Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Reduced baggage allowances on international flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Hi all. I read the Flyertalk forums constantly and find them a valuable resource, but this is my first post.

Question - I flew from JFK to TLV in April and at that time, medallions were allowed to take 2 bags up to 70 lbs at no charge. I checked the rules again today, and it looks like now medallions are limited to 2 bags at 50 lbs at no charge, unless seated in F. Did anyone else notice this? Anyone try to take overweight bags and get in trouble?
Old Jan 29, 2012, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
That is correct. Economy to Tel Aviv is now limited to one free 50 pound bag and, as a Medallion member, you are authorized a second free 50 pound bag.

However, it gets worse than that.

Normally, as a Medallion member on a domestic flight you are allowed 2 free bags at 70 pounds each. However, if your domestic segments are part of an international itinerary, you are allowed only what the international segments allow.

Let's say, for example, that you live in Los Angeles and want to spend a few days in New York both before and after flying to TLV. If you pack more than 50 pounds in any bag it will be subject to overweight baggage fees for all four segments.

(If you are connecting directly to/from your TLV flight, you will be charged only twice.)
Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:47 pm

Programs: DL (suckered me into) Diamond, ICH Plat RA, SPG Plat
I just ran into the same problem flying from LAX to HKG a couple of weeks ago. I had only 1 bag to check in and it weighed 60 lbs. Agent said I owed Delta money for an overweight bag. As Plat and Diamond for the last 10 years, I've never paid a penny to put a bag on delta. I was completely shocked. Manager later over-rided it saying the rule is new and to pack lighter next time.

I'm surprised there wasn't a bigger uproar. I bring equipment with me for business travel and this is a major annoyance. Delta seemed to have pulled this over on everyone without notice.

Do Delta FF's here not care about this change? This is a much bigger deal to me than the 72-hour award cancellation window.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:31 pm

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
Originally Posted by boxweaver:18106491
I just ran into the same problem flying from LAX to HKG a couple of weeks ago. I had only 1 bag to check in and it weighed 60 lbs. Agent said I owed Delta money for an overweight bag. As Plat and Diamond for the last 10 years, I've never paid a penny to put a bag on delta. I was completely shocked. Manager later over-rided it saying the rule is new and to pack lighter next time.

I'm surprised there wasn't a bigger uproar. I bring equipment with me for business travel and this is a major annoyance. Delta seemed to have pulled this over on everyone without notice.

Do Delta FF's here not care about this change? This is a much bigger deal to me than the 72-hour award cancellation window.
Do a search, we did complain, but since when did complaining change anything
Old Mar 1, 2012, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by boxweaver
I just ran into the same problem flying from LAX to HKG a couple of weeks ago. I had only 1 bag to check in and it weighed 60 lbs. ...
I have this problem as well. I have started checking two suitcases so I can avoid fees. I would much rather have the option of one 75-lb bag or two 50-lb bags. It can't change weight and balance that much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.