Wiki Posts
Search

CDG: Now I see why everyone hates it

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SPG Platinum
CDG: Now I see why everyone hates it

I flew GVA-CDG-BOS yesterday. They were DL-coded flights on AF metal. GVA-CDG arrived at 2F and CDG-BOS departed 2E.

This was arguably the dumbest thing I've ever seen in my life. Not only did I have to re-clear security, I actually left one terminal and was outside the airport to get to the next.

Either I did something really wrong by following the flight connections signs or this airport is one of the worst places on the planet to make connections.

I have an upcoming trip that will require connections again but I won't actually be entering the EU because I'll be continuing to India. Please tell me it'll be easier doing that. Or should I just go through AMS?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
AMS is always easier than CDG, I've found, especially with tight connections. Not only because the security staff at AMS will help you cut ahead in the line if you need to, but also because it's simply clearer where you need to go. One of the greatest frustrations at CDG is the contradictory and inaccurate signage, as well as the vague claims of the staff that you don't need to leave security. You do in almost every case.

Even worse than having to go through security again is the politics of the security lines. I've seen them let French passengers come to the front of the EU line, and--unbelievably--I've watched as they've cherry-picked the non-Africans to come to the front of the non-EU line. Unbelievable.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
For 2A through 2F, you can make a walking (landside) connection between all terminals, even if the signs tell you to take a bus. However, the walk can sometimes be quite lengthy. In the case of 2F to 2E, the walk is pretty short IIRC, though you might have to take the train to the other 2E for US departures.

AMS is definitely easier, though it has body scanners for all US departures and at some other checkpoints as well.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I had to do the same thing at LAX going between DL and AF
Old Apr 15, 2012, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by mikehillwig
I flew GVA-CDG-BOS yesterday. They were DL-coded flights on AF metal. GVA-CDG arrived at 2F and CDG-BOS departed 2E.

This was arguably the dumbest thing I've ever seen in my life. Not only did I have to re-clear security, I actually left one terminal and was outside the airport to get to the next.

Either I did something really wrong by following the flight connections signs or this airport is one of the worst places on the planet to make connections.

I have an upcoming trip that will require connections again but I won't actually be entering the EU because I'll be continuing to India. Please tell me it'll be easier doing that. Or should I just go through AMS?
CDG is the worst. Its the only modern airport where you have to do what you described. NRT is the best, then AMS.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 1:32 pm

I'm flying PHL-CDG-GVA in June with a 1 hr 37 min layover in CDG....am I learning here that isn't enough time to make the AF connection?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive

Next time try to go connect from 2A-E to 2G. You need to go outside, board a bus (that runs rather infrequently), and stay on for a ~15 min bus ride to one of the worst and most crammed airport terminals anywhere (CDG 2G).
Old Apr 15, 2012, 2:11 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I hate connecting at CDG. Avoid at all costs.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold

Flights to India generally arrive/depart from 2C, which necessitates riding the slowest bus in the world between terminals and going through a security check. You never enter the EU during the connection (unless you want to).

I got lucky on the return and my flight from BOM arrived at 2E so I just had to walk upstairs to the security re-check, reclear security, and walk back to the exact same gate and get on the exact same plane to go to Houston. French efficiency at its finest
Old Apr 15, 2012, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by ianturner
I'm flying PHL-CDG-GVA in June with a 1 hr 37 min layover in CDG....am I learning here that isn't enough time to make the AF connection?
You will have to be pretty lucky to make the connection. Not impossible, but very little room for any delay.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 2:38 pm

Programs: United Silver, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hyatt.
I went through this nightmare yesterday. I had never visited an international airport that forced me (as someone making a Schengen/Non-Schengen connection) to join the general airport population at the passport and security checkpoints. This is bad enough, but the rude staff and line jumping passengers are the icing on this cake. I saved 50000 miles by booking my business class reward ticket through here...that is what I had to keep reminding myself.

Last edited by Canarsie; May 4, 2014 at 9:12 pm Reason: Removed unnecessary word.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by 53flyer
You will have to be pretty lucky to make the connection. Not impossible, but very little room for any delay.
any suggestions to remedy it?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 2:47 pm

I am more optimistic than the previous poster and say you should make it. It took me 30 minutes to get from 2E to 2B via the normal bus route and cutting in front of people at the gate security checks in 2B. 2E to 2F (your case) should be an even shorter bus ride. I am not sure if you need to re-clear security in 2F, maybe someone else can chime in -- I do know, like OP said, that you do need to go through security when you go the other way around, 2F to 2E.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Flew DTE-CDG-BLQ today and had a 1.5 hr long connection. Made it from 2E to 2G in enough time to visit the lounge for a quick coffee. My checked bag was not as lucky. The place is very poorly designed and signed.

One thing that was kind of odd was that the bus to the plane from 2G took us all the way back to a plane parked at a 2E gate. I know the BLQ flight probably was probably coming in from a non schengen area but it just has to make you laugh.

Give me AMS any day
Old Apr 15, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
any suggestions to remedy it?
It probably depends on whether your flight lands at a gate or in a far-flung field and you're bused to the terminal.

Once you're in the terminal, you can take the world's slowest bus, making sure you don't go landside as the OP did. Don't blindly follow the "flight connections" signs. Follow the signs to the terminal you want, which should lead you to the bus. Or you exit landside and walk to your other terminal as the OP did, which can be quicker if the lines are short at security in the other terminal. That's a crap-shoot. I typically do the latter.

If you land in a far-flung field, you can probably forget making your connection as the transit bus does not leave until all are aboard. Of course you won't know until you arrive. Sorry I can't be more encouraging.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.