Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Regional Elite to be dissolved into DGS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Regional Elite to be dissolved into DGS

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by beardy
All part time employees have day jobs and work at REAS only for flight benefits and we shall see if it is enough to keep people from quitting. Limited flight days, flying s3cr on DCI and no ZEDs is a joke.
I'm just curious, since REAS didn't provide any real lift (No planes, crews, etc), why do you expect them to get ZEDs and anything but the bottom of the standby list on Delta/DCI carriers? DCI carriers fly S3C on Mainline, and mainline flies S3C on (some) DCI carriers.. Why? Because you should get priority on your own aircraft.. But if you don't have any aircraft, why should you get any priority?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Having two wholly owned that provide the same service and compete against each other is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. As if there were not enough politics at DL (er, I mean NW) already.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 2:10 pm

Because REAS and DGS are owned by DL. They should have something like S3a, below active mainline but above retirees, for ML flights and then something similar that is below regional employees for those carriers.

However, I am sure DL is just seeing how little, in pay and flight benefits, people are willing to work to fly. If I were a betting man, I'd place money on mainline above and below wing staff eventually being replaced by vendors.

Last edited by beardy; Aug 10, 2012 at 2:21 pm
Old Aug 10, 2012, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Josher747
I'm just curious, since REAS didn't provide any real lift (No planes, crews, etc), why do you expect them to get ZEDs and anything but the bottom of the standby list on Delta/DCI carriers? DCI carriers fly S3C on Mainline, and mainline flies S3C on (some) DCI carriers.. Why? Because you should get priority on your own aircraft.. But if you don't have any aircraft, why should you get any priority?
Because they were owned by Delta. Once upon a time before the merger...Comair was owned by Delta and received exactly the same flight benefits as mainline. Mesaba was owned by NW and their flight benefits were no where near Comair's. When the merger came...instead of raising Mesaba's priority up...they droped Comair's down. When Comair ground staff and Mesaba morphed into REAS...the lower priority remained the same...but they had the added benefit of being able to use ZED fares because they were negociated by Delta with the OA's. From a now outsider...it will be interesting to see what, if anything, will remain as far as flight benefits for Comair and REAS.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
Having two wholly owned that provide the same service and compete against each other is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. As if there were not enough politics at DL (er, I mean NW) already.
Lol...and the one who "won" has Delta as part of its name...
Old Aug 11, 2012, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by OHDL1
it will be interesting to see what, if anything, will remain as far as flight benefits for Comair and REAS.
Both Comair and REAS are closing. Any flight benefits those employees will have in the future depend solely on if they find future employment with a company that provides them.

Originally Posted by OHDL1
Lol...and the one who "won" has Delta as part of its name...
I know right. You can make the argument that you don't work for Delta, when the name of the company you work for is Regional Elite. Tougher when the name is Delta Global Services.

Most of us felt bad for XJ when it was bought by 9E. Even the 9E flight crews I spoke with wish it were the other way around, since 9E is such a terrible company. The term we have is that XJ got "pinnacle'd".

REAS is essentially being pinnacle'd (or maybe delta'd), most employees are either out of jobs or will have new (worse) employment under DGS.

Last edited by beardy; Aug 11, 2012 at 10:01 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.