Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What would you do? Flight attendant grabbed my arm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What would you do? Flight attendant grabbed my arm

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2012, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Hertz PC, Starwood Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Gold
Angry What would you do? Flight attendant grabbed my arm

Today on a short flight from Fort Myers to Atlanta where I was not upgraded, one of the flight attendants was obviously in a bad mood. During service, she shoved a bag of peanuts into my hand, and when dropping off my drink, it had over an inch of foam on top, spilled everywhere when she slammed it down, and had a 5 inch long ice cube clump in it, sticking about 3 inches out of the top. She obviously did not care about any quality of service

After finishing service she was bringing the cart back up to the front, and I heard her fast approach yelling "move your elbows arms and feet". No sooner had I head that, than she grabbed my arm and forceably attempted to move me to the side. I yelled at her "what the heck", but she went by so fast she did not even hear me.

I got the attention of the lead attendant and made her aware of what happened. The offending attendant came by some time late and stated that she "was sorry", but had done nothing more than touch me on the arm.

Upon getting off the plane and tried to get the attention of the pilot but he directed me to a redcoat waiting at the door of the plane. Shortly thereafter 3 more members of management showed up and asked what happened. I assume they must have called ahead that there had been an incident.

They all apologized profusely and stated they would look into what happened.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
I know I'm playing devil's advocate here, but it could be that the Captain ordered an immediate suspension of service because of rough air, and the FAs had to sit down as soon as possible - which could have caused her to rush past you in a rude way.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
Well maybe the flight attendant was in a bad mood, I don't think that's excuse though for that kind of service/behavior. At least she did apologize, but...

If management members showed up after the plane landed and not only apologized profusely, but said they would look into the incident...let them. I would probably send an e-mail to customer service and have it escalated to a supervisor, explain the situation and ask for an update if you haven't heard back in a few days. I often find CS to be responsive although it can take up to a week sometimes to get back.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nytraveller53
I know I'm playing devil's advocate here, but it could be that the Captain ordered an immediate suspension of service because of rough air, and the FAs had to sit down as soon as possible - which could have caused her to rush past you in a rude way.
Service was not being suspended. They actually starting hawking the Amex Cards a few minutes later, and that's when I got the attention of the lead flight attendant as she came by.

I contemplated filing a police report, but thought that was a bit overboard.

Management did seem honestly concerned.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
I think 10,000 skypesos are in order.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by wolfson292
Service was not being suspended. They actually starting hawking the Amex Cards a few minutes later, and that's when I got the attention of the lead flight attendant as she came by.

I contemplated filing a police report, but thought that was a bit overboard.

Management did seem honestly concerned.
My opinion on the filing a police report is a bit overboard, unless you really believe she meant harm but if that was the case I don't think she would have even said sorry to be honest.

I'm glad to see that Management was concerned, did they take your phone number or anything or let you know when they would contact you? I'd certainly ask for an update if you don't hear back within a few days.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 1:07 pm

I guess that rather than touching you to move your arm out of the way she could have just run the cart into it. Personally I would prefer a push to my arm rather than having it slammed into by the cart.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by stylo4444
My opinion on the filing a police report is a bit overboard, unless you really believe she meant harm but if that was the case I don't think she would have even said sorry to be honest.

I'm glad to see that Management was concerned, did they take your phone number or anything or let you know when they would contact you? I'd certainly ask for an update if you don't hear back within a few days.
Wouldn't surprise me if police were called had YOU grabbed the FA's arm.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 53flyer
I guess that rather than touching you to move your arm out of the way she could have just run the cart into it. Personally I would prefer a push to my arm rather than having it slammed into by the cart.
Except my arm was not in the way. She was bringing forward the second cart, and the previous one went by just fine, and neither my arm, shoulder, or elbow was in the isle.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Call the police? Seriously? Dramatic much!
Old Apr 1, 2012, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 53flyer
Or instead of rudely shoving the OP's arm aside, she could have paused a moment and said "excuse me, could you move your arm in so we can get past with the cart?"

I would prefer a verbal request than being shoved aside. Toss in the poor service and this is a recipe for management escalation, and given they were waiting at the door, someone called it in.

I wouldn't do the police report - unless there is some rationale behind her mental state, I'd think management is going to be harder on her than the police would. We've all had our bad days and done or said things to other people we deeply regretted after the fact.

I think 10,000 Skypesos is in order - it's not like you could actually redeem them for anything, right?
Old Apr 1, 2012, 1:18 pm

Programs: AAEXP4MM, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier/Lifetime Platinum, AVG Joe "nobody" everywhere else ; )
My thought is if she apologized let it go....
Old Apr 1, 2012, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by DL-Don
Wouldn't surprise me if police were called had YOU grabbed the FA's arm.
This.

But, she did come by and apologize. I would write a short, unemotional email to Delta and let it go.
(The FA was probably in a hurry.)
Old Apr 1, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: Delta -DM"working on KM" Hhonors-Gold Priorityclub- Plat
Originally Posted by ConciergeBrandon
This.

But, she did come by and apologize. I would write a short, unemotional email to Delta and let it go.
(The FA was probably in a hurry.)
+1^

A Police report? really? Let it go, write the email... we are all sorry your arm got pushed in.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 2:33 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by bocastephen
. . . . . unless there is some rationale behind her mental state. . . . .
Good point! ie: The JetBlue pilot incident and that crazy FA thing that happened recently - I forget which airline that was.

The only thing, as we have seen here before, FAs have the power to have pax arrested. If she had slightly twisted to story to be something like . . . The pax grabbed me in the aisle, so I shoved him back! It makes me wonder what story exactly was called in!

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I think 10,000 Skypesos is in order - it's not like you could actually redeem them for anything, right?
I guess it depends on the - as of yet unannounced - future SkyMiles to SkyPoints exchange rate!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.