Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades Fading?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2012, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Upgrades Fading?

I just checked the upgrade list for tomorrows flight and there is no chance I'll get an upgrade as Platinum. That puts me below 50% for the year so far which is my worst January that I can recall. How are others faring? I'm concerned that enough have been able to buy into Platinum that it has now become the new gold.

On a related note, does anyone that has the Amex Reserve card have any info on how much help in the rankings it actually provided in real world situations?
Old Jan 29, 2012, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
Originally Posted by learned
I just checked the upgrade list for tomorrows flight and there is no chance I'll get an upgrade as Platinum. That puts me below 50% for the year so far which is my worst January that I can recall. How are others faring? I'm concerned that enough have been able to buy into Platinum that it has now become the new gold.

On a related note, does anyone that has the Amex Reserve card have any info on how much help in the rankings it actually provided in real world situations?
Until Feb or Mar when the next year for elite status kicks in things will be tough for PM (Like me) getting an UG especially in Msp where I am. I had Delta Reserve Card and dropped it. The elite miles are helpful but dont' count on it for helping with UG's. It's just how many DM show up and how many of PM are left and what fare. I am trying to figure out whether UA is a better match for me out of Msp. No UG but I can buy E+ and then easily get status to their mid level after about 6 months. But E+ has many more rows of seats than DL with Ecomony +. If I want to go first I can now buy an UG (buy up) or use miles. The whole system is screwed up but back to your question. I'm going to not use DL unless I have too because they are high elite heavy (IMHO) especially with DM's who are even complaining on getting UG's so anyone below are screwed.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, EY Plat, MM Senator
They most certainly are, especially on the medallion-heavy tcons. Very much depends on your days, times, and routing. There are several threads here on this bery topic (the upgrade success and disappearing upgrades); sorry, I can't search at the moment to post a link. One thing for sure: medallion numbers are grossly inflated due to many promotions, so things may improve a little after March 1, but I would not hold my breath. Capacity is down, medallions are too many, and people are willing to pay discounted First, at least on certain routes. I am sorry and feel for you, but am afraid that may be the new reality.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by glbetrotter
They most certainly are, especially on the medallion-heavy tcons. Very much depends on your days, times, and routing. There are several threads here on this bery topic (the upgrade success and disappearing upgrades); sorry, I can't search at the moment to post a link. One thing for sure: medallion numbers are grossly inflated due to many promotions, so things may improve a little after March 1, but I would not hold my breath. Capacity is down, medallions are too many, and people are willing to pay discounted First, at least on certain routes. I am sorry and feel for you, but am afraid that may be the new reality.
Glebtrotter stated it as it is! Plan accordingly!
Old Jan 29, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL-PM/SC; UA-1K; HH Diamond
As a DM, I am getting my UG's, but in my 12 segments in January, I only got one at the window. The rest have either been battlefield or a few days out. For example, I didn't get the UG for my ATL-MCI tomorrow until this past Friday. I historically got it at the window last year. Ymmv
Old Jan 29, 2012, 6:58 pm
Used to be HSDebateCoach

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat, MR Plat Premier, Hertz Presidents Circle
I am at 3 for 9 eligible about to become 3 for 10 as I sit in the ATL SkyClub as number 10 of 36 for 3 seats to SFO.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL PM,UA MP(former 1K), Hertz 5*G, National Emerald Club, SPG, Marriott Silver
I left UA premier exex/former 1k for DL on a status match this month and my first two flights (lga-ATL roundtrip even with a confirmed standby 2 hours prior as a gold) Resulted in an upgrade.. The grass is not greener on the other side. Ua/Co is a mess customer service wise and I very much had a good experience on dl.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL Kryptonium & Diamond & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by bartmas777
As a DM, I am getting my UG's, but in my 12 segments in January, I only got one at the window. The rest have either been battlefield or a few days out. For example, I didn't get the UG for my ATL-MCI tomorrow until this past Friday. I historically got it at the window last year. Ymmv
I am having a similar DM experience.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL: 2MM/DM Marriott: LT Platinum
After being 95+% in 2011, I have started 2012 with 2 out of 4. (Both years as DM/MM)
Old Jan 29, 2012, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by bartmas777
Fairly similar story here as DM. Currently sweating out MSP to LAX tomorrow on an H fare...
Old Jan 29, 2012, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by HSDebateCoach
I am at 3 for 9 eligible about to become 3 for 10 as I sit in the ATL SkyClub as number 10 of 36 for 3 seats to SFO.
Yep....this is my fear. I realize I can buy up or buy F but the "promise"/"expectation" the FF program put forward is not delivering. I can live with truth and reality but think we are being overpromised! Especially at PM level. God help those below us.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
I'm PM and I've got 3 out of 4 flights so far this year... My SO is PM also and he was #38 on a list of around 60 on Thursday night flying from ATL to TPA... Agreed, with the promos last year, this is the new reality. It might get a little better after March 1, but I'm sure it will be different than other years...
Old Jan 29, 2012, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
GM and am 7/8 this year.

It's all about when/where you're flying.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 7:33 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
As a PM out of Atl last year I hit about 90% UG's. Sofar this year I'm 4/5 and both flights next week already upgraded.
It will get a little easier at the end of Feb!!!!!! I'll be dropping to siver
Old Jan 29, 2012, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL FO MM, AA EXP MM, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I am 15 out of 16 so far this year; I missed DFW-ATL, on a Friday morning. (I was #3 for 2 avail seats). I usually always get this when I travel on a Thursday, as mentioned: "It's all about when/where you're flying".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.