Wiki Posts
Search

I dislike using the DL luggage tags

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/Marriott Plat
Smile I dislike using the DL luggage tags

I personally dislike using the DL luggage tags; no one but me should even care what my status is. And as a lowly PM, my bags would feel small and inadequate next to those big and shiny DM bags.

I do though thoroughly enjoy using my PM DL luggage tags on the rare occasion when I am flying paid F on elite heavy routes. Is it mean or funny that I love seeing a DYKWIA DM's head almost explode as he is trying to figure out how I got the "UG" and he didn't?

Let the slams against my character begin... NOW!
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:13 pm

If it were me I would have another tag in bold letters that says "Property of <insert first name> Igans"
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by milehighflyer
I personally dislike using the DL luggage tags; no one but me should even care what my status is. And as a lowly PM, my bags would feel small and inadequate next to those big and shiny DM bags.

I do though thoroughly enjoy using my PM DL luggage tags on the rare occasion when I am flying paid F on elite heavy routes. Is it mean or funny that I love seeing a DYKWIA DM's head almost explode as he is trying to figure out how I got the "UG" and he didn't?

Others have talked about doing the same thing and even using their spouses tags (if they have a lower status) or if they had advanced a rank during the current year using their original lower status tags on bags

I started out in 2011 as a lowly silver and one time I was on a business trip in paid F on an elite heavy route (Was DTW to either LAX or SFO), I decided to have fun and put my silver tags on and received a few dirty looks when I went up to board with First class with that silver tag on my bag

I would think any one that has medallian status with Delta flies enough though to realize there are people that pay to be up front and a Y fare for even a silver is going to trump any diamond ticket unless the DM is also on a full y fare.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL DM; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold
I find it humorous. I have actually seen DMs question a GA about why a PM got an upgrade when they didn't.

Maybe they paid for it? Maybe they used a SWU? Maybe they bought a full Y ticket? Those are the 3 I can think of.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by HSVGuy
I find it humorous. I have actually seen DMs question a GA about why a PM got an upgrade when they didn't.

Maybe they paid for it? Maybe they used a SWU? Maybe they bought a full Y ticket? Those are the 3 I can think of.
And there are also times where if you take a later flight they will sit you in first. I have also had a flight cancel due to MX or WX and was put on a later flight by the SC and rebooked right into first.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I guess I've never run into these DM whose heads explode if they see a "lower" medallion in FC. DM tags you can tell because of the noise, but I can't say I've ever paid attention to anybody's bag tags.

If a "lower" medallion is in FC I always assumed they are on the domestic leg of an international J trip. No big deal.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by milehighflyer

I am too lazy to look up the thread where an OP (either DM or PM) wanted to place every single piece of luggage candy on his bag as he was confirmed in A r/t.

My suggestion to him was simple. Find an FO tag and have that be the only tag on the bag. So when GM+ parades past F and notices the carefully positioned FO tag outside the overhead bin, he could watch the hysterics of the DMs figuring out why an FO was sitting in F and they were walking back to coach.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
WOW, I think people have too much time on their hands.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
^
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.7MM
You know, I get that there are ***hat DM's just as there are of all SM denominations, but I'm going to stand up, just a little bit, for myself and my DM peers here.

I know the blustering, DYKWIA, DM is a favorite archetype here on FT, but I really don't see it much, if at all. Despite the impression one might get from all the anecdotes here, one of the things I've learned over my MM miles, is that stuff almost always works the way its supposed to.

Yes, I might occasionally be disappointed if I don't get an upgrade (like that would ever happen!) but glare at a lowly PM, GM, or FO that's seated in F?, demand an explanation from a GA? - never! In the all but inconceivable case that I even became aware of someone else's status (I don't inspect bag tags or boarding passes) I would assume that they paid, SWU'd, or something.

I (try to) let go of the worrying about that stuff - cause what's gonna happen is gonna happen - just like its supposed too.

