Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

is it possible to get seat assigned on Delta/CityJet flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2012, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*

Mrs Huge and I are flying tomorrow SEA-CDG-FLR, with the second segment a Delta Flight number but operated by CityJet - aircraft is Avro RJ85.

We have seats assigned but can't change them online. When I called the Platinum Delta line I was told "we can't touch those - we can't get seat assignments intra-Europe".

Is that right, or is there some sneaky way I can get new seat assignments? It's only a 2 hour flight so I'm not too stressed about it, but for full disclosure (and possibly TMI) I've had kidney stone surgery last week and would prefer to be on the aisle for possible emergency bathroom access. Obviously I'll try at the gate, but was hoping to lock something up sooner.

-Huge
Old Mar 24, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT PRO, DL FO
I was able to pull a reservation up on that route on the Air France website and play around with the seats (although I was in J and on the AF flight number, albeit on a Delta ticket). My reservation came right up on the US AF website, but for my travel companion I had to get the AF record locator from DL before the system could find his reservation.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
AF has been doing some weird things lately with OLCI for intra-European flights when they're coded as DL. I've seen multiple reports (including my own experience) of AF not letting you choose a seat at OLCI for the short flights and it not being possible to change other than at the airport. You could try calling/emailing AF about it.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
The PM agent was correct - you'll get your intra-EU seat assignments at check-in. Seating is 3-3 on CityJet's Avro RJs, but hopefully you'll an aisle.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 3:49 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Intra Europe, I think if you're in biz, you can get seats in advance, but in coach, they're auto assigned at check-in.

I have a J award ticket for July, and my BER/CDG flight does have a seat assignment. Coach, which is where I usually am, never.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 4:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by davetravels
Intra Europe, I think if you're in biz, you can get seats in advance, but in coach, they're auto assigned at check-in.

I have a J award ticket for July, and my BER/CDG flight does have a seat assignment. Coach, which is where I usually am, never.
This is correct. I've been able to select intra-European seats in advance (for LHR-CDG-LHR) for the first time ever after using an SWU and being upgraded to Eurobiz on those sectors as well.

To the OP: Once you get within 30 hours of departure, AF seizes absolute control of the seat map, and the only way to change seats is with them. You might try at SEA to see if a DL agent there can get into the system, since they have airport access that I don't think telephone reservations has.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Thanks everyone, I'll try in SEA and every step of the way after that...
Old Mar 24, 2012, 6:20 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by huge
Thanks everyone, I'll try in SEA and every step of the way after that...
If you don't like what you were auto-seated at check-in, and if DL GAs can't change it at SEA, you should be able to change it via kiosk or AF Lounge agent at CDG.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller
To the OP: Once you get within 30 hours of departure, AF seizes absolute control of the seat map, and the only way to change seats is with them. You might try at SEA to see if a DL agent there can get into the system, since they have airport access that I don't think telephone reservations has.
DL Airport agents have the same access that DL Telephone agents has - and thats absolutely nothing. AF controls all access to those seats, and if you cant schedule with them, then seats arent assignable until check-in 30 hours prior - there's very little exceptions to this. The only exception is if the seats are business class, which it sounds as if they are not in this instance.

OP: Dont sweat this out. At the 30 hour mark, any seat you want should be available...rarely do AF passengers flock to get assigned seats. And remember it's 30 hours prior to the start of your first segment. you should be able to get assigned seats for your flight right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.