Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to add Gogo WiFi to international fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DL2SXM
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1467479-dl-747-fleet-operation.html
Print Wikipost

Delta to add Gogo WiFi to international fleet

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 3:23 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by misterbean
Or maybe it's a domestic 763
Originally Posted by kjnangre
I flew on an international 763 JFK-SVO in February. We had land-based wifi while flying over the US (ie, first hour of the flight)

VCE-ATL on 6/4 looks like a 76Z, which is the same as what DL uses for many of its TCON flights. I would not be surprised if land-based Gogo is available while flying over the US.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:23 pm

On N668US now (ICN-DTW) and wifi's working. 3.7MB download, 470K upload and 700mSec latency. Not bad at all.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by mikepa
On N668US now (ICN-DTW) and wifi's working. 3.7MB download, 470K upload and 700mSec latency. Not bad at all.
Awesome. Better than SC! Not sure if it's a compliment or an insult to DL..
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:30 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
NRT-ATL 30Mar14, FA announced at the start of the flight that WiFi would be available four hours into the flight, once we cleared Russian airspace. About two hours into the flight, I checked and Gogo was working. The FA announced a way to get free service, but I just logged in with my Gogo name and password.

The service worked for the remainder of the flight, save a very few times during the first hour. The message said the service wasn't available because of the usual things: too low to the ground, etc, so I'm not sure if this was because we were going in and out of Russian airspace or cloud coverage.

The Gogo service was the fastest I've experienced on a plane. Two FAs and I chatted about this. It might have been because I appeared to be the only passenger using the service.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:06 am

Programs: Delta DM
ATL - NRT didn't work at all on the 5th. Lets see if it works on the 12th and the 13th when I fly it again.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:43 am

Why doesn't it work in Russian airspace?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by misterbean
Awesome. Better than SC! Not sure if it's a compliment or an insult to DL..
Well that was soon after leaving ICN. Had problems further on in the flight with connecting. I was using iPass, which kept saying it was having trouble communicating with the hotspot - so not sure if that was an internet problem of iPass problem.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DaDaDan
Why doesn't it work in Russian airspace?
Has to be Russian law. There is no engineering reason why it wouldn't work
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Considering the international WiFi service is supposedly a satellite-based service, there definitely is not any reason why there would be an issue over land (that I can think of) except embargo placed on the airlines by Russian law. Would be very interesting to know what the justification for this is.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
This was the explanation the flight attendants gave. It actually will not work over North Korean or Russian airspace we were told, but it did appear to work over Russian airspace.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Some satphones won't work in India as well
Old Apr 10, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by CJKatl
This was the explanation the flight attendants gave. It actually will not work over North Korean or Russian airspace we were told, but it did appear to work over Russian airspace.
I think if a DL plane was in North Korean airspace, wifi would be the least of everyone's concern
Old Apr 10, 2014, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Pathfinder813
I think if a DL plane was in North Korean airspace, wifi would be the least of everyone's concern
It's not as if they are incredibly accurate at firing...
Old Apr 10, 2014, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Pathfinder813
Avoid Russian & North Korean airspace. Just avoiding it. Don't go near Russian & North Korean airspace.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, DL Amex, Diners, HHonors, United
I am scheduled to fly DL283 to BKK on May 14. Just to make sure, assuming that flight will have wifi, will the Gogo monthly pass work on the international segment?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.