Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

You might appreciate this quote from The Atlantic...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

You might appreciate this quote from The Atlantic...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2012, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
Smile You might appreciate this quote from The Atlantic...

As I was reading The Atlantic's column, "What's Your Problem?" (a favorite of mine), I came across a section that I thought the folks here at the Delta forum would like...

I’m a frequent flier, but only in the middle range of frequent fliers, so when I do get upgraded from economy to business class, it’s often at the last second. A flight attendant ordinarily will come back to my seat and tell me that a seat is open in business class. I feel very self-conscious about taking that seat in business class at the last second, as if everyone is staring at me. Should I just not take the seat if this is the way I feel?

S.G., Hartford, Conn.

Dear S.G.,

On domestic flights, approximately 100 percent of the people you are joining in business class are also bumped-up frequent fliers, so please don’t feel self-conscious. The key is to behave as though you belong. So no outbursts along the lines of “Cashews? For real? Sweet! I can’t believe we get cashews! This is so awesome!” Just smile and enjoy not getting your knees crushed by the Chipotle-eating orc in the seat in front of you who doesn’t understand that just because the seatback reclines doesn’t mean you’re obligated to recline.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Thanks for sharing.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 7:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, DL DM MM. National Exec... and my CC qualified for Plat. Status!
To the author...

Be proud of your UPGRADE! Shout it from the mountaintop!!!

I say the quiet cool is overrated. Ask for a glass of wine and when they pour it, ask them to leave the bottle! Ask for a snack and dump the whole thing in your carry on.

I figure if you are going to feel uncomfortable from the attention, at least give your self something to be self concious about.

BTW Mr/Mrs MOD... This is not exactly Delta specific. Maybe others would appreciate the story.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 7:10 pm

Programs: Delta FO, United Silver, National Executive, HHonors Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by nytraveller53
As I was reading The Atlantic's column, "What's Your Problem?" (a favorite of mine), I came across a section that I thought the folks here at the Delta forum would like...
This I love.

Thanks for sharing!!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:11 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Thanks for sharing! Must not be DL, more times than not, they don't come looking for the next person on the UG list to put in the open F/BE seat. They put the next available DL employee there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.