Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Fare Class E finally answered??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Basic Economy Fare Class E finally answered??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2012, 3:09 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
value placed on ability to pre-assign seats (I don't know AirTran's current fee on discounted fares)
I recently flew my first ever FL segment! Why? Because I did a hidden city deal!

I went on Airtran.com to try'n select a seat, and it was asking for $12 (per segment, I believe).

I flew back on DL!

Originally Posted by azeckel
Clearly these fares are not intended for those of us on these boards, but rather for the "masses" that fly once every 2 years and are simply looking for the cheapest way to get from A to B. This segment probably doesn't pick their seats anyway, as they likely don't know better.
Many of us DO buy the cheapest fare - even DM & PMs! The way I see it, is the net unintended effect of this, is that now, some Medallions will have to PAY for our seats by buying a T or higher class fare.

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
So Medallions have to be in a telephone dialing contest at T-24 to get a Preferred Seat before the non-Medallions buy them out?
Originally Posted by skymilesinsider
Medallion customers traveling on a Basic Economy fare are still eligible for complimentary upgrades to FC and may be assigned a Preferred Seat by Delta at check-in.
May, or may not get a preferred seat! It's not guaranteed, and even if you are auto-assigned one, you still can't change it if you don't like it.

For me, I just have to hope this stays isolated to NK matching fares, as they don't fly to PIT.

Last edited by davetravels; Mar 22, 2012 at 3:45 am
Old Mar 22, 2012, 4:14 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by c_d
...They spend 5hrs in a train and had extra expenses for food, etc. to save $20! Those people are out there and they are more than us. Probably that is why DL feels so attracted to them.
The bolded part is something that most on here don't seem to get. Yes, the FF's M fare is earning DL more per seat than the T fare, but M fares aren't filling planes and won't fill planes.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 5:24 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Originally Posted by javabytes
What passenger rights are they incompatible with? I was under the impression EU carriers offered fares like this far more than US carriers did...
Sure, many fares are non-changeable and non-refundable, especially with the LLC. However, the non-airline portions of an non-refundable fare, such as taxes, non-airline fees, must be refunded in case you do consume the ticket.

Furthermore, adequate accommodation, food, and communications must be provided in any case by the airline when delays hit (that does include weather and strikes).

One "funny" observation: since he YQ is designated as tax in any DL tickets, this should be refunded as well. Do we have any lawyers on board that may comment on that?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 5:37 am
c_d

Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
The bolded part is something that most on here don't seem to get. Yes, the FF's M fare is earning DL more per seat than the T fare, but M fares aren't filling planes and won't fill planes.
YES! That whole M-fare business ... I am flying DL fairly often because my travel department is legally bound to book the cheapest fare. Ex-EU, DL was constantly underbidding all other carriers in the cheapest Economy fare, while being just blown out of proportion on higher-Y's and J. I had a short-notice booking two weeks ago to go to Germany with only 4 days of advance booking: T was $780, M was around $4k, and J was in excess of $7k. Sorry DL, for my leisure trips, I would rather book a J on COUA for 3K than shelling out $4k for M with no guarantees and I would definitely not pay $7k for a recliner on a 763.

Anyway the primary problem is the T fare is too cheap to be sustained by DL indefinitely, and the M fare is too expensive to be sustained by the passengers. Everything in between is just waste of fare codes by exporting the capacity management to us. Adding yet another fare under T is not helping here, although they could make E the new T and slightly raise everything else.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 7:19 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
E fare = Middle Seat, Medallion or not......
Old Mar 22, 2012, 7:22 am

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by c_d
Anyway the primary problem is the T fare is too cheap to be sustained by DL indefinitely, and the M fare is too expensive to be sustained by the passengers.
To make a vain attempt at making this on topic:if the T fare is too cheap they wouldn't be introducing an even cheaper E fare.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by c_d
One "funny" observation: since he YQ is designated as tax in any DL tickets, this should be refunded as well. Do we have any lawyers on board that may comment on that?
It's not a tax, but rather a surcharge or fee. It is included in the Taxes and Fees area. Apart from that I would like to know the answer, too.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:11 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
I must use a corporate booking engine that will pull the lowest fares. I don't know the fare class until after the reservation gets ticketed.

I guess I will have to alert our travel department to the existence of new fares that are completely unchangeable.

David
Old Mar 22, 2012, 9:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Apparently you've been drinking so much Delta koolaid that you missed all the unannounced enhancements the past three years. And if you think you can convince me that DL does a good job with communication you're blowing smoke. I'm not talking CEO giving me a call, but open communication with customers. Let's not blow it out of proportion.
I'm not talking about (or dwelling in) the past. This thread is about the introduction of Basic Economy and a new "E" fare class. Delta has communicated this change (or enhancement if you prefer) in several different ways. If you do not feel the communication was clear, I'm curious what more you would expect Delta to do?

