Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any DTW-YUL Commuters ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Any DTW-YUL Commuters ?

I am going to be a weekly commuter for next 4 to 5 months. Delta is the only one with non stop service and charges are so high (lowest is around 600)

I did look at YQG-YUL , you get to save $50 but for that you are flying through Toronto plus need to cross the border etc etc...not worth it.

Any other options ? I looked at buying miles but 25K from Delta is around $900

Jay
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
The last few years DTW/YUL fares have really gone up. And I think now all the planes are RJ's with no first class, so no upgrade possibility.

YYZ is also really expensive. It's a LOT cheaper for me to just drive to windsor and take VIA rail. I can ride in first class on VIA for a lot less than it is to fly and I also save a lot of money on cab fare since I get dropped off downtown.

Did you try checking porter air out of windsor?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
The last few years DTW/YUL fares have really gone up. And I think now all the planes are RJ's with no first class, so no upgrade possibility.

YYZ is also really expensive. It's a LOT cheaper for me to just drive to windsor and take VIA rail. I can ride in first class on VIA for a lot less than it is to fly and I also save a lot of money on cab fare since I get dropped off downtown.

Did you try checking porter air out of windsor?
Via all the way to MTL takes all most a day (well like 9 to 11 hours) and First Class tickets cost around 500. Porter from Windsor with stop over in Toronto is around 550 and Air Canada is also around the same amount.

I did a lot of Windsor - Toronto on VIA and loved it but don't think I can put up with all the way to MTL considering I am trying to work Mon-Fri and spend the weekend with family here in DTW.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
DL and AC can be very comfortable with a duopoly on that route. They're really the only logical carriers: a 3rd party fighting DL on one end and AC on the other is going to burn money fast. This scenario plays out on hundreds of city pairs a day in the U.S. and Canada.

Unless your YUL business is well southeast of the city it probably doesn't make sense to try using BTV. Fares aren't that much cheaper, really.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by jay23
Via all the way to MTL takes all most a day (well like 9 to 11 hours) and First Class tickets cost around 500. Porter from Windsor with stop over in Toronto is around 550 and Air Canada is also around the same amount.

I did a lot of Windsor - Toronto on VIA and loved it but don't think I can put up with all the way to MTL considering I am trying to work Mon-Fri and spend the weekend with family here in DTW.
Yeah, I wasn't suggesting the OP take via to Montreal Even going there for fun, VIA is too long of a trip for me.

Commuting to YUL would be a pain. It's a very expensive trip, no upgrades on that trip, and the mileage is so low it is hard to get enough miles to be at a decent elite level.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
DL and AC can be very comfortable with a duopoly on that route. They're really the only logical carriers: a 3rd party fighting DL on one end and AC on the other is going to burn money fast. This scenario plays out on hundreds of city pairs a day in the U.S. and Canada.

Unless your YUL business is well southeast of the city it probably doesn't make sense to try using BTV. Fares aren't that much cheaper, really.
DTW-BTV its only about $50 less so not worth it.

Interestingly I was able to price Tango Plus fair on AC web site which came to around 350 (w 1 stop over in Chicago or Toronto)

Looks like only Delta has the non stop between DTW-YUL
Old Apr 27, 2012, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I wouldn't discourage you from investigating alternatives, but I've had enough misconnects at ORD to sway me from overflying Detroit by forty minutes, waiting for a connection, and flying back. Doing that twice per r/t for $250 in savings? No thanks.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by jay23

I don't know what you do and for whom but you said it is going to be for 4-5 months, thus I assume it is some kind of project for your employer, or you are a consultant doing a big project for a client, or something of the kind. Shouldn't your employer/client pay for your travel?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

I am a consultant but I work on fixed bid projects so expenses directly hit my pocket. For now I will just do the Delta DTW-YUL as I budgeted.

End of the day I need to put a $ value on my hours and its not worth VIA or DTW-YUL through YYZ (Keep in mind not only you change flights at YYZ you have to go through US immigration and YYZ US immigration lines can be nutty in some days)

Its just crazy I have to pay the same amount for an hour long flight when for same amount I can fly to Europe.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Did you consider getting a Porter Pass? Getting a book of 10/20/50 one-way flight coupons would lock-in your costs for the duration of the project, and you would rack up FF benefits pretty quickly. YTZ is a pretty nice airport for connections, and definitely not a zoo like its big brother.

I know you weren't thrilled about using YQG, but depending on where you live, taking the tunnel to/from Windsor might be as quick as driving/parking at DTW.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 4:05 pm
Original Member

Depending on your location in metro Detroit, don't overlook Windsor. Porter is a very pleasant ride, Island airport is a nice connecting point, they have lots of Toronto-Mtl flights and the Porter Pass mentioned above might well give you some predictability in flights.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
With that many trips you should look into getting Nexus which includes US Global Entry.

Windsor/Toronto or Toronto/Montreal train is OK by themselves. It gets to be quite a long ride combined on one trip.

US CBP at YUL is much more bearable than US CBP at YYZ T3 unless you have Nexus.

If you have bidded the project with an all in price you should seriously consider using PD with the flight pass to control your cost/profit. Domestic transfer at YTZ is simple.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Looked at Porter Pass, a 20 Pack of one way is $5,590. This works out to $559 Return.

Leaving Sunday night, Coming back Thursday night on Porter is $502.

Delta DTW-YUL is $580 and its a non stop flight.

Air Canada is at around $500 when you do YQG-YUL through YYZ.

I budgeted $600 for flights so I will stick to DTW-YUL on Delta. Just need to book it in advance.

The good news is I am using AirBnb and finding some very good deals on fully furnished apartments (not just a couch).
Old Apr 27, 2012, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
When is your contract and where in Montreal is it?

If it is during May to Aug there are many furnish sublet near McGill.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
When is your contract and where in Montreal is it?

If it is during May to Aug there are many furnish sublet near McGill.
Yep, I am looking at that option also. They call it "McGill Ghetto" on the housing ads , i am from Detroit and here 'ghetto' is some where you don't want to step in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.