Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do LUT fares ever come back?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Do LUT fares ever come back?

I was looking at some early March BWI-LAS, LAX-BWI fares a couple days ago and saw a flight I liked at 1pm. I was planning to use the Delta companion cert which requires a LUT fare. Then I checked online and this flight had been changed to a K fare. Is there any chance it comes back or should I just get a different LUT fare before those change as well?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by duke2013
I was looking at some early March BWI-LAS, LAX-BWI fares a couple days ago and saw a flight I liked at 1pm. I was planning to use the Delta companion cert which requires a LUT fare. Then I checked online and this flight had been changed to a K fare. Is there any chance it comes back or should I just get a different LUT fare before those change as well?
My experience is that once they fill a certain bucket they do not open it back up unless something happens like AC change (bigger). Pull the trigger when you see sLUTE fares...#1 rule.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:03 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM
Originally Posted by avidflyer
My experience is that once they fill a certain bucket they do not open it back up unless something happens like AC change (bigger). Pull the trigger when you see sLUTE fares...#1 rule.
My experience is very much the opposite ... literally just yesterday I bought a ticket on DL 31/30 on a date where the lowest available bucket had been bouncing around (per both expertflyer.com and test bookings on delta.com and Expedia) from U to Q to K to L to U (not necessarily in that order) throughout the day. When expertflyer showed L was available (as in M9 Q6 K1 L1) I tried to pull the trigger, couldn't get that on delta.com (surprise surprise), seemingly could on expedia, only to have it come back and reprice $200 higher. Then an 30 minutes later a single U seat showed as available, I called the DM line and got it ticketed as such.

Or to give another example, for a good six or eight months solid in 2011 you could not book a seat on DL 31 (SVO-JFK) for the last week of the year (a time of great demand on that route) for less than an M fare, even though the plane was pretty clearly half empty. Then starting in early December, when DL realized it just wasn't going to sell out at that price, Q and even K seats started becoming available.

Granted those examples were from international routes, but I've seen the same situation domestically. If DL's algorithms predict that a given flight won't sell out at the current fare, it is not uncommon for DL to reopen seats in a lower bucket. Of course there is no guarantee of this; and it's less likely to happen when you are talking about a flight that is still five or six weeks away. If the trip is semi-optional or you are flexible on dates, you can wait and see. Of course then you also risk that the flight will only get even more expensive, if the available buckets sell out as predicted by the algorithm (or faster). You also have to make sure that you don't wait so long that you can't abide by the applicable fare rules (which, however, are are lot more relaxed than they used to be ... even T doesn't necessarily entail an advanced purchase).
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've recently noticed CHI, which is very competitive right now, and DCA fares flipping around a lot. Neither market seems to just go up monotonically as the travel dates approach. In fact, I've been observing that these fares are very volatile right now. Fares also seem to be pricing as one ways, even for sLUT, which surprises me.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jan 31, 2012 at 12:33 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:25 am
Original Poster

The flight I was looking to book was DL1845 + DL1490 (DCA-DTW-LAS) on 3/2. Is there some way to confirm it did go from LUT to K in the past couple of days?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:36 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM
The flight I was looking to book was DL1845 + DL1490 (DCA-DTW-LAS) on 3/2. Is there some way to confirm it did go from LUT to K in the past couple of days?
experflyer is showing it as L9 U0 right now. I'd call Delta!
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Hmm...I called in and they said they do see the L availability but on the delta.com it shows only as K...
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Certs call for round-trip fares while the OP contemplates open-jaw.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Certs call for round-trip fares while the OP contemplates open-jaw.
Yeah just discovered that...will have to re-arrange my flights. I'm still confused as to delta.com and their phone agent telling me different fare classes though
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
I've seen LUT fares open up many times later on.

Also, I have noticed on some segments (e.g. NY-MIA/FLL) that they will sometimes offer a round-trip T fare a few days out, if they are only selling H or Q fares since you're within a 3 day window
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Much simpler rule: fare @ 4 cpm or less? Buy!
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Careful, if this is the AMEX companion cert, then availability of a LUT fare doesn't necessarily means that you can use your cert. If there are not LUT fares then for sure you can't use your cert though.

The only way to know for sure if you can actually use your cert is to check the special booking page on delta.com for certs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.