Originally Posted by mnredfox
I've seen a lot of absence of facts in your posts. Seems like a lot of exaggeration to me.
What facts are missing and what facts have I exaggerated?

P.S. Holding up an analogy as an exaggeration doesn't count.

Originally Posted by DiverDave
I must use a corporate booking engine that will pull the lowest fares. I don't know the fare class until after the reservation gets ticketed.

I guess I will have to alert our travel department to the existence of new fares that are completely unchangeable.
I would definitely alert your travel department and ask/encourage them to exclude E fares from the search results. Our corporate booking engine only displays the lowest available fare for the flight and they were able to make that change.

Depending on what booking engine you use, there may be a link to fare rules even if the fare class isn't noted. Not that it helps if you can't pick a different fare class.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 9:17 am
c_d

Originally Posted by mother-
To make a vain attempt at making this on topic:if the T fare is too cheap they wouldn't be introducing an even cheaper E fare.
I beg to differ. DL is co-financing their ridiculous cheap seats with the higher-priced and so is every other airline. However, in certain markets super-cheap is still not cheap enough to compete with other carriers and a downward spiral is engaged. Then fares like E are introduced and not only other setas but also other routes are used for co-financing. According to freely available information (I cannot determine how accurate that is though), such as from airlinefinancials.com and yahoo biz, the consolidated operating cost per available seat mile ("CASM") was around $0.14 at Delta. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to determine that a $500 to $600 a/i r/t to heavily fought markets, such as EU, are NOT sustainable.

I am actually happy that the TXL craziness is gone, in 2008 I was able to book several €351 a/i r/t to JFK! Eventually, I was the one hurting because DL trained the wrong crowd to be in their planes. Those were filles with 90% tourists and eventually DL dropped that route. Woo is suffering now? Me.

As I said before in this thread, I just booked a T fare 4 days in advance for $780 yielding a total of 11453 miles flown. I think everyone else can see that there is something wrong with that picture but I thank everyone booking into a higher fare (not class!) to have actually paid parts of my ticket.

This fare, in my little opinion, is aimed at infrequent flyers that do not require certain amenities, such as seat selection, because their only selection criteria is price. Anyway, at the end of the day, Delta needs to make a profit and cover costs. If E cannot deliver that, then the other seats need to subsidise the infrequent traveller even more. Therefore, I personally expect the E fare only to be cheaper in comparison and ratio, which simply means: E is taking the role of T now and every fare starting from T will be raised in price to offset the lost revenue.

As a monetary result, E is not underbidding T and is not an
Originally Posted by mother-
even cheaper E fare.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 9:20 am
c_d

Originally Posted by Pharaoh
It's not a tax, but rather a surcharge or fee.
I am aware of that.

Originally Posted by Pharaoh
It is included in the Taxes and Fees area. Apart from that I would like to know the answer, too.
No, that observation is deprecated. DL has changed the layout and design on their forms, the YQ is now in shown in a section named exactly that: "TAX" Can someone name a upload tool that does not require a login for attaching a recent statement?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by c_d
Can someone name a upload tool that does not require a login for attaching a recent statement?
I use postimage.org
Old Mar 22, 2012, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
E = EVIL.

This is a bad road to go down for Corporate business travellers. For now they appear to earn full MQMs but folks, really, the "Bad" change will come unannounced at some point. You woulda thought that DL Insider would have given the amazingly loyal DL base here a heads up.... I am glad the UA integration issues are smoothing out. 2 trips next week and both UDU's cleared right at 96 hours. For a while there I thought I might have to come back to DL

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
E fare = Middle Seat, Medallion or not......
E Fare = Evil.

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I see no problem with this idea. If people want to save a few bucks and deal without knowing where they sit, then so be it. If it fills some middle seats, DL will take the extra revenue. Me, I won't buy a flight unless I know I'm in EC or an exit row at worst. I'll even pay a few bucks for that comfort. But, most people will do anything to save a buck and then complain the whole time before repeating the process.

The airlines have figured out that most people will buy what's cheapest and take their lumps later. That's why stuff like baggage fees have been successful.

I'm just waiting for some family to complain that they bought E fares for them and their kids and they ended up in some random middle seats and no one would switch with them.
The issue is with Corporate booking engines. Many times there is no choice to book a higher fare. That means DM's are in middle seats in the back. To me that is a huge problem and I can see many DM's jumping because of this. This is a tactical mistake on DL's part IMO.

Last edited by Canarsie; Mar 22, 2012 at 11:58 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by avidflyer
The issue is with Corporate booking engines. Many times there is no choice to book a higher fare. That means DM's are in middle seats in the back. To me that is a huge problem and I can see many DM's jumping because of this. This is a tactical mistake on DL's part IMO.
^
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by avidflyer
^^^

We should all keep in mind that the bean counters who have input to corporate travel budgets and travel policies may have received their MBAs from the same places as the "lusting over pennies" bean counters who pull the strings within DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.