Community
Wiki Posts
Search

checked in wheelchair - no longer free

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2012, 5:32 am
Original Poster

checked in wheelchair - no longer free

I'm travelling with older parents who need travel wheelchairs. They are foldup, in a travel bag, about 1/2 the size of a travel set of golf clubs.

When I contacted Delta last July about baggage fees for them (I heard they should be free), they responded:

Assistive devices refer not only to wheelchairs, canes, or crutches, but
also include any device that may be necessary to assist a customer with
a disability to perform a major life function. Assistive devices are not
counted as any part of the carry-on baggage allotment. They do not have
to fit in SizeCheck units, but must fit in FAA approved onboard
locations.

However looking online at https://www.delta.com/traveling_chec...lies/index.jsp

all it refers to as free are breathing apparatus and needles/syringes.

Is anyone aware if there was a specific policy change? I'm guessing I emailed them last year because there was no definitive information on the website about them. United and Southwest clearly state on their sites that they are free; if they still are for Delta, I wish they'd list it also.

Thanks.

Jeff
Old Jul 6, 2012, 5:42 am

Programs: DL Gold
I just finished a trip with my partner, who uses a wheelchair, and as always we gate-checked his chair and it was free. I'm guessing there would be a lawsuit concerning an ADA violation if DL tried to charge for transporting wheelchairs.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Wheelchairs are still covered explicitly in the Contract of Carriage. See Rule 190 A 3 in the Domestic C of C. No reason to worry. There's a comparable rule in the Intl C of C.

Personal Assistance Devices and Medical Equipment/Supplies
Subject to the availability of space on the aircraft, passengers may also check or carry on personal assistive devices such as wheelchairs or crutches, provided the passenger is dependent on them, and medical
supplies or equipment, provided the item meets the applicable size and weight restrictions. Such items do not count towards the free baggage allowance.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Hopefully checkin goes smoothly. I remember at JFK 2 years ago it took the DL agents seemingly forever to find how to check the bags for no cost (after we explained to them that she should be free).

Jeff
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
An updated thread title would save people time with this.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:05 am

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by jwhite4

However looking online at https://www.delta.com/traveling_chec...lies/index.jsp

all it refers to as free are breathing apparatus and needles/syringes.

Jeff
A couple of more clicks (Services for Travelers with Disabilities) & you can find wheelchair-specific info here:

https://www.delta.com/planning_reser...ices/index.jsp

It doesn't explicitly state that there's no charge for checking wheelchairs, the info quoted by 3Cforme seems to cover that issue.

I have a friend who uses a wheelchair & is a frequent flier (DL GM or PM these days). Every now & then she'll come across an agent who doesn't know various rules or procedures. Typically a quick call to a supervisor, Red Coat, or similar works it all out.

Good luck!
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:32 am

Programs: National ES
All personal medical devices and or mobility devices are checked with no charge and no limits on weight. If you are given a hassle ask to speak to a CRO, or complaint resolution official.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Well I discovered an extra complication to the problem. There were 4 of us travelling: 3 suitcases and 2 wheelchairs. Apparently because of weight restrictions flying into EYW, you can only have 1 checked bag per person, period.

We got the 3 suitcases and 1 wheelchair checked in, but the agent said we couldn't check in the 2nd wheelchair, we'd need to bring it to the gate, where they'd gate check it for free. [But it still ends up in the baggage compartment, so what difference does it really make if they counter check it or gate check it??].

Although most of the time it was underneath one of the wheelchairs family members were being transported in, it was still a hassle to deal with it in the airport. It was particularly annoying at ATL, where the gate agent just told me to leave it at the bottom of the jetway (it had a pink gate tag on it), but then the flight attendent leader pages me to come claim my "black duffle bag that's sitting outside the plane."

Jeff
Old Jul 8, 2012, 2:16 pm

Interesting take on the problem.

It's perfectly normal to gate check wheelchairs at the door of the plane and pick them back up at the same place, just as is common with strollers.

Yes, a gate-checked chair usually goes in the baggage compartment, but for those of us who depend on our wheelchairs for mobility, the less time the airline has the wheelchair in its "care", the better. And the hassle factor of using an airline's wheelchair, at least for me, is approximately 6000 times the hassle factor of using my own chair.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

We use airport wheelchairs, and use the portable one are out destinations.

I think I'd be upset if you wanted to use a personal one in the airport, and was told, "You can't, you need to check it." But to say, "You can't check it as baggage, you need to bring it to the gate with you" sounds equally ludicrous.

I'll wait and see what happens when we leave Key West.

Jeff

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.