Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate Agent Shenanigans

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2012, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Gate Agent Shenanigans

Was flying from CSG to SDF with a connection in ATL Friday. CSG to ATL got cancelled (last flight of the day). Had to drive to ATL to catch my 7:05pm connector which I couldn't make it in time and was rebooked on the 8:35pm to SDF.

At the ticket counter the agent put me in 24D, she tried to put me in 10C (EC) but it was blocked. I get to the gate and ask to be moved to 10C but the GA says she has to leave it open in case they have a disabled passenger but she said she would keep me in line in case there wasn't. Only other EC seats were middle rows. I'm also #1 on upgrade with 1 seat remaining.

While I'm sitting I notice that the entire row 10 has been filled with standby passengers (there were other open seats). I approach the GA and she basically said too bad. The GA was rude and unhelpful. I find a red coat and he fixes it. The GA gives some BS excuse and I call her on it. The red coat tells the GA she should have gave preference to medallion members.

Finally, as the flight is boarding they still haven't cleared the final seat in first> I suspect she knew I was #1 on upgrade list and she had no intention of upgrading me until I asked her when she plans on clearing the final seat. She does and I board.

Anyway, should I send an email to Delta for this? While I don't want to come across as a DYKWIA, Delta and I have an agreement, in consideration for my loyalty to their airline they agree to provide me certain benefits (perks, upgrades, EC seats, etc). I think the GA failed in this regard. They represent the company and this type of behavior and disregard for their loyal customer is bad for business.

Thoughts?

Robert
Old Aug 4, 2012, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
if you were #1 for 1 FC seat, why did you mess with the GA and got a red coat involved? I'd have spent my energy on getting that seat instead of row 10.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Because the GA was an a$$ and rude and I wanted her to know what she did wasn't cool. I wanted the EC seat incase something happened and the upgrade didn't come through.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rob0225
Because the GA was an ... and rude and I wanted her to know what she did wasn't cool.
sounds like you achieved your goal. Let's move on.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 7:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Platinum (Life), Emirates Gold,GHA Black
NEVER piss on a GA! First flight?
Old Aug 4, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by 122554
I like how you think!
Old Aug 4, 2012, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Because the GA was an a$$ and rude and I wanted her to know what she did wasn't cool. I wanted the EC seat incase something happened and the upgrade didn't come through.
You won the battle for 10C and lost the war for F. As soon as you boarded, you lost your UG priority and that GA of all GA's wasn't going to do you a solid and come find you after you ratted him out.

Payback is a b**** and you got to sit in steerage thinking of the smirk on the GA's face.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
You won the battle for 10C and lost the war for F. As soon as you boarded, you lost your UG priority and that GA of all GA's wasn't going to do you a solid and come find you after you ratted him out.

Payback is a b**** and you got to sit in steerage thinking of the smirk on the GA's face.
No I didn't. I got my upgrade. I won both the battle and the war!
Old Aug 4, 2012, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

..and why are you guys afraid to call out the GA? They weren't doing their job and were acting contrary to what they were supposed to. The reason they do is because people don't call them out or report them.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
..and why are you guys afraid to call out the GA? They weren't doing their job and were acting contrary to what they were supposed to. The reason they do is because people don't call them out or report them.
And, in this case, you did by reporting her to the "red coat". Since you got what you deserved and DL tracks complaining passengers, I sincerely believe that you should let this one go. You may have a worse situation in the future.:-:
Old Aug 4, 2012, 8:15 pm

Programs: Skyteam
I think GA knew you would be upgraded thus did not bother with your EC. Playing the system is fun but, how far would you play?
Old Aug 4, 2012, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by skchin
I think GA knew you would be upgraded thus did not bother with your EC. Playing the system is fun but, how far would you play?
Ditto, you were getting the upgrade anyways so no use putting you into 10C and splitting up the party that needed the seats together, the passengers that got into row 10 were confirmed and inconvenienced passengers so it's not like she was trying to get her friends in there.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond
Sounds like a DYKWIA to me!
Old Aug 4, 2012, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Love to see what the GA entered into the system about you.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by 122554
Call me old fashioned, but I don't think you should piss on anyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.