Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA Prohibits Recline

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2012, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by james318
Does it specify in the CoC, or in some DOT rule that I paid for the space into which my seat reclines, vs the space that is present when the person in front of me is not reclined?
Obviously not. Because the recline button resides with the passenger in front, however, Delta clearly intends for him to control the space immediately behind the backrest.

Does that mean that the airline can seat me in cargo, since I've only paid for carriage? Maybe an overhead would work as well, though folks had better be some really pushy gate lice.
Cute.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 5:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The level of entitlement that some people have on the space or amenities of other passengers is really surprising.

I haven't experienced a space-flght like this, but on more than one occasion, the person sitting behind reached through the space between my seat and the wall and slammed down the window shade - then expressed annoyance when I immediately reached over and pushed it right up again. Seriously, it's MY space and I'll do as I please in it. That means window shade open or closed at MY discretion, and seat back up or down at my discretion - and no, you can't rest your smelly feet across the back of my armrest either
Old Jul 22, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
It's sad that in the FC cabin, a person cannot use a laptop (consider ~15"), and the person in front cannot recline to get rest at the same time.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 5:09 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CJKatl
No, you didn't rent space. You paid or transportation: aka carriage. You have no right to any specific seat, nor air rights in front of or behind your seat. You only have a contract for transport from Point A to Point B.
Not quite. You pay for a FC seat and no FC seats are designated as limited recline. To be moved to a limited recline seat would mean that you are due a refund of the fare difference.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Not quite. You pay for a FC seat and no FC seats are designated as limited recline. To be moved to a limited recline seat would mean that you are due a refund of the fare difference.
Ridiculous--and wrong. If you think there is something in the Contract of Carriage that talks about how far a seat should recline, or not--find it and post it here.

Last edited by atl runner; Jul 22, 2012 at 5:18 pm
Old Jul 22, 2012, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by HongKonger
This is not allowed on DL flights nor on most other carriers.

If someone placed it on my seat so I couldn't recline I would remove it and/or alert the FA to enforce DL's policy of not allowing these on flights.
Source?

Some airlines prohibit http://www.kneedefender.com/ but, unless something has changed in the past couple months, Delta is not on that list.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Does that mean that the airline can seat me in cargo, since I've only paid for carriage? Maybe an overhead would work as well, though folks had better be some really pushy gate lice.
If course not, because, as you already know, there are FAA regulations requiring each passenger be in a seat.

Rather than childishly throwing out obviously irrational scenarios, why not show us where in the CoC or FAA regulations there is any requirement that DL provide the non-recline amount of space between the seat back in front and the passenger's seat? Or may I save you the time and tell you it doesn't exist?
Old Jul 22, 2012, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
http://images.delta.com.edgesuite.ne...rriage_dom.pdf

Domestic CoC doesn't talk about: seat recline, tray table, use of a laptop computer, or "personal space".
Old Jul 22, 2012, 5:31 pm

I agree the OP should be given a refund for at least the difference between F and Y. When I've been "downgraded" in the past, DL has been very good about refunding the fare difference.

Even if one purchases an F ticket, one is not guaranteed any specific services or, for that matter, even a seat in F. The CoC allows a downgrade, but requires a refund for the cost difference: "Carriage in Alternative Cabin Delta offers to accommodate the passenger in a section of the aircraft other than that specified on his/her ticket at no extra charge; provided however that if a passenger is seated in a section for which a lower fare applies, the passenger will be entitled to a refund of the difference in fare."
Old Jul 22, 2012, 5:34 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I agree the OP should be given a refund for at least the difference between F and Y. When I've been "downgraded" in the past, DL has been very good about refunding the fare difference.

Even if one purchases an F ticket, one is not guaranteed any specific services or, for that matter, even a seat in F. The CoC allows a downgrade, but requires a refund for the cost difference: "Carriage in Alternative Cabin Delta offers to accommodate the passenger in a section of the aircraft other than that specified on his/her ticket at no extra charge; provided however that if a passenger is seated in a section for which a lower fare applies, the passenger will be entitled to a refund of the difference in fare."
However, the problem with the OP requesting a refund based on his/her move back to coach is that the change was apparently "voluntary."
Old Jul 22, 2012, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by dEagleS
http://images.delta.com.edgesuite.ne...rriage_dom.pdf

Domestic CoC doesn't talk about: seat recline, tray table, use of a laptop computer, or "personal space".
But there are people who think the CoC isn't a contract, or that it doesn't apply to them.

It's a contract. It's easy to read. It's been attorney reviewed, vetted, challenged and Schumered. It applies.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 5:39 pm

However, the problem with the OP requesting a refund based on his/her move back to coach is that the change was apparently "voluntary."
No, it wasn't purely voluntary. From dictionary.com, voluntary is something done, made, brought about, undertaken, etc., of one's own accord or by free choice. Clearly, moving seats wasn't something the OP just thought about doing on his own. It was not his own accord, rather it was because of the FA's actions the OP even thought of moving. Free choice also implies no outside influence. Here, the outside factor was the FA's made up rule.

But for the FA's incorrect request, the OP would not have moved. While it would be within DL's discretion, an passenger who choses to move so as to not pick a fight with an ill-informed FA should not be treated as a passenger who made a willing choice.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 5:43 pm

Agreed, in part. But for the FA's incorrect request, the OP would not have moved. While it would be within DL's discretion, an passenger who choses to move so as to not pick a fight with an ill-informed FA should not be treated as a passenger who made a willing choice.
I agree, but the OP is more likely to get something for the inconvenience as good customer service rather than technical compensation for a forced downgrade.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 5:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Agreed, in part. But for the FA's incorrect request, the OP would not have moved. While it would be within DL's discretion, an passenger who choses to move so as to not pick a fight with an ill-informed FA should not be treated as a passenger who made a willing choice.
Show me where in the CoC it says that you have a right to an informed FA?
Old Jul 22, 2012, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by sbrower
Show me where in the CoC it says that you have a right to an informed FA?
Ouch. Just think how many flights would be grounded if that were a requirement. For that matter, if passengers had to be informed none of us would ever be stuck in a middle seat again.

While there is no right to an informed FA, the OP did the right thing, IMO. Rather than argue with the FA, the OP did what he thought would make him most comfortable during the flight with as little disruption or conflict s possible. IMO, in doing the right thing, he was constructively removed from F and should be entitled to compensation. As someone else pointed out, in all likelihood, DL will refund the difference - likely in the form of vouchers - because it would be the right thing to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.