Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta's reasoning behind different rules for Miles/SWU UGs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta's reasoning behind different rules for Miles/SWU UGs?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2012, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by DiverDave
The upgrades are not complimentary. SWUs are a choice benefit that are chose in lieu of other benefits such as miles or vouchers. A DM can only choose 10 SWUs per year (4 as a PM benefit, and 6 as a DM benefit.)

Only domestic (and non-BE international) upgrades are complimentary. BE destinations require an upgrade instrument SWU or miles.
I would read jdrtravel's post as being about medallion upgrades on domestic routes clearing when someone is booked into an eligible fare class and wants to use miles to upgrade but cannot waitlist for the upgrade using miles. I think it's a tough call in that case, as I know that the new UA's decision of where to place upgrades with miles relative to complimentary elite upgrades was not universally popular.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by mrcimino1:18733666
Originally Posted by Gamecock
Really? That isn't a satisfying answer at all. Not saying you aren't right mind you.

I would think miles are carried as a liability and it makrs business sense to have a passenger use them before an SWU. Granted I am making this up as I go....
Miles are no more a liability than SWU's are.
I disagree. SWUs expire. The airlines really could care less if they are used or not. Miles are on the books and are a liability until they are used. My piddly number of DL miles are an indefinite liabilty.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by mtkeller
I would read jdrtravel's post as being about medallion upgrades on domestic routes clearing when someone is booked into an eligible fare class and wants to use miles to upgrade but cannot waitlist for the upgrade using miles. I think it's a tough call in that case, as I know that the new UA's decision of where to place upgrades with miles relative to complimentary elite upgrades was not universally popular.

Exactly. I fully understand how upgrades work.

As a GM, I don't have any SWU's. That being said, if there is no G inventory ever released on the flight (or Z for transcon) then my only option for upgrading is to hope for the medallion upgrade. I find that on the routes one wants it most, its hard to find G class. I tried to book a flight from LAX to NYC recently. I was willing to connect and avoid the nonstop if I could find G class (for example, LAX-MSP-LGA). At least on the dates I was trying to book, there was zero G class available, yet wide open F cabins. I can understand DL not wanting to sell the entire F cabin to mileage upgrades, and wanting to reserve some for PM/DM complimentary upgrades, but I wish we had a chance at the gate. I liked someone else's idea of letting us buy SWU's with miles. Furthermore, I could imagine it being very frustrating for a non-medallion member who wants to buy a mileage upgrade to watch F seats beat sold on standby when they wanted to use miles.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP Gold 100K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
It's especially annoying on flights to and from Hawaii. I know they often don't release availability before hand, so that makes it pointless. With no complimentary UGs, it's nearly impossible. I would love to see DL allow you to buy SWUs for miles. Maybe have the SWUs cost more because they can be used at the gate which would get rid of some of the miles on the books. If not, say you can only request a mileage UG prior to T-24. Then, if they haven't cleared, take them to the airport. Once you request a mileage UG, there should be a hold place on what ever the amount is to prevent people from going negative. Or let people try to be responsible and if they are negative, charge them the amount it costs to buy the miles they are negative. Rev Mgmt would love that.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Most airlines view SWUs as a special privilege that they offer to their top tier elites. To let anyone buy them with miles would make SWUs even less valuable to those of us who have earned them. Similarly, given the restrictions on the use of SWUs that DL imposes, it would be inappropriate to erode them further by putting miles upgrades (for anyone) and SWU upgrades into the same category for the gate standby list. If someone wants SWU-type upgrade privileges, they should fly more and get enough MQMs to earn those SWUs and then pick them over other choice benefits.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:57 am

Fair enough and agreed. That said, I wish that milage upgrades could at least be somewhere on the priority list.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:32 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Barbella7
It's especially annoying on flights to and from Hawaii.
I have actually had gate agents, on two separate occasions (once in HNL, once in ATL), process mileage upgrades at the gate for Hawaii flights.

Not saying every gate agent would do this, but the ones in HNL seemed accustomed to doing it since there are no complimentary upgrades and the only way you will sit up front as an upgrade is with miles (or an SWU).

The occasion in ATL was pre-merger, so that request might be met with a hard "no" these days, but technically it is something a gate agent can do.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
I have actually had gate agents, on two separate occasions (once in HNL, once in ATL), process mileage upgrades at the gate for Hawaii flights.

