FA doused me with red wine

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2012, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
FA doused me with red wine

Where do I start...

Taxiing in on ATL-LAX (777 in F).
Preflight service was non-existent until suddenly an EXTREMELY frazzled FA came down the aisle apologizing about the lack of service but she was trying to make sure we had meals. Fair enough, I'd be concerned too, but from the start it was really the frantic manner which I found odd..

After take off, she comes down the aisle again for drinks. By this time I've covered myself with the quilt, which she proceeds to reach down and feel, commenting "I've always wondered what these were made of." Odd and slight intrusive but still I'm doing OK, just think she's a bit off..

Then she comes trotting down the aisle again, this time with several trays stacked on top of each other. I I remember thinking the setup was unstable just as she drops a half-filled glass of wine (why anyone would fail to finish a glass of wine is beyond me) which spills all over me. Thankfully the quilt took some of the damage, but my sandals which were below the footrest (don't worry, I was wearing socks) are now covered in red wine. I scrubbed furiously (one of the other passengers even supplied baby wipes) but the smell remained. In addition, the carpet was soaked with wine. She dobbed it once with a cloth (after I asked) but it continued to reek of wine throughout the flight. At this point I should mention I'm particularly sensitive to this smell as I'm an alcoholic (albeit 5 years sober) so this is a bigger deal to me than it likely would be to most people..

The FA (even more frazzled than ever) apologizes and tells me she's going to give me some miles. When she comes back with the machine she asks for my SM#, then asks if I'm a medallion member. I answer honestly, no. She then proceeds to tell me she's giving me "2,500 miles to help [me] get to Silver or whatever." I'm an honest guy but I got to thinking that surely she gave me so little because I have no status (only 14k on delta so far this year. Regardless, my sandals are likely ruined and I'm a bit insulted at what I view to be .less-than-fair compensation -- particularly given what I've seen credits of four times that handed out for on this forum.

At this point, not quite sure what to do and would appreciate any advice. Is this something I should let go? Do I complain? Do I tell someone else? Is it out of line or unrealistic for me to expect Delta to replace my sandals?

Oh, and they never passed the snack basket in the forward F cabin (those in the rear got their Sun Chips)..
Old Apr 2, 2012, 7:49 pm

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
You can definitely email or call and ask for compensation for you sandals and then some, also say how weird the fa was by touching the comforter

Last edited by mendel k; Apr 2, 2012 at 8:39 pm
Old Apr 2, 2012, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL DM
Perhaps you should just move on, Michael. If you are that sensitive to problems on the road, you might be best-served just staying home?

Or hang out here...get miles, then complain how expensive "free" tickets have become because of Skypesos.
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Quilt?
Original Poster

Should I talk to a red coat in airport or call customer service?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
Quilt?
The BE one. Wasn't a BE flight but had full pillow and blanket.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by MichaelKade
Should I talk to a red coat in airport or call customer service?
Oh, I'd get an attorney and whip up as much crazy as possible.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Lifetime Silver, Delta MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat, Lifetime Hilton Honors Diamond
It happened to me once but luckily the FA was experienced enough to know the key to saving the shirt was getting soda water on it ASAP. Grabbed an extra shirt out of my suitcase, changed in the bathroom and she took care of it. This was on NWA. I still got a new shirt out of it.

I'd agree you got shorted on miles and I've never heard of an FA having clearance yo give you MQMs so they are probably nothing more than SkyPesos. Others may correct me Stuff happens but I'd say a letter wouldn't hurt..
Old Apr 2, 2012, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by MichaelKade
The BE one. Wasn't a BE flight but had full pillow and blanket.
The FA had never felt a BE quilt?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:02 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Write a nice letter. Don't get emotional, just be factual. You are entitled to compensation for ruined sandals. You aren't due any compensation for anything else in my opinion.
Be careful asking for opinions here, you will only get the extreme "you are an arse for asking for anything." to "screw Delta...".
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:05 pm

Programs: Skyteam
2500 miles she gave you was not for MQM, would not have helped you reach silver status.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:07 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
I would email Delta and explain the situation as well as talk about the FA's weird behavior. You'll probably get a good chunk of miles thrown at you and the situation will be followed up with internally.

Regarding the in-flight voucher, the miles you're receiving are just regular miles - FA's can't give out MQMs. Additionally, there's a limit on how many miles the FA can dispense which is why she didn't give you more.

If your miles from the in-flight voucher don't post within 4-6 weeks, email a scan of the voucher (or it's details) to [email protected].
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:34 pm
2mg

Doused?

This makes it sound like she intentionally 'covered' you in wine.
This sounds like an avoidable accident, she got a little overzealous with the trays and failed. Was she careless? Perhaps. Did she intentionally mean to do it? No. She attempted to make up for her accident and if you're not satisfied with the miles, give them back and ask for them to replace the sandals.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by 2mg
This makes it sound like she intentionally 'covered' you in wine.
This sounds like an avoidable accident, she got a little overzealous with the trays and failed. Was she careless? Perhaps. Did she intentionally mean to do it? No. She attempted to make up for her accident and if you're not satisfied with the miles, give them back and ask for them to replace the sandals.
BUT WHY DO WE HAVE TO BE PRACTICAL?!?!?!?! Why can't we kick our feet and scream and cry and complain and write and call until we get more and more and more.

Actually the biggest question I have - why are you wearing sandals in F class?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
I think you are entitled to getting sandals replaced and I am sure they will give you some miles for her spilling the wine, but it was an accident $hit happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.