Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SV will join Skyteam on May 29, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by motytrah
From a practical purpose I don't see much value in SV joining the team. The Saudi airports they hub from are all either served by AF or KL.
Except that RUH only gets AF service 3x weekly now, with the other four days operated by SV. SV joining will mean that DL members can earn miles on CDG-RUH regardless of which metal it's on.

Originally Posted by motytrah
You have the exclusionary rules for Jews and past visitors to Israel as well as women traveling without a male relative (even for the purposes of transit).
There's not really an exclusionary rule for Jews. I had a Jewish colleague who was there with me last May. I'm not sure what religion she put down on her visa application, and her husband is British, so the surname wouldn't scream "JEW" to the consulate, but I also don't think she'd be inclined to lie about her religion on the form. (I put "none" and had no issues.) She didn't travel with a male relative either, at least not technically. She flew with a male colleague who acted as her "Saudi husband" when we were dining together in the hotel, etc. in case anyone objected.

All that said, I've flown SV in J and had two miserable experiences on one of their flagship routes (LHR-RUH), so they really don't bring much to the party. I guess maybe better access to remote airports in the Gulf. Pakistan is about the only place I see on their list of destinations that isn't already pretty well covered by SkyTeam that could draw interest.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by MarLim
I fully agree that company policy and foreign policy should not be mixed up. How would you explain that DL credits skymiles to all AF flights except CDG-HAV? This is a completly legal flight under French rules, but no so from a US perspective. Should we keep DL responsible for not crediting miles for this flight? I don't think so, airlines (like all other companies) have to adhere to their country's rules if we like it or not.
Exactly, and here DL is following US policy, which it has to as a US airline. So, again, here the blame lies on US gov't, not on DL who is simply the executor of what is passed down to it from the gov't.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:32 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by nfg05
No codesharing, no FF benefits, what's the benefit for customers?
The only benefit of code-sharing is for the airlines themselves really. So that is not a huge issue.

Originally Posted by mtkeller
Let's take the first sentence. While DL may not codeshare on flights to KSA, they definitely do codeshare with carriers that fly to KSA. AF operates CDG-RUH and CDG-JED, KL operates AMS-DMM, AZ will begin flying FCO-RUH this summer, CZ flies PEK-JED, and KQ flies NBO-JED. These are all carriers with which DL has codeshare agreements for other routes. Alright, we'll give DL the benefit of the doubt and assume they meant that they don't/won't put DL flight numbers on any of those flights, since they're generally bad at wording precise statements anyway.
How can stating that they won't code share with such an airline be taken to mean DL is bad at wording? They said they won't put their flight numbers on such flights. They never said they wouldn't work with other airlines who do. Seems very precise and clear to me!
Old Apr 19, 2012, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by fti
The only benefit of code-sharing is for the airlines themselves really. So that is not a huge issue.

How can stating that they won't code share with such an airline be taken to mean DL is bad at wording? They said they won't put their flight numbers on such flights. They never said they wouldn't work with other airlines who do. Seems very precise and clear to me!
DL wrote "Delta does not operate service to Saudi Arabia and does not codeshare with any airline that serves that country." To be precise, they should have written that they do it codeshare on any flights operated by other airlines to Saudi Arabia. Instead, they used imprecise language, a strict reading of which would be that they don't codeshare on any flights (TATL, intra-European, whatever) operated by a carrier that operates flights to Saudi Arabia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.