Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Ok to have two Same-Day, Overlapping Reservations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ok to have two Same-Day, Overlapping Reservations

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2012, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by RobertS975
I have made overlapping reservations many times without issues. There is no rule that says you must be certain which trip you are taking.
From the CoC:

E) Fictitious Bookings
Multiple bookings of a fictitious nature are prohibited by Delta. In the event Delta determines that an individual has confirmed such bookings to one or more destination(s) on or about the same date(s), the carrier reserves the right to cancel all confirmed space associated with the multiple reservations without notice to the passenger or the person making the booking.
And they do run sweeps to kick out duplicate or overlapping bookings.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 4:04 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by javabytes
And they do run sweeps to kick out duplicate or overlapping bookings.
Obviously it is not foolproof, since several above posters have done it without overlapping bookings being canceled.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by fti
Obviously it is not foolproof, since several above posters have done it without overlapping bookings being canceled.
There are many times one can get away with fraud.

Does that make it right?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 7:13 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exwannabe
There are many times one can get away with fraud.

Does that make it right?
Fraud is irrelevant in this case since this is not fraud
Old Feb 20, 2012, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by fti
Of course it's not foolproof... it is, after all, DL IT...
Old Feb 20, 2012, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by fti
Fraud is irrelevant in this case since this is not fraud
Intentionally providing incorrect information as part of a commercial transaction in order to gain an advantage?

Sounds like fraud to me.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Intentionally providing incorrect information as part of a commercial transaction in order to gain an advantage?

Sounds like fraud to me.
what advantage exactly? The OP wants to pay Delta TWICE and will only take one the flights. I am sure Delta will gladly take the money.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Nor is it fictitious unless you define every nonrefundable ticket reservation which one later learns they have to change as fictitious. Oh wait - I guess that's sort of what Delta has done with award tickets, at least those which you cancel within 72 hours of departure.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by cfischer
what advantage exactly? The OP wants to pay Delta TWICE and will only take one the flights. I am sure Delta will gladly take the money.
As a matter of fact that is indeed what I want to do.

And exwan's contention is baloney. There's a 15% chance I'll fly the original reservation and an 85% chance I'll fly the 2nd reservation itinerary.

If delta doesn't want me to pay them twice, I guess I'll have to pay another airline for the 2nd ticket.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 7:56 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GrizShel
And exwan's contention is baloney.
+1000. So booking and paying for two tickets is fraud? Pleeeaaazzzeee. Some people just need to get a life.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by fti
+1000. So booking and paying for two tickets is fraud? Pleeeaaazzzeee. Some people just need to get a life.
Don't know why we had to start with insults.

DL (and all carriers AFAIK) disallow this. The OP knows that. Posters are suggesting that he provide false information so as not be detected.

WN tickets are all refundable, why not just buy the entire plane out on your flight?

Why not buy 5 F refundable seats on every flight you are on to increase upgrade chances?

There is a very valid reason the airlines do not allow phantom bookings.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
There have been times when I was unsure exactly where I would have to fly after 'Selection Sunday'. Knowing I would be flying when the announcements were made, I called DL and booked multiple itineraries (8 total) during a single call. Departing the same city, two different dates. Different final destinations. Fully refundable tickets. No issues doing that.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:39 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BamaGirl
There have been times when I was unsure exactly where I would have to fly after 'Selection Sunday'. Knowing I would be flying when the announcements were made, I called DL and booked multiple itineraries (8 total) during a single call. Departing the same city, two different dates. Different final destinations. Fully refundable tickets. No issues doing that.
Delta couldn't have done that for you on the phone. They would have been assisting in committing fraud against themselves . Oh wait, you probably didn't give them your birthdate, right?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Well, you know about women and telling our age .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.