Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

LAX Sky Club will no longer be self service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX Sky Club will no longer be self service

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Angry LAX Sky Club will no longer be self service

Checking in this morning the agent said renovations are coming in a couple of months to remove the self serve bar and put in a "full service bar." She said this as if it was a good thing (I guess for those that want the "premium" booze)

Just what I need, standing in line for a soft drink.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club

LAX is already one of the most miserable SCs (apart from some of the agents that work there).
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Perfectly happy getting my own drink...how about investing in more power outlets instead??
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This is terrible. Now the LAX SC will be like the zoo at DCA with lines for any beverage other than coffee or water stretching the entire length of the lounge.

This lounge was renovated very recently. What a waste of money--and inconvenience for passengers--to tear it up so soon.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:18 am

Programs: DL Million Miler, Skymiles GM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite
If an alien life form landed on earth and the first thing he did was read FT, he'd be convinced that the 3 major challenges facing mankind are (1) the inability to get excessive amounts of free liquor quickly, (2) the fake cheese scandal, and (3) feet on the bulkhead.

Oh the horrors! Customers will have to ASK for a glass of Woodfords rather than pouring into a 12 oz coffee cup.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Or customers who have paid greatly to use the SC will have to wait and then tip a rude bartender to get a third of a glass of mediocre wine to go with that fake cheese and cracker or pita chip crumbs.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by javabytes

LAX is already one of the most miserable SCs (apart from some of the agents that work there).
I guess you've been rather unlucky with the agents. The few times I've been in there, I've had awesome agents; once going out of their way to accomodate me on a VDB. Took care of the agenda from the club instead of sending me down to the gate.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
...will have to wait and then tip a rude bartender...
If the bartender is rude, why do you tip them?
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
Maybe this will also stop people from bending their elbow to much.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:40 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is terrible. Now the LAX SC will be like the zoo at DCA with lines for any beverage other than coffee or water stretching the entire length of the lounge.

This lounge was renovated very recently. What a waste of money--and inconvenience for passengers--to tear it up so soon.
+1

For an airline management team that purports to have its act together, it's sort of embarrassing to go through a renovation on top of a new renovation.

Doesn't seem like they have the shareholders' interests at heart when they waste this kind of money. (Since shareholder interests are apparently the only thing that matters).
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
Well if you plan to have more than one (aka a full 5oz serving of wine, which sometimes requires two trips to the bar), then a failure to tip for the first can result in a much longer wait and smaller pour for subsequent trips.

Stiffing a bartender in a bad mood is the surest way I know to end the day sober!
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
it's sort of embarrassing to go through a renovation on top of a new renovation.
I remember maybe a year ago, when the TPA SC had a bar. They ripped out the bar and made it self serve. No more than 6 months later they had removed the self serve and put a bar back in. Seems somewhat counterproductive to me.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:51 am

These costly and counterproductive re-renovations almost seem to raise the question of whether someone is benefitting personally from unneeded work or at least wants to raise the budget and influence of the area they control.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
Maybe this will also stop people from bending their elbow to much.
Perhaps. But for those who pay $300+ for a membership, it is frustrating when you only have 20 minutes to relax in the SC and you have to spend 10 minutes or more waiting at the bar.

IMO this is the biggest advantage of DL's (self serve) club at ORD over all of the UA clubs... they are all often crowded, but I found myself $5-10 poorer after a visit to a UA club, and 1-2 drinks soberer.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:54 am

Maybe when DL rips up the LAX SC for the second time in extremely recent memory, they can fix some of the stuff they did wrong before and install more power outlets. Better yet, they could re-install some private cubicles to enable business travelers to work effectively.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.