Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why do people do mileage runs these days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do people do mileage runs these days?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:48 pm
VVF
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DL-Don
If you know you're going to fly, fly, fly next year and you're an "inch" from PM or DM in December, an MR bumping you up can make your life very much easier when you're flying next year. In most cases, doing MRs for RDMs make little sense.
Those "just-a-short-flight-to-get-to-higher-tier" MRs are perfectly understandable. I was referring to the very involved ones, really flying a lot for the sake of miles and MQMs. Maybe it is a small percentage of flyers, but it is a real phenomenon, just look even at the DL forum alone.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by VVF
Those "just-a-short-flight-to-get-to-higher-tier" MRs are perfectly understandable. I was referring to the very involved ones, really flying a lot for the sake of miles and MQMs. Maybe it is a small percentage of flyers, but it is a real phenomenon, just look even at the DL forum alone.
It's a phenomenon that Delta tried to tap into prior to the end of 2011. They offered you the chance to buy MQM's. I can almost guarantee you that Delta looks at itineraries and these forums, looking to see how many people are flying Mileage runs and if they stand a good chance to make money from selling MQM's. Also, they would prefer to get $300 out of you sitting at home instead of taking up a seat. Bottom line: Delta is aware of this phenomenon so the small percentage of flyers is enough to trigger actions.

Being in the military really causes me to value my time tremendously. I cannot see myself doing a mileage run just for the sake of gaining status or miles. Now I would definitely book an inexpensive trip somewhere long distance, spend a day or two there to have fun, and then come back with the bonus prize of extra MQM's and miles.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:14 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by VVF
Indeed it is a small percentage of fliers and frankly, some don't give a hoot about achieving elite status. Some game the system for VDB's. Some just love flying to different destinations. And some just do it for the RDM's, which are converted into award flts in F/BE. After all, if you are flying in front, how important is status anyway?

Maybe doesn't make sense to you but it sure does to others. This video by Gabriel Leigh (FT member) says a lot. BTW, he is working on a new, longer feature about flying...

http://vimeo.com/7167640
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:34 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Spyro
Being in the military really causes me to value my time tremendously. I cannot see myself doing a mileage run just for the sake of gaining status or miles. Now I would definitely book an inexpensive trip somewhere long distance, spend a day or two there to have fun, and then come back with the bonus prize of extra MQM's and miles.
That is exactly my view.

The MQMs/RDMs might affect my exact decision, but I am taking a trip I will enjoy anyway.

Miles will come and go. Dollars will come and go. Years will just go.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:35 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I have a problem (well, many of them, just ask She Who Must Be Obeyed) -- my usual exercise is riding down the LA beach bike path -- which passes right underneath the take off pattern from LAX.

Yesterday it was the daily KLM flight to AMS -- I felt a little itch -- "I've been on that flight..." On the way back another 747, couldn't read the livery. "I wonder where that one is going..." By the time I got home I was ready to book a ticket -- anywhere, just get me on a plane

That being said, I don't do "pure" MRs -- I like to visit new places. So I usually stay 2 or 3 nights (or longer).

I did a pure MR one back before the merger: LAX-MSP-IND-MEM-LAX for something like $100. Got upgrade on all four legs and drank a bunch a Jack, got some work done at the MSP WC, all in all not a bad day. Until the last segment. My seatmate was a Silver and had just scored his first upgrade. He was like a puppy, so excited. Then a sad look. "I'm just sorry my buddy didn't get upgraded too -- he was next on the list." I didn't have the courage to tell him that I wasn't actually going anywhere, just occupying a seat to earn some EQMs (and drink some Jack).

But I didn't offer to switch with his buddy -- that would be too much.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:39 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Perhaps I'm not a true mileage runner but I buy fares that I find posted in the MR forum at least once/year. But, I never fly to a destination and do an "immediate" turn but I did do a 25 hour turn to Lima, Peru in 2010 for bou coupe miles.

A week from Sunday I'll be flying to Cape Town with a one day layover in AMS on a really cheap fare out of JFK. I'll be in Cape Town for 6 days where I'll be doing a lot of scuba diving. Not a MR but I would have never gone there if it wasn't for the cheap fare and all of the miles. I'll also be going to SIN for my birthday later this year and I never would have gone if it wasn't for the $654 fare out of LAX.

