Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Future of the CRJs?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2012, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
Future of the CRJs?

I haven't been keeping very good track of this, but is there any news about when the CRJ-100s will be retired? I just came back from a trip that consisted of a CRJ-100 and a CRJ-700, and the comfort difference is staggering. The FA told me that "everyone here can't wait to get rid of these things."
Old Apr 11, 2012, 6:56 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Hopefully they will be soft drink and beer cans soon.....
Old Apr 11, 2012, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If anything kills CRJ-200s it will have to be economics, not passenger preference. IMHO, a 3/4" lower floor and slightly larger windows do not improve CR7/9 to a 'staggering' degree. The fundamental problem is width at shoulder level; seat width measurements do not reflect vanishingly slim armrests nor narrow-backed seats slammed against sidewalls.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If anything kills CRJ-200s it will have to be economics, not passenger preference. IMHO, a 3/4" lower floor and slightly larger windows do not improve CR7/9 to a 'staggering' degree. The fundamental problem is width at shoulder level; seat width measurements do not reflect vanishingly slim armrests nor narrow-backed seats slammed against sidewalls.
It wasn't necessarily the seats that were more comfortable...I just meant walking around the cabin, everything on the CRJ was so much more cramped.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 7:10 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Rumor has it that Satan & Co. are trying to buy as many of the CR2s as they can for their subsidiary, Hell Airways.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by yohanson
Rumor has it that Satan & Co. are trying to buy as many of the CR2s as they can for their subsidiary, Hell Airways.
Excellent! They're augmenting their fleet of ex-ASA ATR-72s...nice to have options.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 8:09 am

I was on a flight recently where the FA was lamenting the loss of the Saabs (most of the flights had few passengers and due to the short duration of the flight there will be no beverage/snack service). As small as the CRJ is, some FA's like the fact that the short flights they can try and get away with no inflight service especially since there is no "first class" cabin
Old Apr 12, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Can't be soon enough. A CRJ-200 doesn't even compare to a 7 or 9.

I just had a MSP-OKC flight on 200. Under an hour I can survive... but this is over 2. Absolutely brutal.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:33 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Besides the comfort issue, there is also the reliability issue, especially on ASA. I only worry about making it to my destination when I am on a CRJ (barbie jet). If I know I am on a 700 or 900 I don't worry.

BTW, before someone feels the need to correct me and tell me ASA is now Expressjet, I will continue to call it ASA until they prove otherwise. I fly Expressjet on CO (UA) flights all the time, and have never had a problem.

I try to book away from both the CRJ and ASA, but it is sometimes just not possible.

Bets on whether ASA will have air conditioning on the CRJ this summer?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
In answer to the OP's title question, we can hope this is the answer:

http://www.amymittelman.com/musings/.../beer-cans.jpg
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by nystateofmind
I was on a flight recently where the FA was lamenting the loss of the Saabs (most of the flights had few passengers and due to the short duration of the flight there will be no beverage/snack service). As small as the CRJ is, some FA's like the fact that the short flights they can try and get away with no inflight service especially since there is no "first class" cabin
I flew Saabs with ZL on ADL-KGC-ADL in December and the FA did offered water service along with a mint on the 77-mile flights that never broke 10K feet. I'd like to see that sort of service with DL sometime.l
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
Besides the comfort issue, there is also the reliability issue, especially on ASA. I only worry about making it to my destination when I am on a CRJ (barbie jet). If I know I am on a 700 or 900 I don't worry.

BTW, before someone feels the need to correct me and tell me ASA is now Expressjet, I will continue to call it ASA until they prove otherwise. I fly Expressjet on CO (UA) flights all the time, and have never had a problem.

I try to book away from both the CRJ and ASA, but it is sometimes just not possible.

Bets on whether ASA will have air conditioning on the CRJ this summer?
Is it safety or on-time performance that you worry about with the CRJ?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: Delta Sky Miles
I would rather sit on a CRJ 200 than need to deal with going to LGA or JFK. I am happy though that HPN-ATL has been upgraded to 700s and 900s.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by mtkeller
I flew Saabs with ZL on ADL-KGC-ADL in December and the FA did offered water service along with a mint on the 77-mile flights that never broke 10K feet. I'd like to see that sort of service with DL sometime.l
The length of this flight does not permit service in the main cabin.....ESPECIALLY when the new issue of People magazine is released.

It's fun to look at old OAG's from the late 80's. NW served meals in F from MSP-DTW, snacks in F DTW-ORD (and many similarly-staged flights). Now, you can't get a cup of water on the CR2 to MDW from DTW.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by bubbashow
The length of this flight does not permit service in the main cabin.....ESPECIALLY when the new issue of People magazine is released.
Those magzines won't read themselves, ya know...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.