Not saying every gate agent would do this, but the ones in HNL seemed accustomed to doing it since there are no complimentary upgrades and the only way you will sit up front as an upgrade is with miles (or an SWU).

The occasion in ATL was pre-merger, so that request might be met with a hard "no" these days, but technically it is something a gate agent can do.
If the GA has time to pull the miles and FC seats would otherwise go empty, I see no reason to forbid this, but (1) it shouldn't delay the flight and (2) it shouldn't take upgrades away from elites would otherwise have gotten them--i.e., the upgrades using miles should be at the bottom of the list and not bumped up at the expense of those who are trying to upgrade following the published rules. The GA should not be unilaterally reallocating upgrades at his/her discretion. Furthermore, there could be an argument about NRSA losing FC seats in order to upgrade someone when the DL rules do not entitle the passenger to the upgrade.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

That's exactly my case. Looking at HNL via ATL but don't want to risk it on a 10 hour flight. Even if they charge more for miles, I think there should still be a way to be on the Airport List. Wouldn't they rather get more miles off the books than let F go out empty? I wouldn't mind if SWUs went ahead of miles, just if there is a chance so F doesn't go out empty.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the GA has time to pull the miles and FC seats would otherwise go empty, I see no reason to forbid this, but (1) it shouldn't delay the flight and (2) it shouldn't take upgrades away from elites would otherwise have gotten them--i.e., the upgrades using miles should be at the bottom of the list and not bumped up at the expense of those who are trying to upgrade following the published rules. The GA should not be unilaterally reallocating upgrades at his/her discretion. Furthermore, there could be an argument about NRSA losing FC seats in order to upgrade someone when the DL rules do not entitle the passenger to the upgrade.
This is where this is a problem of clarity. The way in which the mileage wait list works once at the gate is not clear, at least not to most travelers. I've had more than one DL phone agent tell me that a mileage request trumps medallion upgrades. Furthermore, one of the "published" benefits of the sky miles program is to be able to upgrade using miles, regardless of status. If the airline does not actually make this available, then there is a problem.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:31 pm

Location: CTU/TFU(Chengdu, Sichuan, China) - MIG (Mianyang, Sichuan, China) - EWR/JFK/LGA/HPN (Great New York City Metro Area, NY, USA) - HVN/BDL (New Haven/Hartford, CT, USA)
Programs: UA 1MM/F9 Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Gold; IHG Platinum; Choice Privileges Platinum
[QUOTE=Barbella7;18733559]Does anyone know why Delta has different restrictions for mileage UGs vs SWUs? Namely the big one is that SWUs are sent to the Airport Standby List while mileage UGs are not. Does anyone have ideas or reasonings Delta would have for this?[/QUOTED]

DL might be thinking within 24 hours of departure, all BE seats that are bookable with mileage will be at high level; therefore, it is unfair for DL to only charge mileage at low level for the upgrade. Thus, it shoots this option to death. SWU is a different story then; it is being considered as a perk for DM and PM.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by Barbella7
That's exactly my case. Looking at HNL via ATL but don't want to risk it on a 10 hour flight. Even if they charge more for miles, I think there should still be a way to be on the Airport List. Wouldn't they rather get more miles off the books than let F go out empty? I wouldn't mind if SWUs went ahead of miles, just if there is a chance so F doesn't go out empty.
There is no list for HI flights. That is to say there are no complimentary upgrades on these flights. So it's either G inventory, or book into F to begin with. You can use miles to waitlist for G, but if it hasn't cleared by T-24, then it won't and you can assume F is full.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 3:46 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by azeckel
There is no list for HI flights. That is to say there are no complimentary upgrades on these flights. So it's either G inventory, or book into F to begin with. You can use miles to waitlist for G, but if it hasn't cleared by T-24, then it won't and you can assume F is full.
There is no complimentary Medallion list to/from Hawaii, but in my case there was an airport list for those desiring to upgrade using miles (or, I presume, SWUs -- didn't ask about that). This was in HNL.

F is not automatically full just because a G upgrade hasn't cleared by T-24. There can still be seats available even though G is still at zero.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Robert Leach
F is not automatically full just because a G upgrade hasn't cleared by T-24. There can still be seats available even though G is still at zero.

This is the most annoying of the whole thing. Maybe the real issue is just better inventory management for G and Z class is needed.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

It seems on most routes, they never open any G/Z availability. With them not opening an availability, it is almost pointless for mileage UGs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.