I guess what I'm saying is I jump on these MRs but I always like to go explore the area when I do so. I wouldn't normally do so otherwise (i.e. quick turns). Now if DL offered some $25 fares to STL from MSP, I'd probably jump on a couple because I have no need to see the STL area because I'm so familiar with it.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by yohanson
Perhaps I'm not a true mileage runner but I buy fares that I find posted in the MR forum at least once/year. But, I never fly to a destination and do an "immediate" turn but I did do a 25 hour turn to Lima, Peru in 2010 for bou coupe miles.

A week from Sunday I'll be flying to Cape Town with a one day layover in AMS on a really cheap fare out of JFK. I'll be in Cape Town for 6 days where I'll be doing a lot of scuba diving. Not a MR but I would have never gone there if it wasn't for the cheap fare and all of the miles. I'll also be going to SIN for my birthday later this year and I never would have gone if it wasn't for the $654 fare out of LAX.

I guess what I'm saying is I jump on these MRs but I always like to go explore the area when I do so. I wouldn't normally do so otherwise (i.e. quick turns). Now if DL offered some $25 fares to STL from MSP, I'd probably jump on a couple because I have no need to see the STL area because I'm so familiar with it.
+1

I'm flying to Busan, South Korea in 3 weeks because I found a fare for $612 A/I so I booked it. I will have 4 days there to explore. South Korea was on my visit list, but nowhere near the top. The only reason I booked it was because it was cheap, I'd never been, and it seemed kind of interesting. I also jumped on the LAX-SIN fare, but I will spend a week in SIN. Again I would have never thought of SIN if the fare hadn't been super cheap, but I'm now super excited about it.

I went to Europe last October on pretty much the same premise. I found a cheap fare on tickets to Madrid, called up my buddy, asked if he wanted to go, he said yes, so I booked the tickets. Madrid had never really been on my radar but the price was right, so I figured what the hell.

I'm young, and up until 2 and a half years ago hadn't done any international travel outside of Canada. So now when the oppurtunity opens up to go somewhere dirt cheap, even if it's somewhere I had never even thought of, I take it. Because of that I now have Mexico, Ireland, Spain, Italy, and China marked off my list with South Korea, Japan, and Singapore booked.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by VVF
But this is precisely what I don't get -- isn't your time more valuable? There is no free lunch, and you are not getting 25K MQM for free -- you pay for it with your time, your sore rear, and then recovery. I can't see how it is worth it, the numbers just don't add up. As a DM, you would have to pay me for doing this trip, not getting my money!
Well, on that flight, you may very well be getting a free lunch.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:15 pm
VVF
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yohanson

You are right, these are smart trips, not true MRs. The fare was low, the destination was fun, so you are doing it and seeing the world -- what could be better? Good for you! If you stayed in CPT for a few hours and turned around, it would have been much more worrisome.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:21 pm
VVF
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ooompa Loompa
+1

I'm flying to Busan, South Korea in 3 weeks because I found a fare for $612 A/I so I booked it. I will have 4 days there to explore. South Korea was on my visit list, but nowhere near the top. The only reason I booked it was because it was cheap, I'd never been, and it seemed kind of interesting. I also jumped on the LAX-SIN fare, but I will spend a week in SIN. Again I would have never thought of SIN if the fare hadn't been super cheap, but I'm now super excited about it.

I went to Europe last October on pretty much the same premise. I found a cheap fare on tickets to Madrid, called up my buddy, asked if he wanted to go, he said yes, so I booked the tickets. Madrid had never really been on my radar but the price was right, so I figured what the hell.

I'm young, and up until 2 and a half years ago hadn't done any international travel outside of Canada. So now when the oppurtunity opens up to go somewhere dirt cheap, even if it's somewhere I had never even thought of, I take it. Because of that I now have Mexico, Ireland, Spain, Italy, and China marked off my list with South Korea, Japan, and Singapore booked.
Just like yohanson, this is wonderful! Seeing places all over the world on the cheap, especially when you are young, is spectacular! That's one of the great things about modern world -- it is pretty easy to get around, no need to plan for weeks or months, just hop on the plane and enjoy.

But these are (thankfully) not MRs for the sake of miles and status, nothing else. You are learning, seeing the world, and that's your first priority. Miles and status come secondary, if I read it right.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:22 pm
VVF
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Well, on that flight, you may very well be getting a free lunch.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:23 pm
VVF
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exwannabe
That is exactly my view.

