Wiki Posts
Search

Iceland- Continuing on to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2012, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Iceland- Continuing on to Europe

DL starts up its JFK-KEF flight on June 1st again. Here is my question: is there any ST carrier (ie. AF or KL) that flies from KEF to the European continent so that essentially a side trip to Iceland can be a stopover on the way to Europe?
Icelandair makes a living of allowing stops in Iceland on the way to Europe, but I cannot seem to find any AF or KL service, even seasonal.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 8:31 am

Programs: AA ExecP
skyteam.com shows nothing into the usual suspects of CDG, AMS, LHR, PRG, MAD, FCO etc etc....
Old Apr 5, 2012, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Well, one would think that a ST coded flight from either AMS or CDG would do decently in season, using a 737 or an A320. I understand that Iceland is a popular destination for inclusive tour charters.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would have guessed KLM to AMS; you might want to check whether their summer schedules have been loaded yet. Also check whether Icelandic codeshares or has any sort of DL or SkyTeam partnership status; at one time, they had such a relation with NW that used a lot of Icelandic capacity TATL during a pilot strike.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Perhaps the FlyingBlue board would attract some posters with detailed knowledge of AF/KL routes.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 9:48 am

I find checking the Wiki page for the airport to be the most enlightening. Local airport/tourist agencies tend to keep them up to date. The page notes the 2012 seasonal routes, so it looks pretty accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keflav%...tional_Airport

AF/KL serve the airport via Transavia. Which I believe is a non-member affiliate (no miles). There's a few OW and ST members, but most of the airlines serving the airport are LCCs.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:26 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Was hoping to do the same thing. Looks like the only option (summer schedule anyway) is an OK flight (Czech) leaving 4:30am on M/W for Prague and continuing on from there.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: D E L T A Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I just flew DL to KEF. No ST members fly to Europe from KEF so I bought a ticket on SAS for $221. Not bad at all.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by muntz73
I just flew DL to KEF. No ST members fly to Europe from KEF so I bought a ticket on SAS for $221. Not bad at all.
Umm, read up one post ;-)
Old Jul 31, 2012, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daveland
Was hoping to do the same thing. Looks like the only option (summer schedule anyway) is an OK flight (Czech) leaving 4:30am on M/W for Prague and continuing on from there.
Looks like that flight is actually a codeshare for OK operated by a carrier called Aero-Tropics. Therefore, one would not earn Skyteam credit unless one was in the OK Plus program, ie. no MQMs.

Nonetheless, I think that it is unfortunate that there is no ST carrier, either AF or KL, that provides seasonal service to/from KEF.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by muntz73
Where did you fly from? ITA is showing flights are 5k for Jan.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by RobertS975
Looks like that flight is actually a codeshare for OK operated by a carrier called Aero-Tropics. Therefore, one would not earn Skyteam credit unless one was in the OK Plus program, ie. no MQMs.

Nonetheless, I think that it is unfortunate that there is no ST carrier, either AF or KL, that provides seasonal service to/from KEF.
Interesting. You may be right, but I found the flights on the SkyTeam website! You'd think that would only show SkyTeam flights...
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
You never know until you try. [I have seen code-share flights marketed by some SkyTeam carriers credit to DL's program even as the flights were being operated by non-DL partners where I had done as you and assumed that the flights would not earn DL miles. (I decided to experiment because I would have otherwise gotten no useful credit out of those flights and the experimentation paid off for me and even some other FTers.) Even got class of service and/or elite status bonus as "applicable".]
Old Mar 9, 2013, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Once again, DL starts up service to KEF in June. Again I ask, does anyone see any way to continue on to Europe via a ST carrier?
Old Mar 9, 2013, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Once again, DL starts up service to KEF in June. Again I ask, does anyone see any way to continue on to Europe via a ST carrier?
As stated, you do not really have any SkyTeam partner options from KEF to Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.