Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Weird Story -Still In Works-Skyteam Partner Canceled Reservation Booked Through Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weird Story -Still In Works-Skyteam Partner Canceled Reservation Booked Through Delta

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2012, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

I have a little bit of a weird story taking place as we speak. I am currently booked (at least I thought I was booked) on the following itinerary:
Outbound: LGA - DTW - PVG (Delta Flight 181)
Return: PVG-JFK (Delta Flight 7003 Operated By China Eastern MU 587)
I booked the flight through a Delta representative and received all my receipts and confirmations in good order. I was even able to view and manage the reservation through delta.com.
When calling to get seat assignments, the Delta representative told me that they would be able to assign me seats on the Delta operated flights only (the outbound). For the return (MU operated flight), i would need to contact the airline directly.
I figured that would not be a problem. I proceeded to contact China Eastern (had to call their ticket desk in PVG). After given the MU agent my ticket number, she told me there was a problem with my reservation and she is not showing me being booked and or confirmed on the MU 587 flight.
I proceeded to call Delta immediately and simultaneously logged into my skymiles account. I noticed that the return portion (China Eastern Flight) was not showing up on my upcoming itineraries.
The Delta agent confirmed that although my record states i purchased an outbound and return flight, my return flight was canceled by the skyteam partner (China Eastern). She said she would call the airline and get me re-booked. After keeping me on hold, she returned to the phone and said China Eastern is not being responsive. They took my number and told me they would call me back within an hour (by 8:30CST today 3/4/12). She also mentioned that if they can not get me on the nonstop MU Flight 587, they can reroute me through DTW and or NRT to get me home that day. those are both DL operated flights.
I really do appreciate the DL agent going above and beyond in trying to fix the issue. However, I really would rather take a nonstop back home as opposed through flying through NRT and or DTW. Obviously it is most important i get home that day, but it would be quite inconvenient to fly home indirect.

Here is my question:
If Delta can only get me on the Delta operated indirect flights (through DTW or NRT), is it fair to ask them for any sort of compensation due the what happened?
With all due respect, if I never called to get a seat assignment, i never would have known that my reservation was canceled. I received no email from Delta or China Eastern. That would have been a big problem.
Im thinking to ask Delta to book me on an M fare or higher at no additional charge so I can use upgrade certificates on the indirect flights (if available).

If not, I will request some sort of compensation for this mishap. After all, the whole reservation was made through Delta and I would expect Delta to have a better hold on who they choose as skyteam partners to code share their flights with.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I will keep you posted on what happens.

Thanks.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 8:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Award travel or paid travel?
Old Mar 4, 2012, 8:42 pm
mpp

Originally Posted by jackh5
If Delta can only get me on the Delta operated indirect flights (through DTW or NRT), is it fair to ask them for any sort of compensation due the what happened?
You can ask them. I'm not sure they will give you anything. You could still purchase the non-stop if that's what you really want and a seat is available.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbrower
Award travel or paid travel?
Paid travel
Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackh5
I have a little bit of a weird story taking place as we speak. I am currently booked (at least I thought I was booked) on the following itinerary:
Outbound: LGA - DTW - PVG (Delta Flight 181)
Return: PVG-JFK (Delta Flight 7003 Operated By China Eastern MU 587)
I booked the flight through a Delta representative and received all my receipts and confirmations in good order. I was even able to view and manage the reservation through delta.com.
When calling to get seat assignments, the Delta representative told me that they would be able to assign me seats on the Delta operated flights only (the outbound). For the return (MU operated flight), i would need to contact the airline directly.
I figured that would not be a problem. I proceeded to contact China Eastern (had to call their ticket desk in PVG). After given the MU agent my ticket number, she told me there was a problem with my reservation and she is not showing me being booked and or confirmed on the MU 587 flight.
I proceeded to call Delta immediately and simultaneously logged into my skymiles account. I noticed that the return portion (China Eastern Flight) was not showing up on my upcoming itineraries.
The Delta agent confirmed that although my record states i purchased an outbound and return flight, my return flight was canceled by the skyteam partner (China Eastern). She said she would call the airline and get me re-booked. After keeping me on hold, she returned to the phone and said China Eastern is not being responsive. They took my number and told me they would call me back within an hour (by 8:30CST today 3/4/12). She also mentioned that if they can not get me on the nonstop MU Flight 587, they can reroute me through DTW and or NRT to get me home that day. those are both DL operated flights.
I really do appreciate the DL agent going above and beyond in trying to fix the issue. However, I really would rather take a nonstop back home as opposed through flying through NRT and or DTW. Obviously it is most important i get home that day, but it would be quite inconvenient to fly home indirect.

Here is my question:
With all due respect, if I never called to get a seat assignment, i never would have known that my reservation was canceled. I received no email from Delta or China Eastern. That would have been a big problem.
Im thinking to ask Delta to book me on an M fare or higher at no additional charge so I can use upgrade certificates on the indirect flights (if available).

If not, I will request some sort of compensation for this mishap. After all, the whole reservation was made through Delta and I would expect Delta to have a better hold on who they choose as skyteam partners to code share their flights with.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I will keep you posted on what happens.

Thanks.
Update: no one from delta called me back. I called to follow up and was told that I was booked on the following flights:
PVG NRT JFK
Although I trust flying Delta operated flights better than MU, I'm a little upset that I was not notified that either Delta or MU canceled my return. Imagine I didn't call MU for a seat assignment? I never would have known that my return flight was cancelled!
Anyways I was told someone from Delta will call me tomorrow as they will still try to get me on nonstop (MU flight). If not we (delta and myself) can work out some sort of compensation.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:46 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
They don't owe you compensation, but they should give you something for your trouble since they screwed you over. They have consistently failed to make the alliance carriers actually work together. This is a problem for all alliances.

They definitely won't give you an M fare at no extra charge, that's probably worth at least an additional $1000.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO the nonstop DL PVG-DTW flight is better than China Eastern as it's on the 777 and DTW is a very good airport for international connections. I realize that this means taking a connecting flight to NYC, but surely landing at LGA is an advantage over JFK. The NRT connection would not be as good because IIRC it's a nonreconfigured 747 nonstop from NRT to JFK, although I think the PVG-NRT hop might be the 777 and in any event NRT is wonderful, especially the SCs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.