Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help on award tickets, please!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Help on award tickets, please!!

I am looking for 3 award tickets (Biz) from DTW to either BOM or DEL in Dec 2012. I thought I would start early to make sure I can find award tickets availbility. So, I checked DL website for award ticket availability for business class, but in whole of Oct, Nov, and Dec it shows only High Price in miles availability!!! I checked segment by segment, but still only High price miles available!! I also checked AF, but no availabilty. Can someone help me looking for low level award tickets availability? I am looking for the following dates:

1 Ticket: Outbound Dec 15 (+3 days); return on Jan 5 (+1 day)
2 Tickets: Outbound Dec 22 (+ 1day, return Jan 5 (+1 day (the same date as the first ticket))

Thanks.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by koolr
I am looking for 3 award tickets (Biz) from DTW to either BOM or DEL in Dec 2012. I thought I would start early to make sure I can find award tickets availbility. So, I checked DL website for award ticket availability for business class, but in whole of Oct, Nov, and Dec it shows only High Price in miles availability!!! I checked segment by segment, but still only High price miles available!! I also checked AF, but no availabilty. Can someone help me looking for low level award tickets availability? I am looking for the following dates:

1 Ticket: Outbound Dec 15 (+3 days); return on Jan 5 (+1 day)
2 Tickets: Outbound Dec 22 (+ 1day, return Jan 5 (+1 day (the same date as the first ticket))

Thanks.
If you dont have a flying blue account at www.klm.com please create one.
Then search on klm.com or airfrance.com for low award availability.

Then once you have the flights, dates, and costs ... call the DL Phone number and ask them to make the booking using your DL SMs.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Forget the 12-22 outbound. I bought my x-mas flights weeks ago and there was a reason. For the earlier departure it makes sense to check AF/KL for O-class but it will be very difficult.
I am generally complaining about award availability but I can understand the limit it for the holidays.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer
Forget the 12-22 outbound. I bought my x-mas flights weeks ago and there was a reason. For the earlier departure it makes sense to check AF/KL for O-class but it will be very difficult.
I am generally complaining about award availability but I can understand the limit it for the holidays.
I have a FB account and searched, but did not show any availability. The problem with DL is that all of Oct, Nov, Dec shows only High price in miles, not just near the holidays!!
Old Feb 13, 2012, 5:29 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Actually, a 12/23 outbound is trivial doing JFK-CDG-DEL/BOM (O9 both routes). Departure from IAD is also wide open. Try to find a DL Y seat to get from DTW to JFK or IAD since there's no O on the DTW-CDG flight. The problem is that there's nothing ex-India on AF/KL during the dates you want to return.

OP can't be using FB to search yet, as they won't show inventory more than 10 months in advance, so 13 Dec is the last date available there.

I can't imagine finding 9W award space is going to work out very well, but it might be worth a call to DL. If you can get from India to Europe, your odds of finding a way back on AF/KL go way up.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 6:46 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

SkyPesos can be so frustrating. I am looking to go to ZRH or IST in March, and Star availability puts Sky to shame. And I have zero status on Star.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 7:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by vatraveler
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

SkyPesos can be so frustrating. I am looking to go to ZRH or IST in March, and Star availability puts Sky to shame. And I have zero status on Star.
On air france site it looks like there is TATL availability for a pair of biz seats just about every day in March from muliple gateways. I assume the problem is getting to the US gateway or maybe the europen legs, or potentially with the way you're searching. Getting across the ocean is not a problem.

You did pick 2 star alliance hubs as well.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mtkeller
Actually, a 12/23 outbound is trivial doing JFK-CDG-DEL/BOM (O9 both routes). Departure from IAD is also wide open. Try to find a DL Y seat to get from DTW to JFK or IAD since there's no O on the DTW-CDG flight. The problem is that there's nothing ex-India on AF/KL during the dates you want to return.

OP can't be using FB to search yet, as they won't show inventory more than 10 months in advance, so 13 Dec is the last date available there.

I can't imagine finding 9W award space is going to work out very well, but it might be worth a call to DL. If you can get from India to Europe, your odds of finding a way back on AF/KL go way up.
Thanks very much. I could find low level availability from IAD - BOM on outbound 12/23 if I change my return date to 1/8. However, if I view the award calendar, it shows only High level availability. Yea... DL search IS broken.

btw, what website do you use to serch for the award availability?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Thanks very much. I could find low level availability from IAD - BOM on outbound 12/23 if I change my return date to 1/8. However, if I view the award calendar, it shows only High level availability. Yea... DL search IS broken.

btw, what website do you use to serch for the award availability?
The award calendar ONLY searches DL flights, which is why it will only show high if all you can find for low are AF/KL/HA/AS flights. I tend to use the FB engine if within 10 months. For your inquiry, I used ExpertFlyer.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mtkeller
The award calendar ONLY searches DL flights, which is why it will only show high if all you can find for low are AF/KL/HA/AS flights. I tend to use the FB engine if within 10 months. For your inquiry, I used ExpertFlyer.
Thanks. Now the only problem is, if I add DTW - IAD in multisearch option, the miles required are 160,000 instead of 120,000. I will call DL and find out if they can find low level from DTW.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Thanks. Now the only problem is, if I add DTW - IAD in multisearch option, the miles required are 160,000 instead of 120,000. I will call DL and find out if they can find low level from DTW.
As prescribed in the sticky

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ss-awards.html

try a one-way search for DTW-IAD to find a Low band segment (in coach or first) to add to the IAD-destination segments you've already found.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 2:10 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
That is why a poster above recommended looking at DL in coach to get to the gateway (or just buy a separate ticket for that).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.