Now, an agent who *really* doesn't know what they are doing - I'm all over that!

DM's. We are the 3.85733%!
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:58 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Prez; Former UA GS
Seems a bit vain...

Being new to Delta, I've recently seen quite a few elites with these luggage tags. I remember quite a few UA fliers begging for tags (UA now has them since the merger)... I just don't see the point (other than to show everyone else what your status is). I suppose there's no harm at the same time.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
Yes. Sometimes I do.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by cmaas
You know, I get that there are ***hat DM's just as there are of all SM denominations, but I'm going to stand up, just a little bit, for myself and my DM peers here.

I know the blustering, DYKWIA, DM is a favorite archetype here on FT, but I really don't see it much, if at all. Despite the impression one might get from all the anecdotes here, one of the things I've learned over my MM miles, is that stuff almost always works the way its supposed to.

Yes, I might occasionally be disappointed if I don't get an upgrade (like that would ever happen!) but glare at a lowly PM, GM, or FO that's seated in F?, demand an explanation from a GA? - never! In the all but inconceivable case that I even became aware of someone else's status (I don't inspect bag tags or boarding passes) I would assume that they paid, SWU'd, or something.

I (try to) let go of the worrying about that stuff - cause what's gonna happen is gonna happen - just like its supposed too.

Now, an agent who *really* doesn't know what they are doing - I'm all over that!

DM's. We are the 3.85733%!
It would have been better if you went 3.14159% because I really want some pie right about now.

It happens every day and I hear people b*tch all the time on this board who claim to be DMs that missed their upgrade because there was a silver, gold, or plt in their seat. This isn't just anecdotal, I have personally witnessed a DM or two over the last few weeks alone who made a huge deal because there was someone on a lower tier than them sitting in F, based solely on their status tag hanging from their bag.

To be honest, frequent fliers are a weird bunch. We all have our little quirks, habits, rituals, and ideas about how each and every trip should work. Most times it fails miserably, and the more you fly and witness the horrors of traveling the more comfortable you are sitting behind the fan (Titus reference)

Reminds me of an old adage: Silvers think they are diamonds, diamonds act like they are Silvers when denied an upgrade, and the Plats and Golds are the middle step children who are allowed into the house, but barely allowed to have any fun. (was better when they only had 3 tiers in the FF program).
Old Apr 27, 2012, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by agarc
Being new to Delta, I've recently seen quite a few elites with these luggage tags. I remember quite a few UA fliers begging for tags (UA now has them since the merger)... I just don't see the point (other than to show everyone else what your status is). I suppose there's no harm at the same time.
Every industry and group tends to have something that defines hierarchy. In medicine it's "he who dies with the most letters after his name wins."

I get that it's horribly bourgeois to sport my luggage tags, but I just can't help myself. I fantasize about the days I have a DM 1M Miler tag. Oh the joy!!! In addition, yes, I do hiss when I have to schlep back to coach and I see a PM or, dare I say, GM or FO sitting up front. Oh the horror!!!
Old Apr 27, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I guess I've never run into these DM whose heads explode if they see a "lower" medallion in FC. DM tags you can tell because of the noise, but I can't say I've ever paid attention to anybody's bag tags.

If a "lower" medallion is in FC I always assumed they are on the domestic leg of an international J trip. No big deal.
That only works when that is a credible alternative. Not on a Monday night ATL->HPN flight though! Wow did I get some stink-eye from jingling gate-lice while I boarded while they waited for sky priority to be called... One guy really looked like his head was about to exploded as he looked down at my bag and then up at me and then back at my bag and then at his BP...

Originally Posted by aviatorzz
My suggestion to him was simple. Find an FO tag and have that be the only tag on the bag.
I have my old FO tags on my roll-aboard for precisely this reason. And, as above, it works.

BTW The bar-code is just one more thing to help the bag reunite with me when it gets checked, and I've never bothered changing it out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.