Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2012, 6:47 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Howste
sward
Noun:
1. An expanse of short grass.
2. The upper layer of soil, esp. when covered with grass.
Synonyms: lawn - turf - grass - green - greensward

Are they putting lawns in SkyClubs now?
Well, the grass IS greener in the SC...

Thanks for catching my (and autocorrect's) error!
Old Aug 30, 2012, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by Dovster
To a great degree, yes, it is true of any so-called loyalty program. The airlines, hotels, and car rental agencies, however, have carried it a step beyond. By estabiishing "elite" levels they are not only influencing your present buying decision but also your future ones.

With every purchase that you make, it becomes more difficult not to purchase from that company in the future.
Everything you say is correct, but the point that I have been making for years is that FF programs are a marketing advantage ONLY if every airline did not have one. For everyone like you, Dovster, and me who are sucked into the DL/Skyteam vortex, there is another individual just like us who makes that same TLV-LAS trip by connecting in London/Chicago or EWR.

FF programs actually cause inefficiency in the world's aviation transportation systems by enticing countless millions of us to take extra flights to our destinations rather than nonstops.

I am one of those people who flies to Florida from BOS on a DL flight with a connection rather than taking a B6 nonstop. Usually the price is close to the same, and I am almost always upgraded. But who makes more from my $300 fare... DL who has to handle me twice as well as my luggage, or B6 who could fly my avoirdupois through the air for a few less hours of burning fuel.

FF programs are the tail that wags the dog.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by dcline414
A few things:
  1. You're crazy.
  2. I have literally NEVER found ANY low awards (including partners, any number of connections, at any time of day or night) to ANYWHERE I've ever wanted to go.
  3. I have gotten an upgrade ONCE, mostly flying K/Q/H/M fares. Award upgrades just ain't gonna happen. Ever.
  4. You are CRAZY.
Wow, the last 3 award tickets I booked, I got upgraded on most of the segments. I am only PM - homebase IND
Old Aug 30, 2012, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by RobertS975
FF programs actually cause inefficiency in the world's aviation transportation systems by enticing countless millions of us to take extra flights to our destinations rather than nonstops.
Only to a point. What causes this more is that airlines tend to price non-stops much higher than 1 or 2 stops because of the convenience value.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
The same happens when someone buys a flight with a connection because it's cheaper or because of a mileage run. Also, FF programs *improve* efficiency when they cause a seat to be filled when it otherwise wouldn't have been sold.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Too bad all my friends and family live in the US, where low-tier redemptions can only be found to places I've never wanted to go to! No amount of time and effort will help you for some routes (like every place I've ever searched).
I flew SEA - BOS on AS in low last month too.

If you truly believe that you have fallen for one of the most successful advertising gimmicks ever invented.

No airline, hotel chain, or car rental agency has a loyalty program. They are not interested in your loyalty (and certainly do not give you any in return). They are interested in your future purchases, not your past ones.

I am not condemning this. It is exactly how a business should work.

What any so-called "loyalty program" does is try to lock you in, so that your next purchase is more likely to go to the company which operates it instead of a competitor.

Let's assume that I want to fly TLV-LAS in Business Class next week. I am not going to get a non-stop flight from anyone, so I realize I am going to have to connect somewhere -- either in the States or Europe. This means that convenience is not much of a factor.

Three airlines offer me cheaper fares than Delta, so normally they would have first priority. Guess what? If I choose Delta I get the SkyMiles, which together with the ones I already have, will allow me to upgrade on a future flight.

More than that, I will go from Gold to Platinum status, meaning that I get other (smaller) benefits. Together, yes, they are worth the extra $300 to me so I select Delta for this itinerary.

I could probably get an equivalent deal from other airlines, but Delta (or at least SkyTeam) has a major marketing advantage because of my previous flights, status, and already-earned SkyMiles.

I am not, however, choosing this flight because of loyalty. Nor is Delta offering me these benefits out of loyalty. It is an excellent marketing program for Delta, it gives me somewhat of an advantage, and thus it is the best business deal for both sides.

That is the deciding factor -- not loyalty.
I was with you to a degree, but these rumors are concerning for me.

Another thing that is concerning is DL raising sale fares by 30% YOY and lowering availability for award tickets for the routes I usually fly.

To a great degree, yes, it is true of any so-called loyalty program. The airlines, hotels, and car rental agencies, however, have carried it a step beyond. By estabiishing "elite" levels they are not only influencing your present buying decision but also your future ones.

With every purchase that you make, it becomes more difficult not to purchase from that company in the future.
Well, the advent of status match helps when poaching customers.

I am now *G because of it.

I am one of those people who flies to Florida from BOS on a DL flight with a connection rather than taking a B6 nonstop. Usually the price is close to the same, and I am almost always upgraded. But who makes more from my $300 fare... DL who has to handle me twice as well as my luggage, or B6 who could fly my avoirdupois through the air for a few less hours of burning fuel.

FF programs are the tail that wags the dog.
The flight with the connection will also take place regardless or whether you are on or not.

The hub and spoke is essential for global traveling. If not, someone could ask why they aren't offering a direct flight from Tasmania to Portland, Maine. Domestic travel is another equation

Last edited by DHalltheway; Aug 30, 2012 at 9:32 pm
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:03 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Everything you say is correct, but the point that I have been making for years is that FF programs are a marketing advantage ONLY if every airline did not have one. For everyone like you, Dovster, and me who are sucked into the DL/Skyteam vortex, there is another individual just like us who makes that same TLV-LAS trip by connecting in London/Chicago or EWR.FF programs actually cause inefficiency in the world's aviation transportation systems by enticing countless millions of us to take extra flights to our destinations rather than nonstops.
I would counter that the inefficiency actually created is just "stickiness" of pricing.

