Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

UA Ends Preboard with children.. Delta???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2012, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GE

http://consumerist.com/2012/05/unite...mall-kids.html

"We figured it would be better to simplify that process and reduce the number of boarding groups," said United spokesman Charles Hobart. The airline does allow passengers with children traveling in first class or business class to board early.
Old May 25, 2012, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Not sure how this really related to DL... Thus far, allowing families with children under 2 years old seems to be sticking.
Old May 25, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
I like the part about allowing families to board first if seated in first/business. That's a nice "f- you" to anyone who complains!

I wouldn't mind seeing Delta try this, but I would hate to see flights delayed because of a mess of stroller-toting kettles boarding in zone 4 unable to find storage for diaper bags and all their other baby crap.

I mean, giving birth to a child just for two years of priority boarding in not a great return on your investment.
Old May 25, 2012, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by dcline414
I mean, giving birth to a child just for two years of priority boarding in not a great return on your investment.
Depends. Put the entire pregnancy and hospital charges on the AMEX and it could well be worth the effort . I just had a $100k bill for a medical issue and put my piece (about $19k) on a UA card....I will take 2 RT J tickets for a useless Gall Bladder any day !
Old May 25, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Depends. Put the entire pregnancy and hospital charges on the AMEX and it could well be worth the effort . I just had a $100k bill for a medical issue and put my piece (about $19k) on a UA card....I will take 2 RT J tickets for a useless Gall Bladder any day !
you need better insurance. but kudos to you for actually paying your medical bills.

we have a 2.5YO and she flew with us last year. we didn't use the pre-boarding because most of the time she was asleep and we didn't want to wake her up to sit on the plane for an extra 20 minutes.
Old May 25, 2012, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jtrue28
you need better insurance..
I have a PPO because my EW and kids live in Boston and I live in LA. The only way for me to cover them is with a PPO (The HMO is CA based only) and it is a 80/20. It is actually GREAT insurance. Covers everything and I can pick the doctor hospital but it does cost to have that flexibility. Kind of the full Y vs T in FT terms
Old May 25, 2012, 1:05 pm

2 RT J tickets
For $19k in spend?!
Old May 25, 2012, 1:16 pm
Xam

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond Medallion
I personally wish they boarded people with the least amount of carry-ons first.
Old May 25, 2012, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iTanNicNic
For $19k in spend?!
No it topped me off. I have never used an Arline CC until this one. I am sure this is FT blaspheme but I never had a DL Amex in all my years. I just flew and redeemed. This time I signed up for the Explorer card when I moved to UA and figured I may as well get some miles from my pain and misery in the hospital.
Old May 25, 2012, 1:26 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Glad someone really gets it. When the revolution comes ol' King Jeffy may get a close hair cut from the peasants. Uh oh, a crowd of baby carrying mothers is forming down at the Bastille.

Originally Posted by dcline414
I like the part about allowing families to board first if seated in first/business. That's a nice "f- you" to anyone who complains!
Old May 25, 2012, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Plat
As a relatively new father, I never knew how important this "benefit" was until we flew recently without being pre-boarded. Even boarding with Zone 1 (or sky, or whatever they call it now), we caused a bit of a backup just trying to get ourselves situated. It's not like we were deliberately slow or in the way, it just takes a while to get an infant situated. As the FA was barking over the com to move out of the aisle, I was thinking "ahh, that's why they pre-board the infants".
Old May 25, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
100k to take your gall bladder out????

I stayed at a Holiday Inn and would cut it out for $5K
Old May 25, 2012, 2:34 pm

Even before we had our daughter, I never begrudged the families with small children that were allowed to pre-board. I always preferred that to the alternative of getting stuck behind them while they try to shepherd the child onto the plane, find a spot for their numerous carry-ons, situate the car seat and then try to convince the child to get into it.
Old May 25, 2012, 4:07 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
I wish Delta would do this; it makes perfect sense.

In fact, what should happen is that people with strollers should board last. Let everyone get on and then the folks toting babies can go down the jetway and board. Everyone else will already be seated, and there will be no one to block. Further, this is 20 minutes less that a small child has to be cooped up on an aircraft. Why anyone would want to prolong the amount of time they have to sit on an aircraft with their child is beyond me.

Of course if there is no pre-boarding, you can bet that most of the same people who seem to need that extra space to board will now happily clog up the aisles as soon as their zone is called. Which is unfortunate because in truth, if you are sitting in Y, the only advantage to boarding early is the overhead space. Given that strollers end up checked, their is no avoiding the wait at baggage claim, thus boarding as near as possible to departure seems like the best situation.
Old May 25, 2012, 6:31 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Delta doesn't pre-board children in Orlando

They don't do it because sometimes there are quite a lot of children heading home from Disney, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.