Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No time for beverage service, but time to walk aisle selling Amex

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No time for beverage service, but time to walk aisle selling Amex

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
Originally Posted by houserulz77
I agree that there should be a drink service in F.

But before you complain, it's appropriate to have asked the FA working the F cabin if you can have a beverage. If you ask, and they decline, then you can write in.

Were you offered a PFB in F?
No PFB besides the bottles of water.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:29 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Put it all in perspective - with that AMEX you can print money minting miles. Else, with your bag of pretzels and a soft drink you are just plain SOL.

I say show me the money!

Originally Posted by lrbenko
I was in FC on CHS-ATL this morning which is a short flight, +/-40minutes. We had a little turbulence on the way up, but then got the announcement that due to the short flight, there would be no beverage snack service. I was sitting in FC and there was no beverage or snack service in either cabin.

Yet, they still had time to make a lengthy Amex announcement and then walk the aisle with Amex brochures. I don't know why, but this agitates me. Shouldn't there be some sense or priority towards customer service, what little remains? And as far as announcements go, there are way too many of them per flight too, IMHO.
Anyone else's thoughts?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:04 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by javabytes
Not only DL, but the flight attendants. They get paid extra for AmEx applications, but not for PDBs. It is only reasonable to assume people will act as they are incentivized to do.
Indeed. Folks are making big $$ on this program.

As to the OP on CHS-ATL: I've flown a good bit ATL-SAV-ATL and can say I always remember PDB in F either way but rarely remember beverage service in coach. In fact, the first time MrWeezer met my parents he flew ATL-SAV the day before Thanksgiving in F & marveled at how a flight crew could have PDB plus 2-3+ refills in F in that short a flight. Once I explained Savannah, he got it.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: Several
While other airlines, and sometimes even Delta, do perform a beverage service on such short flights, I think the bigger picture here is such a service really necessary on a less than hour flight? First class notwithstanding. I think everyone would survive without a Diet Coke for 45 min.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:13 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by NWAFA
Under PMNW, the only thing that would stop FC service was a "sit down" order from the cockpit. And I also seem to rember a city pair that was so short we never got above 10,000 feet, we wouldn't serve FC in that instant.
Probably the short hops between DTW-FNT and DTW-LAN, both don't exceed 10,000ft but are still good for 500 MQM each
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
Indeed. Folks are making big $$ on this program.

As to the OP on CHS-ATL: I've flown a good bit ATL-SAV-ATL and can say I always remember PDB in F either way but rarely remember beverage service in coach. In fact, the first time MrWeezer met my parents he flew ATL-SAV the day before Thanksgiving in F & marveled at how a flight crew could have PDB plus 2-3+ refills in F in that short a flight. Once I explained Savannah, he got it.
I got to fly a commercial flight from SAV to CHS last month. CHS airspace was closed and we diverted to SAV. After two hours, we boarded and flew SAV-CHS. Very short flight.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
I don't give a toss about the beverage service on a short flight, but the assault on my ears from FA blather, commercials, pilots is an abomination, especially the commercials. We fly a lot, we want to read or do some work or just zone out before or after a busy day. There is nothing of interest in anything the flight crew can say to us so just shut up already.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by localady
Efficiency and SERVICE... neither of which seem to be in the Delta vocabulary much any more...

I remember those days too...

^
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by jjdub86
Probably the short hops between DTW-FNT and DTW-LAN, both don't exceed 10,000ft but are still good for 500 MQM each

Great memory!
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
I got to fly a commercial flight from SAV to CHS last month. CHS airspace was closed and we diverted to SAV. After two hours, we boarded and flew SAV-CHS. Very short flight.
I was on that flight...
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
I was on that flight...
Were you? Have we ever met in person or talked on a flight?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Were you? Have we ever met in person or talked on a flight?
Most likely...
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by jjdub86
Same with DTW/TOL when NW had that route. I miss those days But I remember when Comair/Delta did TOL/CVG, that was less than 200 miles and they did a beverage service and when US did TOL/PIT that was only around 225 miles and they also managed to do a beverage service.

WN does a full beverage service on DTW/MDW and when I flew MDW/DTW home a couple weeks ago the FA didn't even do a trash pickup service. At least she didn't do an Am Ex sales pitch
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:01 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by NWAFA
^
NWAFA - how far back did you go with NW? I've got a bunch of timetables from the 60's showing breakfasts in coach (I'm assuming "B" in the timetable meant a hot breakfast, while "S" meant a danish or something like that) on some amazingly short flights.

OTOH, there were some flights that went, mmm, ORD-MSN-RST-MSP-FAR-BIS-BIL-BTM-MSO-GEG-SEA, on which one could go an awfully long time without any sort of nourishment.

But yes, in the good old days, if one was flying over a meal time in coach there was a pretty good chance one would get at least a little something to eat except on really short routes like, e.g., RST-MSP. I recall getting a snack of a piece of chicken and some potato salad on AL flying PIT-PHL, and an actual meal (i.e., something hot) in F on TW flying PHL-PIT.

And I do recall WN fitting in a beverage service DTW-MDW and vv. The FA's were out of their seats on climbout to make it happen, and were finishing up the last trash run when the signal came that we were on final.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:11 pm

Programs: 1FS Frequent Diner
Originally Posted by sxf24
To be fair, using carts can increase the time to set up and complete a service.

I know it is annoying, but it takes less than 5 minutes to make the AMEX announcement and walk through the cabin, which the crew is required to do anyways on final approach. Completing a drink service takes a lot longer, though there's really no excuse for skipping it in F.
Exactly. It's so much quicker to do it since most people, if any, don't want the application.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.