In other words, people make rational decisions based on their own private cost/benefit analysis. Loyalty provides auxiliary benefits that are worth paying a slight premium for, but this hides the true impact of pricing changes to an airline. What is worth a slight premium today may easily translate into a WN purchase tomorrow, with little to no warning to DL.

Last edited by dcline414; Aug 31, 2012 at 10:37 am Reason: Android keyboard sucks
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree with this. I am staying this week at a hotel that is less convenient than the one that I otherwise could have stayed at because I have elite status with the chain that owns the hotel that I am at and no status with the other chain. If hotel loyalty programs do not exist, I would have stayed at the other hotel.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by mooper
The same happens when someone buys a flight with a connection because it's cheaper or because of a mileage run. Also, FF programs *improve* efficiency when they cause a seat to be filled when it otherwise wouldn't have been sold.
Say a DL flyer has to fly from BOS to TPA. Yes, the seat gets filled from BOS to ATL and ATL on to TPA. But you assume that those seats would not have been filled otherwise if there were no FF programs. But what about the UA/CO passenger in BOS that needs to go to ATL. Right now, he takes a flight through EWR or IAD to get to ATL. Absent FF programs, he would have been on the DL nonstop to ATL.

What if an airline says to other carriers' FF elites, "We will give all you other elites privileges on DL, not a challenge, but privileges." Essentially, that is what AS does with DL flyers. And I have flown on AS a half dozen times over the past two years because I get my precious DL MQMs, early boarding, upgrades etc. Otherwise, I would have flown to PDX and SEA via SLC.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 9:36 am

I would counter that the inefficiency actually created is just "stickiness" of pricing.

In other words, p9eople make rational decisions based on their own private cost/benefit analysis. Loyalty provides auxiliary benefits that are worth paying a slight premium for, but this hides the true impact of pricing changes to an airline.What is worth a slight premium today may easily translate into a WN purchase tomorrow, with little to no warning to DL.
The real dirty fact is that there are actually no real LCCs. WN and B6 charge a pretty penny for most competitive markets. I just did a ticket for my son FLL-BOS-FLL... I could have bought DL with a connection in ATL, CVG or DTW for $220 RT. If it had been me, that is what I would have done. But in deference to my son, I bought him nonstop flights on B6 and ended up paying about $310 RT, and this could have been greatly boosted if I had booked extra room seats (which I did not). He gets one free checked piece on B6 whereas DL would have charged for this.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:05 am

Say a DL flyer has to fly from BOS to TPA. Yes, the seat gets filled from BOS to ATL and ATL on to TPA. But you assume that those seats would not have been filled otherwise if there were no FF programs. But what about the UA/CO passenger in BOS that needs to go to ATL. Right now, he takes a flight through EWR or IAD to get to ATL. Absent FF programs, he would have been on the DL nonstop to ATL.

What if an airline says to other carriers' FF elites, "We will give all you other elites privileges on DL, not a challenge, but privileges." Essentially, that is what AS does with DL flyers. And I have flown on AS a half dozen times over the past two years because I get my precious DL MQMs, early boarding, upgrades etc. Otherwise, I would have flown to PDX and SEA via SLC.
I'm no expert but that doesn't sound like a good example. I suspect that BOS-ATL is a more popular route than BOS-TPA. So in that case without FF programs, the BOS-TPA flyer would be forced to fly via ATL or some other carrier's hub or fly via B6 (I don't think UA flies that route direct?).
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
The real dirty fact is that there are actually no real LCCs.
I think Spirit would disagree. Keep in mind, LCC refers to the airline's costs, not yours.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Possibly, not necessarily. My point is that the programs both add some efficiencies and take away others.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 8:33 am

I had my epiphany moment in thinking about FF programs and how they have had a Pavlovian effect on so many of us, me included, while waiting in SLC for a flight to BOS. The inbound flight from SFO was delayed about an hour, and it was before the GIDS screens listed all the connections. So as I watched the pax leave the delayed inbound, I was struck by the connection requests to the Red Coat from many of the early exiting (the FC cabin) passengers... SAN, LAX, SEA, PHX!

The point is that these passengers chose a connection through SLC to places that they could have flown to on another carrier's nonstop on what could have been a one hour flight. Even if their connection in SLC had gone smoothly, they were taking three to four hours to do what they could have done in one hour. I am willing to bet that many of these people charge hundreds of dollars an hour for their services in their professional lives, yet they select a travel process that wastes hours of their time for DL FF miles and MQMs and a chance at a FC seat. And they chance the ultimately indignity, thankfully rare, of a missed connection requiring an unplanned overnight stay. Believe me, I ain't preaching... I have done this many times. I have flown from BOSORD via DTW or CVG. I have flown BOSBWI via DTW.

What if the airlines all said that FF miles would be allotted based on origin and destination, and not by the mileage of each segment?
Old Sep 1, 2012, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by mikeef
I think Spirit would disagree. Keep in mind, LCC refers to the airline's costs, not yours.
I don't count Spirit or Allegiant as real airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.