Search

Gold Amex free bag policy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Marriott
Gold Amex free bag policy

Hey FT,

I am flying in a week or so on a ticket that I used a voucher on but also paid the remaining balance with my gold delta amex. Does the partial use of the gold amex allow a free checked bag, or is that only allowed when the full ticket is charged to the card?

Any experience is appreciated.

Thanks
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
All that matters is that you hold the card and that your SM # is in the PNR. You don't have to pay for any part of your ticket using your DL AmEx to get the first bag free.

You don’t have to pay for your ticket using your Delta SkyMiles Credit Card to receive the First Checked Bag Free benefit, but if you do, you’ll earn double miles!
http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...t_bag_free.jsp
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Marriott
Originally Posted by javabytes
All that matters is that you hold the card and that your SM # is in the PNR. You don't have to pay for any part of your ticket using your DL AmEx to get the first bag free.

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...t_bag_free.jsp
thanks for the quick response. although that perk happens to work in my favor it doesn't even seem right to me... now i'm beginning to understand why some FTers get upset with the cardholders
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The free bag also extends to others on the same PNR, IIRC up to nine people.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 5:20 am

Programs: DL silver,Hilton Gold,Marriott,VA,Amex Plat,Hertz Gold
Cool

Also the in the fine print, the primary(basic) card holder must be traveling. You are not the primary(basic) cardholder if your Skymiles number is not printed on the card. Also check that the Skymiles # on the PNR is the same # that is on the card. Had a problem with the free bag because Amex assigned me a new Skymiles # when I applied for the card ( even though I provided my Skymiles #) and the two numbers did to match. Had to call after trip and have the two Skymiles accounts combined.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 7:39 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Boat Drinks
You are not the primary(basic) cardholder if your Skymiles number is not printed on the card.
Not sure this is the best test. My SO's card doesn't have any SM# printed on it, even though she is the primary on her account. Best determination is made by logging in to Delta.com and seeking if "Gold Amex Holder" is listed under your name.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 7:42 am

Free checked bag usning AmEx Gold????

I'm confused. I buy all tix on my AmEx Gold. Can I check 1st bag free on any airline or only on DL?
Old Mar 29, 2012, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gzfraud
I'm confused. I buy all tix on my AmEx Gold. Can I check 1st bag free on any airline or only on DL?
Just DL and it must be the AmEx DL Gold card, not just any AmEx Gold card.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 8:05 am

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
Originally Posted by matthoyle
thanks for the quick response. although that perk happens to work in my favor it doesn't even seem right to me... now i'm beginning to understand why some FTers get upset with the cardholders
They're not just cardholders; they're Amex Medallion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.