Wiki Posts
Search

Occupied Palestinian Territories

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmr50
Staten Island = Occupied New Jersey?
Frankly, I'm more comfortable calling them the "Occupied Territories," rather than the, "Palestinian Territories" (though I hope there will be a Palestinian state soon). However, the distinction is minor and not meant to suggest a political position on the issue.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 9:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Well, if they are going back past mandates and whatnots... maybe they should just call it land of the Canaanites...
Old Feb 9, 2012, 12:56 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by JamesMarcus
I agree, some person had the task of listing areas that they service.
No, someone had the task of listing every region on the face of the earth, as has been pointed out by the inclusion of Andorra, Vatican City, and the Pitcairn Islands.

However someone should have oversight of what is said on their website. Delta had issues back in May - June of 2011 with Israeli passports. They got out of that one but should have been more careful and more sensitive of racial or potentially anti semetic issues.
I think some extremist political activists need to calm down rather than regularly targeting any situation that they think they can construe as antisemitic or anti-Israel. The situation with SV joining ST was blown out of proportion to a much greater degree than this mess.

There is clearly no airport in any Palestinian areas, occupied or not. Totally incorrect.
See comment above. This has nothing to do with the presence of an airport in a listed region.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by JamesMarcus
There is clearly no airport in any Palestinian areas, occupied or not. Totally incorrect.
There is no airport that has scheduled service, however, the Gaza Airstrip (GHK) does still operate, and receives regular supply planes, although its runway is only 2,625-ft long.

This is not be confused with the Gaza Airport (GZA), which was destroyed by Israeli bombing in 2001, and was the only airport in the Palestinian Territories that was properly equipped to receive regular passenger services. During its brief existence, it served as the base for Palestinian Airlines.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Can I get a ticket to the Occupied Wall Street Heliport?
Old Feb 9, 2012, 7:08 pm

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_tp3Lp4z_I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Found this on dansdeals. Absolutely hysterical
Old Feb 9, 2012, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by mendel k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_tp3Lp4z_I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Classic...I laughed so hard I was in tears

Linda was such a good sport!
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:40 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AirTran A+ Rewards
I won't get into the terminology debate. However, this cannot be compared to most situations. Sure, tourists to the West Bank can use TLV, however ask a Palestinian how they travel. It is near impossible for them to use TLV since Palestinian travel documents are not universally recognized. AMM is the more usual, though further away, choice.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 9:29 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Originally Posted by mendel k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_tp3Lp4z_I
How about sending it t Delta to train their phone reps?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 8:43 am
Suspended

Lighten Up

Originally Posted by ariyo15
How can DL possibly consider TLV "occupied Palestinian territory?" Jeez Louise!
Lighten up, already. To get to the West Bank one must go to Israel. You can fly to TLV or go via road from AMM, but you first need to get to Iserael.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 7:43 am

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by ariyo15
How can DL possibly consider TLV "occupied Palestinian territory?" Jeez Louise!
They also call Taiwan Chinese Taipei. I don't know why. It perhaps has something to do with their routing into TLV. Do they fly the aircraft over airspace of some arab country that requires it to be called that way? I know that if you fly from India/Far East cross the peninsula to Israel, you won't be able to access UAE/Saudi airspace if you report your flight being heading to "Israel". It is also impossible for EU carriers to fly over Lebanon for their TLV flights.

Also it might have something to do with SV entering ST this year.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
Lighten up, already. To get to the West Bank one must go to Israel. You can fly to TLV or go via road from AMM, but you first need to get to Iserael.
True. If you must have travel documents enabling you to entre Israel in order to access the westbank, even if you are going over land from AMM.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller
No, someone had the task of listing every region on the face of the earth, as has been pointed out by the inclusion of Andorra, Vatican City, and the Pitcairn Islands.

I think some extremist political activists need to calm down rather than regularly targeting any situation that they think they can construe as antisemitic or anti-Israel. The situation with SV joining ST was blown out of proportion to a much greater degree than this mess.

See comment above. This has nothing to do with the presence of an airport in a listed region.
Please be reminded that arabs are also semitic people. Anti-Israel is not the same as antisemitic,
Old Feb 11, 2012, 7:50 am

Except, remember - there is no such thing as palestinians.

Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb
Please be reminded that arabs are also semitic people. Anti-Israel is not the same as antisemitic,
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb
"Anitsemitism" was a term invented in the 19th century by a German named Wilhelm Marr as a "socially acceptable" alternative for the term Judenhasse -- Jew hate. The term has never meant anything other than hatred of Jews and has absolutely nothing to do with, "peoples of semitic origin." Perhaps unsurprisingly, those who insist that anti-semitism applies to all semitic people are, usually, anti-semites. It is possible to be anti-Israel without being anti-semitic, i.e. disapprove of Israel, but not of Jews, generally. All too frequently, however, those two go together and the usual give-away is when someone says, "Since Arabs are semtic, it's not anti-semitic to be anti-Israel."

I'm sure it was only your lack of knowledge of both history and the English language that prompted your post, rather than any inherent anti-semitism on your part.

Right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.