Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to add Gogo WiFi to international fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DL2SXM
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1467479-dl-747-fleet-operation.html
Print Wikipost

Delta to add Gogo WiFi to international fleet

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2013, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
25 dollars would be my speculation for a TPAC - possibly only 20$ for the TATL
The old Boeing Sat Wifi was about $20 a flight, and that was back in in the early 2000's before the service was discontinued and the sats repurposed. UA is using Panasonic's Sat based system, which is going to be priced between $15-20 for long haul with specific tiers where the PAX pays for a fast or slow service.

I would mention one thing, Ku is going to have a ton more raw bandwidth than the ATG and new ATG-4 services gogo has on land based systems. So I would worry less about bandwidth hogs. In theory a Ku system could pump 5-6 times the bandwidth of the new GOGO ATG-4 service (9.6Mbit). As an added benefit the high latency makes VOIP calling very frusting.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Chris_DeltaCustExp
WidgetHead...exactly the info I was about to post. We're still waiting for a supplemental type certificate for the a/c. The system is installed but we're not able to activate it for further testing until Uncle Sam says it's OK.
Let me know when they approved it. I wasn't sure if DL is ready to used WIFI in a few month or so. How much longer is that? We are waiting for the month now.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 5:50 am
Suspended

Yes, sad.

Originally Posted by DLATL777
Believe it or not, I am actually saddened a bit by this. I always found some peace in being able to take a long international flight and disconnect for a few hours. I know LH has offered this for a bit, but I do not fly them internationally enough to utilize it.

Similar to LH though-I am sure it will not be cheap.
Agree. Loved not having Internet access going and coming from Asia and Europe.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 7:55 am
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
The status hasn't changed. Still awaiting STC.

Originally Posted by N830MH
Let me know when they approved it. I wasn't sure if DL is ready to used WIFI in a few month or so. How much longer is that? We are waiting for the month now.
Old May 19, 2013, 6:29 am

Transatlantic wifi

Hey! Does anyone know if deltas Airbus 330 from
Amsterdam - seattle got WI-FI?

Last edited by RSSrsvp; May 19, 2013 at 10:48 am Reason: Merged into existing thread on this subject
Old May 19, 2013, 6:41 am

Welcome to FT!

No wifi on TATL flights yet, though DL is working on it.
Old May 19, 2013, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are still early in the process of installing satellite-based Wifi systems on the DL international fleet -- http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1651. I have yet to hear of any active aircraft.

The DL domestic fleet uses Gogo's land-based systems which uses tower based antennas. These do not work outside the terrestrial US/Canada.
Old May 19, 2013, 7:03 am

Thank you! But when i fly from Amsterdam - seattle, is there a chance that i can use WI-FI while i'm in US Airspace?
Old May 19, 2013, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by prsea
Thank you! But when i fly from Amsterdam - seattle, is there a chance that i can use WI-FI while i'm in US Airspace?
As far as I know, no. The dedicated long haul fleet is not equipped with ground-based wifi.
Old May 19, 2013, 7:16 am

Thanks for the answers! I'm just a bit confussed right now.. Because this page says that Delta Transatlantic flights got WI-FI? http://m.travelerstoday.com/articles...-now-wi-fi.htm
Old May 19, 2013, 7:35 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
No - the A330s don't have any wifi equipment. Also AMS-SEA is only in US airspace for a very short time (less than an hour at the very end of the flight).
Old May 19, 2013, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Hey! Does anyone know if deltas Airbus 330 from
Amsterdam - seattle got WI-FI?
Welcome to FT, prsea!

No wifi yet... Existing discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...nal-fleet.html

Old May 19, 2013, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rwoman
Welcome to FT, prsea!

No wifi yet... Existing discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...nal-fleet.html

Merged into existing thread.

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Old May 24, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
International WiFI updates?

Anyone heard any recent updates as to when the international WiFi rollout is scheduled to begin? I've heard rumors that it could be within the next couple of months and will most likely begin with the 777 fleet but haven't heard anything announced on this topic in quite a while.

Thanks!

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Jun 3, 2013 at 11:53 am Reason: Merged into existing thread on this topic
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: Delta-Diamond Medallion, United-Premier 1K, Hilton-Gold, SPG-Gold, National-Executive, Hertz-Preside
I was a 76G on Friday, May 31, 2013 from ATL-JFK. This plane had the new BE interior AND it had WiFi. The FAs didn't even know it had Wifi. For some reason, about 2/3 through the flight, I decided to turn on wifi on my iPhone and there it was.

Would love to have a list and timeline! I fly that route (and back) weekly and it would be great to be able to work on the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.