The MQMs/RDMs might affect my exact decision, but I am taking a trip I will enjoy anyway.

Miles will come and go. Dollars will come and go. Years will just go.
Agree with you -- MQMs and RDMs are just a nice bonus.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:25 pm
VVF
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I have a problem (well, many of them, just ask She Who Must Be Obeyed) -- my usual exercise is riding down the LA beach bike path -- which passes right underneath the take off pattern from LAX.

Yesterday it was the daily KLM flight to AMS -- I felt a little itch -- "I've been on that flight..." On the way back another 747, couldn't read the livery. "I wonder where that one is going..." By the time I got home I was ready to book a ticket -- anywhere, just get me on a plane

That being said, I don't do "pure" MRs -- I like to visit new places. So I usually stay 2 or 3 nights (or longer).

I did a pure MR one back before the merger: LAX-MSP-IND-MEM-LAX for something like $100. Got upgrade on all four legs and drank a bunch a Jack, got some work done at the MSP WC, all in all not a bad day. Until the last segment. My seatmate was a Silver and had just scored his first upgrade. He was like a puppy, so excited. Then a sad look. "I'm just sorry my buddy didn't get upgraded too -- he was next on the list." I didn't have the courage to tell him that I wasn't actually going anywhere, just occupying a seat to earn some EQMs (and drink some Jack).

But I didn't offer to switch with his buddy -- that would be too much.
Love traveling and visiting new (and returning to favorite old) places too. Wouldn't get on a day+-long trip just for the sake of miles and nothing else though, even if that trip is nearly free ....
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:38 pm

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by VVF

But these are (thankfully) not MRs for the sake of miles and status, nothing else. You are learning, seeing the world, and that's your first priority. Miles and status come secondary, if I read it right.
True enough, but I am sticking with Delta as my primary carrier, so those miles and status will definately be nice. I've never had status with any carrier in my life, and this year I will definately hit gold. I also have 3 trips coming up for work over the next few months and if I can manage to get them all booked on Delta I might even hit platinum.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:55 pm
VVF
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Indeed it is a small percentage of fliers and frankly, some don't give a hoot about achieving elite status. Some game the system for VDB's. Some just love flying to different destinations. And some just do it for the RDM's, which are converted into award flts in F/BE. After all, if you are flying in front, how important is status anyway?

Maybe doesn't make sense to you but it sure does to others. This video by Gabriel Leigh (FT member) says a lot. BTW, he is working on a new, longer feature about flying...

http://vimeo.com/7167640
Thank you very much, a very interesting movie. I enjoyed it. Just finished watching. Understand some things better now, but not all. Have no problem with flying (and I mean just being on the plane, not traveling to a destination) being a hobby. That's fine. People like trains, cars, boats, why not being on the plane? No problem with that. Collecting miles as a hobby -- no, that just doesn't do it for me. Got well over 2M miles and somehow do not feel any more or less freedom. All these miles do not buy me time, the only commodity that $$ can't buy me either (the other way around is just fine, we all can earn $$ for our time).

If you get on a plane and travel half way around the world, then spend at least some time at the destination and see the damn place! Learn something new, taste the food, see the people -- live the life! I am fascinated by modern airports too, but -- with all respect -- can't imagine spending 4-5 hours there when I could see the city, Coronado, Old Town, waterfront, and so many places near SAN airport alone. "Living the life" in a lounge before getting into a coach seat for a few (often many) hours just isn't worth it for me.

I travel a lot too, mostly internationally, and love seeing places. I get an itch every time I look at a plane landing or taking off. I recognize the livery and think of the destination and the times I've been there. But I can't even imagine being stuck in a coach seat for hours, and only get miles/mqms out of it.

I guess, I learned to value my time; this is the only thing that I would never get back, and I don't have enough to spend with my family and accomplish what I want as it is. If I want an extravagant vacation, I earn the money and book it (and with all the miles, I can even get a few business tickets for free). I am relatively young, but I guess old-fashioned in some ways. Life's too short to spend on the planes and not see the places where these planes take you.

Anyway, thank you, Sez_Who, and thank you everyone else! I am learning a lot from this great forum once again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.