Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Booster on award ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2012, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Mileage Booster on award ticket?

Just found that DL is offering Mileage Booster... on my award ticket? Can you really buy up-miles on an award ticket?

Granted, rates aren't that great, $0.02/rdm for the 3k mile option. Sure miss the NW days of 2k miles for $20, if you had the USBank card. Does DL offer better rates on Mileage Booster if you have an AmEx?
Old Jul 2, 2012, 7:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Delta certainly has no objection to people buying miles at marked up prices. The fact that they associate selling miles with your particular itinerary is a marketing gimmick.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH gold
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
Delta certainly has no objection to people buying miles at marked up prices. The fact that they associate selling miles with your particular itinerary is a marketing gimmick.
Hey, if the marketing folks can convince people to pay more for useless stuff, all the more power to them. It enhances DL profitability while also acting like a tax on those bad at math (see: lottery).

While they are at it, they should charge kettles for the opportunity to earn RDM on flights (rather than just MQM), or perhaps charge for seat-assignments.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Zomba
Hey, if the marketing folks can convince people to pay more for useless stuff, all the more power to them. It enhances DL profitability while also acting like a tax on those bad at math (see: lottery).

While they are at it, they should charge kettles for the opportunity to earn RDM on flights (rather than just MQM), or perhaps charge for seat-assignments.
I suspect that the new E fares will evolve this way: first no seat selection, next few or no status/redeemable miles, then no carry on roller bag,......
Old Jul 2, 2012, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I suspect that the new E fares will evolve this way: first no seat selection, next few or no status/redeemable miles, then no carry on roller bag,......
iirc, during the testing, E-fares were available DTW-FLL (competeng against Spirit?), yet they were only about $10(?) less then the T-fare. Just one fee, and the value is lost. Then again, when you are displaying by sorted-total-cost, it does get your name to the top of the search list. Yet at a certain point, shaving $10 of to charge someone a $10 fee is going to end up with a net-negative, as almost certainly a human became involved in the fee transaction.

Someone will buy it. Yet maybe DL has found a way to get the idea to stick.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
Every time I see the price they charge for these I laugh thinking you are clearly are not very bright if you do this, unless, maybe to "top" off, and even then, better not be many since there are so many other ways.

Think they will keep this if they go to a straight 1 cpm redemption? That would be pretty fascinating to watch as the math should be so simple at that point, even thought they are actually getting screwed less than before....
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Actually found a r/t for 32.5K and am being 'gifted' (flight purchased from) from another's account. My account is about 3K short of this level and I was wondering whose account the 3K go to if purchased from the 'mileage booster'. My SM# is going to be on the ticket and I'm paying for the taxes. Don't fly Delta much and definitely not awards for a long time and didn't see the answer in the searches I made so am adding it to this thread. If anyone has done this , I'd be thankful for the advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.