Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2012, 7:25 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by WAS
1. I disagree. Short-haul tickets are a bargain in programs like Avios, BMI Diamond Club, etc. If Delta changes the redemption to something similar to "Pay-With-Miles", then there is no difference in redeeming short-haul or long-haul. It's just a cashback program.
Yes, but short-haul is where the other programs (except Avios for AA direct flights) are poor values. That's why I would reserve fare-based redemptions for cheap flights. Not because the redemption is a better value* but because it's where other programs don't give you a good redemption option.

*The lowest fares do provide a very slightly better redemption value in a fare-based programs, because the taxes, which are mostly avoided when you redeem an award, are a higher percentage of the cash ticket price.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL EOS...
Originally Posted by houflier
I guess we can make a decision to switch/not once we understand full implications on roll-out
Yes, that's the healthy approach. It's obvious there's a significant number of people here who have freakish control issues. I can't find the thread at the moment but some user literally demanded (in rude prosecutorial manner) that one of the DL reps reply to some crazy claim of percieved wrongdoing.

Something's afoot, dunno what, when or where but when I do, that'll be the moment I can actually do something about it...
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by houflier
I guess we can make a decision to switch/not once we understand full implications on roll-out
The problem is many of us have hundreds of thousands or millions of miles in our accounts that could become functionally useless in an instant. We would prefer some transparency to know how to best proceed, but that is not in the best interest of DL's bottom line (as the AMEX gift card redemption mileage increase can attest)
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by bubbashow
What makes it difficult is the inability to control the message. You don't want a social media presence in which you are being slammed. Afterall, it is a marketing tool. I know where I work, we didn't have the resources to monitor our social media 24/7, so we eliminated the ability to blindly post to our Facebook - for two reasons 1) we didn't want a negative message to hold for any length of time 2) we didn't want uncompensated marketing messages. I am sure Dl doesn't have the human resources to sit and monitor FT when they have their own social media outlets. With the hostility that has been readily displayed on here, I can understand their unwillingness to even embark on communication.
Well to make you aware, or maybe you just forgot, Delta does have a 24/7 presence in social media on Twitter. You think some of the words on this forum are harsh and hurtful? Go to Twitter, search any airline, and read away...

Delta's presence on Twitter has proven very beneficial to the company - and customers. Nasty postings are quickly responded to and, more importantly, Delta Twitter representatives take control of the situation. There have been a few articles praising Delta's social media presence and game plan on Twitter.

No one's saying the SkyMiles folks need to equal Delta's twitter team but their near silence and lack of proactive communication only hurts the program and the airline.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:57 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
The problem is many of us have hundreds of thousands or millions of miles in our accounts that could become functionally useless in an instant.
Oh, you had WorldPerks miles as well?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:58 pm

Fares paid versus miles flown creates an inherent conflict of interest for anyone who flies on the client's dime.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
The problem is many of us have hundreds of thousands or millions of miles in our accounts that could become functionally useless in an instant. We would prefer some transparency to know how to best proceed, but that is not in the best interest of DL's bottom line (as the AMEX gift card redemption mileage increase can attest)
Originally Posted by Sabai
Oh, you had WorldPerks miles as well?
LOL. Can they become functionally useless twice?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 9:05 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Wow. Just got back from the United board. There are some epic threads going on over there right now.

A lot of those folks are really unhappy with the new, improved UA.

SO... with United looking like a dumpster fire, maybe DL thinks the timing is perfect to spring this change on the SM program?

"Where are they gonna go? US?" is probably what a lot of the DL executives are thinking.

(Sorry if someone already posted this earlier in the thread.)
Old Mar 22, 2012, 9:17 pm

I like how the A.net thread has died while this one burns on, though nothing has come out from DL on this.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by AUDirt
"Where are they gonna go? US?" is probably what a lot of the DL executives are thinking.
As they plan to buy US too...
Old Mar 22, 2012, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
As they plan to buy US too...
Just think if US had their way a few years ago they would have bought Delta and this giant thread would not even exist as Skymiles would have gone the way of Worldperks as they would have been absorbed into Dividend Miles.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 9:55 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Spence1097
Just think if US had their way a few years ago they would have bought Delta and this giant thread would not even exist as Skymiles would have gone the way of Worldperks as they would have been absorbed into Dividend Miles.
Some of us, myself included, would probably still be discussing the WorldPerks program. Or we would be dreading the upcoming NW-UA merger
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:25 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Fares paid versus miles flown creates an inherent conflict of interest for anyone who flies on the client's dime.
To the airline that's a feature, not a bug!
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by nsx
ROFL
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nsx
So funny and not funny at all, all at the same time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.