Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

USA Basketball "Dream" Team flew Delta...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2012, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, TK Elite (*Gold), AA EXP (matched and prob not for long!)

and for all those who complain about being too tall for the seats, check this out...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1207/team.usa.basketball.off.court./content.13.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1207/team.usa.basketball.off.court./content.17.html
Old Jul 30, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: Starwood
Originally Posted by dmorbust

and for all those who complain about being too tall for the seats, check this out...
lol, i know right...when i saw the pics online today, I immediately thought about the ever complaining DYKWIA DL medallions that are always quick to mention how long their legs are or how broad their shoulders are....

If King James and the rest of the Dream team could sleep like babies, then your rants are no more welcome
Old Jul 30, 2012, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
And it looks like coaches sit in Y. Pretty sure that is Coach K in the back of the picture.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL SM
Man, you can see "the brow" very well from 3 rows away.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by pbarnette
And it looks like coaches sit in Y. Pretty sure that is Coach K in the back of the picture.
At least it's Economy Comfort.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Must be a domestic connecting flight? Figured they'd take a lie-flat to LHR at least.

Anyone know what plane that is?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by vxmike
Must be a domestic connecting flight? Figured they'd take a lie-flat to LHR at least.

Anyone know what plane that is?
Looks like it is 3 rows of first class (you can see the bulkhead wall in the lower right of the picture) with a curtain dividing F and Y. It also appears to have 3 seats down the left side of the plane. Initially I thought MD-88 because of the curtain, but it has 4 rows of F. The 319 and 320 have 3 rows of F, but I don't know about the curtain divider between the cabins.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL GM, Hyatt PT, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
It was an A319. They flew BCN-LTN

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/5524650/
Old Jul 30, 2012, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL - Silver, AA - EXP, Marriott - Platinum Premier
I don't understand, where is Larry Bird, Magic, and MJ? I thought someone was posting pictures of the Dream Team
Old Jul 30, 2012, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by csdripps
I don't understand, where is Larry Bird, Magic, and MJ? I thought someone was posting pictures of the Dream Team
+1
The one that would beat these pretenders any day of the week.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:31 pm

I hate to sound stupid here, but for those of you who were quick to identify the picture as "Delta" what were the giveaways? I've done my fair share of flying, but almost the entirety of it is has been on DL and a few ST flights -- so I don't know much about the basis for differentiation. Seat color? Blankets? I don't see any DL logos floating about.

Plus another poster suggested Barcelona->London. If so, why the wrapped FC blanket under Lebron's arm? A bit of a short flight for that type of amenity, no? I guess it is VIP.

I just enjoyed seeing this post after watching a UA, "we fly the US olympic team" commercial on the television no more than a minute ago.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, TK Elite (*Gold), AA EXP (matched and prob not for long!)
Originally Posted by westand
I hate to sound stupid here, but for those of you who were quick to identify the picture as "Delta" what were the giveaways? I've done my fair share of flying, but almost the entirety of it is has been on DL and a few ST flights -- so I don't know much about the basis for differentiation. Seat color? Blankets? I don't see any DL logos floating about.

Plus another poster suggested Barcelona->London. If so, why the wrapped FC blanket under Lebron's arm? A bit of a short flight for that type of amenity, no? I guess it is VIP.

I just enjoyed seeing this post after watching a UA, "we fly the US olympic team" commercial on the television no more than a minute ago.
The blanket is recognizable as a Delta businesselite blanket by the color and quilt patchwork, and the amenities kit in this picture in the link below can only be a Delta businesselite kit. In fact, if you could take the photo and zoom in on the amenities kit, you just might be able to read the Delta letters and logo.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...ntent.17.html#

Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:23 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
The Lakers have a chartered Delta A319 that flies them to away games (it was flight DL8937 last season). But from looking at pictures/videos of the team inside, it's a specially fitted A319, that's pretty much all F.

Even if UA is an Olympic sponsor, I imagine the USA Basketball team charters their own plane for several reasons:

1) Much taller than most business/first classes can hold, and so more cost-effective to just get their own plane.
2) Higher profile of the athletes than other semi-professional Olympians.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:31 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by amolkold
The Lakers have a chartered Delta A319 that flies them to away games (it was flight DL8937 last season). But from looking at pictures/videos of the team inside, it's a specially fitted A319, that's pretty much all F.

Even if UA is an Olympic sponsor, I imagine the USA Basketball team charters their own plane for several reasons:

1) Much taller than most business/first classes can hold, and so more cost-effective to just get their own plane.
2) Higher profile of the athletes than other semi-professional Olympians.
Seem to remember that NW had some 320s they'd reconfigure between domestic Y/F and sports-charters. Took a few days to pull/install the seats, yet during the season, guess it was worth it. Guess it would be no problem to have a "baseball config" and "basketball config".

Don't most "marquee" teams have their own private aircraft? Something about the Lakers or Nicks having an all-out setup, with 4-5star catered dinners, life-flat beds fro transcons, etc.

As for the Olympics, I don't see them using anything that isn't pre-configured.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I don't think it's the NBA charter version of the 319 with all FC seats. You can pull up that seat map on DL's site, but it doesn't match what you can see in the pictures.

The picture of them all sleeping shows 3 FC seats with a hard wall in front and a soft divider/curtain behind. The seat map for the all FC charter does not have any sets of 3 seats together between dividers. It also appears to be regular economy in the rear with a 3x3 seat config. That seems to match the regular 319 layout.

Considering it was a short hop from BCN to LTN, I can understand why they might just run a regular chartered 319.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.