Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

9F Seats 1 Day out - DM doesn't clear upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

9F Seats 1 Day out - DM doesn't clear upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by Dovster
Would my pre-window complaint be included in that?

I have the following itinerary in late July-early August. TLV-JFK-SEA-SLC-LAS-ATL-JFK-TLV.

Believe it or not, I have not (yet) been upgraded on the SLC-LAS segment!

That means for 1 hr and 25 minutes, I will have to sit with the peasants!

(Okay, I have been given an Economy Comfort seat for that segment, so they will probably be at least pleasant peasants, but that is little comfort. I am a high, might, exalted, Gold Medallion and I deserve better than this.)
Your rant would go under an entirely different category: I want to sit in First/Business so I buy it...and I'm still in the back!!
Old Jul 9, 2012, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by dcline414

Except for the untouchables (FOs) and those of whom we do not speak (kettles), GMs are the bottom of the food chain and rarely (if ever) worthy of even a BF upgrade.
DMs are also untouchables. I know. There was a beautiful, blonde, DM sitting next to me on one of my recent flights and, as soon as she saw me, she said, "If you even think of touching me I am going to break both your arms, gouge out your eyes, and use my knee to make certain that you never procreate again!"
Old Jul 9, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by javabytes
You didn't post your return flight date and number, but DL 109 tomorrow currently has no upgrade inventory, though they are still selling at least 9 seats up front.

Ouch!
Could the OP's flight be fully booked in coach? I know DL sometimes tries to force people to buy FC to get on the flight when coach is full, versus the NW strategy fo clearing out some coach seats via upgrades and aiming for the business travelers who can buy full Y but not FC. A DM agent told me a couple months ago that when coach is full (meaning that the number of tickets sold is at least as great as the number of coach seats), upgrades don't happen until the gate, but I'm not sure whether this is true.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
Your rant would go under an entirely different category: I want to sit in First/Business so I buy it...and I'm still in the back!!
No, he buys M+ and upgrades, although in a sense buying M on international is paying for a BE/FC seat.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
No, he buys M+ and upgrades, although in a sense buying M on international is paying for a BE/FC seat.
In truth, there is very little difference between what I pay for my M fare and what an I fare would cost me.

The big advantage of the M fare is that changes can be made in both the routing and the dates for free -- whereas on an I fare, that can prove prohibitively expensive.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
I want to sit in First/Business so I buy it, or I buy an upgradeable coach fare and use an SWU or use miles to upgrade, or I get BizElite award tickets no matter the redemption level because I really want to sit up front...and I'm still in the back!! just seemed too long of a thread title.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
Seriously, do we need a new thread every time somebody doesn't get their upgrade, in advance or otherwise?

Mods, for your consideration:
Sticky: I didn't get my upgrade at my window:The Consolidated Rant
As far as I can recall, I got my upgrade at the window ONCE this year (LGA-MSP flying the morning of July 4).
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by sethb
As far as I can recall, I got my upgrade at the window ONCE this year (LGA-MSP flying the morning of July 4).
I have not been upgraded at the window at all this year. They've all been BF as a Diamond. (All to/from DTW)

I can remember clearing DTW-LAS as a Silver with ease. A few weeks ago I was #3 as a Diamond on a K fare, with 4 seats available. (No big convention I was aware of either)

FCM seems to be working for Delta. I can't really begrudge them of that.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: DL EOS...
Originally Posted by dd992emo
Your sense of entitlement isn't nearly egregious enough for you to be posting in the DL forum. You some kind of hippie, or what?
Yeah, it's sad - I even fill out the surveys...

Now, if I could afford to buy F I would but until then it's sLUT fares and a big happy grin while sitting up front on a much thicker wallet. And, if not - those bulkhead EC seats ain't bad. At least my feet sneak a ride up front and a HOOU or two 'get's the job done!
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Could the OP's flight be fully booked in coach? I know DL sometimes tries to force people to buy FC to get on the flight when coach is full, versus the NW strategy fo clearing out some coach seats via upgrades and aiming for the business travelers who can buy full Y but not FC. A DM agent told me a couple months ago that when coach is full (meaning that the number of tickets sold is at least as great as the number of coach seats), upgrades don't happen until the gate, but I'm not sure whether this is true.
A brilliant evil plan, yet way too much game-theory without a ton of historical data. The issue is, if the only seat available is in H/Q-up or F, the pax might just take another flight, or even another airline. The question is, would the pax buy a full-Y, discounted-F, full-F... or not take that trip? There's too many options for the pax for DL to "force" them into an expensive F bucket.

Originally Posted by james318
I have not been upgraded at the window at all this year. They've all been BF as a Diamond. (All to/from DTW)

I can remember clearing DTW-LAS as a Silver with ease. A few weeks ago I was #3 as a Diamond on a K fare, with 4 seats available. (No big convention I was aware of either)

FCM seems to be working for Delta. I can't really begrudge them of that.
DTW-LAS is one route I can speak of, yet unfortunately the data is aging. I can say that the route was one of the most entertaining (the question isn't if there will be drama, it's how much), and I was about 100% as Plat and 55% as Gold (it was a hard route to do as a Silver). It's defintely a route for the upper-Elite, on a mid-bucket, for any level of predictability.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
Well I am happy to report I just got an upgrade email exactly 1 minute prior to my "It's Time To Check In" email for this leg. This is certainly a first for me. I usually get the emails right around 5-6 EST.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
As a DM I have cleared 100% of my 62 legs thus far this year. Some not until the gate, many at about 24 hours. Most of the ones that I don't clear at the window are coded as Business rather than Domestic First. I prime example of that are 2 flights I frequently take out of DTW to BOS. The first is coded as Business and I have never cleared at the window, the other Domestic First about 2 hours later, I have always cleared at the window. So with those data points I am assuming the criteria of holding back the UG inventory for the Domestic Business Class is greater than holding back for Domestic First flights.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JesseRohr
Well I am happy to report I just got an upgrade email exactly 1 minute prior to my "It's Time To Check In" email for this leg. This is certainly a first for me. I usually get the emails right around 5-6 EST.
The timing of upgrades that clear between the window and the gate always surprises me. In March, I got the upgrade e-mail at 1am prior to a 7am-ish departure out of GSO. I wonder why that was the "magic" time at which point RM decided that last-minute F purchases were unlikely??

Glad to hear you aren't going to have to slum it in the back with the FO's and GM's...
Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Singleflyer
As a DM I have cleared 100% of my 62 legs thus far this year. Some not until the gate, many at about 24 hours. Most of the ones that I don't clear at the window are coded as Business rather than Domestic First. I prime example of that are 2 flights I frequently take out of DTW to BOS. The first is coded as Business and I have never cleared at the window, the other Domestic First about 2 hours later, I have always cleared at the window. So with those data points I am assuming the criteria of holding back the UG inventory for the Domestic Business Class is greater than holding back for Domestic First flights.
Someone may know for sure, but I'm pretty sure that domestic business vs. domestic first makes no difference in upgrades. The only difference is that your "business" flights are continuing on to (or are a continuation of) international flights with the same flight number. The only exceptions are the JFK-LAX/SFO transcons which are true business elite.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
Originally Posted by Singleflyer
Funny you bring up the Business (X) upgrade. Check this out. Mine is the same way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.