Wiki Posts
Search

Before you order a drink on GoJet...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Before you order a drink on GoJet...

...make sure you ask for "no ice".

Spotted on last night's GoJet flight from LGA. Sat on the ground for probably 3 minutes before the F/A picked it up and used it

Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Do you lick the outside of the bag before you take a drink?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:31 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
In all fairness, I've seen many FAs breaking up bags of ice on the floor. I just try'n put it out of my head, thinking that after having been to 61 countries and 49 states, I'm sure I've had worse thingz in my mouth!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
The bag is there to protect the contents. Do you throw away a Snickers bar when it falls on the ground while still fully in its packaging?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
How on earth do you break up ice? Guess you wouldn't drink any of my beer at a party.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

There's a difference- and I'm speaking from experience here- those bags of ice are notorious for having holes in them. And I don't think comparing ice (a "fluid") and a candy bar, a solid, is the same.

Anyways, it then went into one of those "CHILL" buckets on the cart (which they couldn't drive through that CR7 to save their lives), opened more, mixed up (with the bag in there) and then served to the kettle in Y. I'm saying that the ice is unclean necessarily, but I think this is rather gross and something I wouldn't list as a "best practice".
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:42 pm

This probably happens at every single carrier worldwide that uses ice as part of its inflight service. How else are flight attendants expected to "break" the ice? I'm pretty sure the ice is "double bagged" too meaning there are two layers of plastic between the ice and whatever it is being slammed against.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Not sure where you guys are getting the whole breaking thing from, she just pulled it out and left it there.

And the ice isn't double bagged, as much as I wish it was. Got a nasty cut from an ice shard sticking out of a bag loading it on an MD-88.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
So this is your trip report huh? Makes me think twice about ordering my scotch on the rocks. But then again, I never fly GoJet, so hopefully this is not standard procedure on mainline A/C.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, SkyClub, CO, AA, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by lsugolfer
Guess you wouldn't drink any of my beer at a party.
You put ice in your beer?!?!?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:02 pm

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
Originally Posted by NYCsoundguy
Is it sad that that's the first thing that came to my mind about this thread, and the most lasting impression it's left on me?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:04 pm

Not sure where you guys are getting the whole breaking thing from, she just pulled it out and left it there.
Have you ever bought a bag of ice from a convenience store?

Odds are it was loaded onto an un-sanitized pallet, moved with a hand truck that has been used in a warehouse for 10+ years, loaded into a refrigerated truck with rotted floorboards, then delivered to the store and placed into a freezer with who knows what thrown in it since it was last cleaned.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:05 pm

Well I'm assuming this germaphobe wouldn't touch the outside of a beer can that touched ice that was in a bag thrown on the driveway to break it
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Obviously what I thought would start a discussion failed horribly and turned into a forum to accuse me of being a germophobe.

Forget I posted anything.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by iTanNicNic
Obviously what I thought would start a discussion failed horribly and turned into a forum to accuse me of being a germophobe.

Forget I posted anything.
You did start a discussion.

If this bothers you, I would recommend not asking for any ice on any aircraft, regardless of airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.