Wiki Posts
Search

Why not upgrade eligible?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL
Why not upgrade eligible?

I'm still fairly new to Delta so if this is an obvious question, please forgive my ignorance.

Itinerary for tomorrow - 3 passengers (2 silver) on T fare.

The status line shows "Not Upgrade Eligible."

I'm confused - why would this not be eligible? And that being said, why did it then ask me when I checked in if I wanted to be on the upgrade list?

Thanks.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
You need to split the PNR as the other two pax on the same reservation likely prevent the upgrade for you - just call DL.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:26 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
This will also happen if your on a CRJ 200 which has no FC seats or as far as that goes anything that can even be described as comfortable !

Bob H
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:26 am

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE
As rwoman said - or potentially you're on a bird without first. (CR200)
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
I was recently on a flight with 3 non-medallions in the same PNR as me and was upgraded at the window. Don't know if that was an anomaly or is the way it is supposed to happen. Can't remember if it said I was upgrade eligible on the reservation.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. According to seat map there are 9 FC seats so I don't think that's it.

I know that if I want to be at "my" status level for upgrade, I need to split up, but shouldn't we all be "eligible" as two have status and the third would be a companion?

I really don't expect an upgrade or even care that much as it's barely 3 hours. I'm just trying to understand how it all plays out. Have been upgraded 4 out of 10 flights this year (which is quite lovely) but frankly, it's still a mystery.

Again - much appreciate your help.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yes you should all be eligible, since you can provide a medallion companion upgrade to the person without status. Its probably just because the DL system can't handle having 3 pax on the same itinerary and processing upgrades properly.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by justhere
I was recently on a flight with 3 non-medallions in the same PNR as me and was upgraded at the window. Don't know if that was an anomaly or is the way it is supposed to happen. Can't remember if it said I was upgrade eligible on the reservation.
Was this a gate upgrade? At the gate, every individual is considered based on their individual status and fare. Your companions would not have been on the list if you did not request a companion upgrade for ONE of them.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:45 am

Upgrade

Does the third person have a sky miles account, because they can't be on the upgrade list w/o that
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by LOCommish
I know that if I want to be at "my" status level for upgrade, I need to split up, but shouldn't we all be "eligible" as two have status and the third would be a companion?
I believe in this situation you DEFINITELY need to split the PNR. It is probably just considering your status, not the other medallion. If a GM books travel for themselves and a DM, they will be listed as GM+ companion on the UG list (behind all solo medallions, full fares, and PM/DMs w/ companion).

By splitting the PNR, each medallion can get a window upgrade as a solo, then the non-status companion would clear after all solo medallions at the FO window if space is still available. Note that at the gate you will each be ordered on the upgrade list separately based on individual status/fare. But if most upgrades are given out at the window, this will hurt the chances of each person being upgraded.

You will all be better off if you split the PNR, then link the non-status to one of the medallions so they still receive elite benefits.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dcline414
Was this a gate upgrade? At the gate, every individual is considered based on their individual status and fare. Your companions would not have been on the list if you did not request a companion upgrade for ONE of them.
None of the companions were on the list as I hadn't entered their SM# in the reservation (I know shame on me but I didn't expect any upgrades so I didn't think about it).

I'm not sure if it was a gate upgrade or not. I had just come in on an international flight and when I checked in for the domestic leg (separate itineraries) I found out I had been upgraded.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Platinum, UA 1P, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, MR PM
I had a similar thing happen a few months ago. A (relatively) quick call to DL cleared it.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by justhere
None of the companions were on the list as I hadn't entered their SM# in the reservation (I know shame on me but I didn't expect any upgrades so I didn't think about it).

I'm not sure if it was a gate upgrade or not. I had just come in on an international flight and when I checked in for the domestic leg (separate itineraries) I found out I had been upgraded.
If you had separate PNRs and never entered their FF numbers, in what sense were they considered companions? Did you somehow request companion upgrades for them, even though you shouldn't be able to do this without FF numbers for the companion?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by atbat82
I had a similar thing happen a few months ago. A (relatively) quick call to DL cleared it.
I just go off the phone w/ Delta. Lovely woman had to jump through all sorts of hoops to straighten it out. In the end - she did split the PNRs & my husband & I cleared for the upgrades immediately. The system read him as my companion for the upgrade and it considered me his leaving the third one out. She was able to put the third on the waitlist but suggests checking w/ the gate agent.

Also - suggestion is to book one 'status' w/ one non-status into separate tickets.

Thanks everyone for all your help. It's very much appreciated.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
What is the flight number? I'm kind of surprised that both of you cleared but not the other companion, unless you happened to be lucky and it was V2 inventory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.