Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

When will DL get another nonstop to HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will DL get another nonstop to HKG

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I doubt it. Delta would be flying something bigger than a CR7/CR9 for the relevant YYZ-DTW segment were YYZ traffic the real prize.
It's incorrect information anyway. The largest expat HKG community is in YVR, not YYZ. It's why CX has so much service there for a city its size.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
DTW HKG is always packed in Y and BE relatively empty except for DM op-up. SO if the freight business does not justify to volume the route will get cut.

DTW HKG was implemented due to the proximity of DTW to YYZ which has the second largest ex-HK population in all of North America.
The route has already been "suspended" effective Sep 1 so there is your answer. And YYZ was most definitely not the reason the route was implemented. There were probably not more then 20 to 30 passengers a day on the route from YYZ.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 8:32 pm

The Solution is 787

The issue DL has is it needs a smaller more fuel efficient plane to fly those routes. NW ordered the 787 with overflying NRT in mind. I hear that directly from a number of PMNW folks on the 787 program. There's a premium for the NonStop, the loads are easier to manage than a 747 or 777, and the plane has the range for TPAC missions.

DL could do a JFK-NRT, but it's a long mission that only a subset of their WB fleet could do and it could be a blood bath if it turns into a fare war.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by motytrah
The issue DL has is it needs a smaller more fuel efficient plane to fly those routes. NW ordered the 787 with overflying NRT in mind. I hear that directly from a number of PMNW folks on the 787 program. There's a premium for the NonStop, the loads are easier to manage than a 747 or 777, and the plane has the range for TPAC missions.

DL could do a JFK-NRT, but it's a long mission that only a subset of their WB fleet could do and it could be a blood bath if it turns into a fare war.
Those now come in 2020 so dont be holding out any hope for HKG or similar routes.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:58 pm

The thing to keep in mind about a possible JFK-HKG (and why I think that route will get the nod over ATL or SEA) is that, with the LGA expansion, Delta is starting to look more attractive to business pax in NYC. Of course, whether there are enough of those pax for DL to make JFK-HKG work remains to be seen.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by cdubose98
The thing to keep in mind about a possible JFK-HKG (and why I think that route will get the nod over ATL or SEA) is that, with the LGA expansion, Delta is starting to look more attractive to business pax in NYC. Of course, whether there are enough of those pax for DL to make JFK-HKG work remains to be seen.
I agree with this, and why I think JFK-HKG is the most likely replacement. If Delta is wrangling away a lot of corporate traffic in NYC from other carriers/alliances, then it might have enough of a base to make JFK-HKG work. Although JFK-HKG is a relatively terrible connection to HKG for the rest of the network.

It's just a hunch but maybe they're looking at LAX-HKG. Decent network outlet at the night bank, a pretty decent premium market that might be persuaded by a good product, only one competitor in the market, and Delta does a pretty heavy cargo business out of LA and cargo might be enough to put the route in the black. Who ever thought Sydney would work -- as competitive as it is -- and Delta's done well with that. Maybe HKG is a natural extension of what they've done with both Tokyo markets, Sydney, and Guatemala.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by gustoj820
I agree with this, and why I think JFK-HKG is the most likely replacement. If Delta is wrangling away a lot of corporate traffic in NYC from other carriers/alliances, then it might have enough of a base to make JFK-HKG work. Although JFK-HKG is a relatively terrible connection to HKG for the rest of the network.

It's just a hunch but maybe they're looking at LAX-HKG. Decent network outlet at the night bank, a pretty decent premium market that might be persuaded by a good product, only one competitor in the market, and Delta does a pretty heavy cargo business out of LA and cargo might be enough to put the route in the black. Who ever thought Sydney would work -- as competitive as it is -- and Delta's done well with that. Maybe HKG is a natural extension of what they've done with both Tokyo markets, Sydney, and Guatemala.
DL doesn't have much a shot on JFK-HKG business. CX and UA ( out of EWR) has it all. It's not high on their radar at this point. Already fully served. Travelers that connect into NYC to go to HKG that mean anything in terms of high revenue are not gonna bother with going from LGA to JFK to catch the connection when they have other options. DL just has very little feed into JFK that would support the flight.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by AeoNKiNG
From the US? Sucks we have to connect somewhere. Also non-stops from US to Singapore on ST! Guess I am in the wrong alliance if I am going to SIN and HKG.
Only SQ has US-SIN nonstop, and those you have to pay for revenue J class .
You also know beforehand that your chance of an UG is 0%.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I doubt it. Delta would be flying something bigger than a CR7/CR9 for the relevant YYZ-DTW segment were YYZ traffic the real prize.
I agree with your poor feeder implementation point.
BUT
I notice the HK targeted travel agencies around Greater Toronto pushing DL YYZ DTW HKG and their lower cost over CX YYX HKG, until HainanAir undercut DL by $100 doing YYZ PEK HKG.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 7:46 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
I hope all the time for an ATL-HKG route. I am lazy, and even if the Delta international product is pretty awful, I will put up with it to get on a plane once and fly non stop. I have hoped that this leg would come along for years especially with the Delta buy out of Northwest, but I am starting to believe it wont. I will just having to continue flying to LAX, EWR, SFO, JFK, or ORD and picking up Cathay Pacific, Eva, etc.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Only SQ has US-SIN nonstop, and those you have to pay for revenue J class .
You also know beforehand that your chance of an UG is 0%.
DL's SIN route is a real bummer too. Ex-SIN you practically have to get up in the middle of the night to make the 6:10a departure.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by tentseller
I notice the HK targeted travel agencies around Greater Toronto pushing DL YYZ DTW HKG and their lower cost over CX YYX HKG, until HainanAir undercut DL by $100 doing YYZ PEK HKG.
That not an indication that DL ever operated the route to cater to the YYZ-HKG market, it's just an indication that DL was the cheapest and allowed the travel agents to put the best price in their windows.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 9:06 am

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by motytrah
DL's SIN route is a real bummer too. Ex-SIN you practically have to get up in the middle of the night to make the 6:10a departure.
I don't enjoy early morning departures either, but this is no different than the countless people in spokes who wake up to catch 5:45 AM departures to the nearest hub cities.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by steex
I don't enjoy early morning departures either, but this is no different than the countless people in spokes who wake up to catch 5:45 AM departures to the nearest hub cities.
Agreed. I got up at 2:30 am the last time I was in HEL and perhaps 3:30 am in HKG and next week I am up at 3:30 am for OKC on to ATH. This kind of schedule is normal for me.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by gustoj820
For some reason LAX-HKG completely slipped my mind when I wrote my previous post. I am sure that is another market that is being considered (although I still think they'll go with JFK, at least initially). LAX is a shorter flight than JFK with less competition, but the local market is smaller and the feed is much spottier than at JFK. But, as you say, the feed issue doesn't seem to have affected Sydney very much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.