Wiki Posts
Search

To board or not to board

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2012, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Starwood Gold, JetBlue, Marriott Silver, Hilton Honors
To board or not to board

How strict is the list? I was 2 out of 6 earlier today and went to the gate.i asked the GA if the upgrades had cleared. He asked my name, looked at his computer and said it will be my lucky day. They started boarding and i notice another passeneger talking with a different GA and he got a new slip when he handed the boarding pass. I begin to board with rest of zone one, and both gate agents are there. I ask my guy if i should wait, or board. He is about to say I have FC and looks at the computer and then his mouth opens wide in a little shock. He confers, quietly, with the other GA and then she says, the last FC pax checked in, but if he doesn't show, they will come get me. My question, if i had gone to the front before the other passenger ( who i think got my upgrade), would i have been given the FC seat?
Old Jan 25, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
No you were #2, number one got there so they cleared. Possible also that someone with higher status or fare SDC to your flight.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 6:48 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
They are strict about the queue unless you board.

So unless you are comfortable that the GA really intends to fetch you, it is best not to board until upgraded, or until the upgrade is hopeless.

The lack of certainty about "will the GA come on board to upgrade a boarded pax" is a major complaint.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by exwannabe
The lack of certainty about "will the GA come on board to upgrade a boarded pax" is a major complaint.
DL rules say they will remove you from the UG list once you've boarded but I have seen it happen the other way many times. Would be nice if DL changed their rules so that #1 on the list stays #1 even after boarding but it is hit-or-miss.

Seems that if a GA has a few minutes, they will take the time to seek out the #1 but if they are hurried to get the boarding door closed, this part always seems to get pushed under the bus.

Best thing to do is ask the GA for their opinion prior to the boarding process beginning. Maybe by putting a face to the UG, it might be enough to help.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: Delta Millionmiler and DM HH Plat Priority Club Plat
I can only comment on my personal experience just last fall on a flight from SLC to Jackson Hole. Was #1 on the upgrade list but FC seats left so I boarded. Just prior to closing the door, the GA boarded the plane and told me they had a no show for FC and moved me up. Perhaps no one was left in the gate area on the upgrade list.

Either way, it was my lucky day.

As Diamond I am 3 of 6 for upgrades this month. Suspect the Diamond pool is the largest now until the end of Feb when those that did not requalify drop off.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 9:17 pm

Programs: Diamond Hilton, Titanium Marriott, Delta DM, President Circle Herz, NIGHTS IN OWN BED 2022 28
Diamond pool is enourmous right now becuase of all of last years promotions, should shrink this year as delta did not do as many promos, now if only we can get it back to BIS Miles/ segments then we would really see some good numbers i'm 5/6 on flights with FC this year as a DM. Upgrade may have went to a SDC. I once SDC to a flight at the gate and stole someone's upgrade, turn out to be a FO in line behind me (he was sporting his FO tags) I felt bad so I gave him my seat..........See FO all DM are not evil
Old Jan 25, 2012, 9:50 pm

Programs: United Gold Elite, former multi-year Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I was on a transcon, SAN-JFK a few weeks ago. I waited until everyone had boarded (had been #2 on the list with 0 seats). At the very end, I ask if FC has boarded full. "Yes, Mr. Youngdlplat." Then, right then, the GA gives a boarding pass to a non-rev and tells her to give a FC boarding seat to the passenger she will be displacing. Non-rev FA boards in front of me, gives a FC boarding pass to the guy sitting one row behind me. He moves up, and I take my place in Y.

Now, the guy who got the UG was ahead of me initially on the UG list. So had he waited he would have been entitled to the seat But in theory he lost his place when he boarded, and I was next in line.

Especially for a flight as long as that, it just really, really upsets me that DL doesn't actually enforce one strict policy or another. I don't care how it is, but just make it consistent. And of course, why would it be the case that the one time they decide to come back and get someone who had already boarded would be the time I was next in line for the UG on a five hour flight?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:36 am

Programs: DL/PM/2MM TK*G
I strongly hope that DL process upgrade according to UG list regardless of PAX is still out there at boarding gate or already on board.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 1:21 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Hertz #1 Gold
The inconsistency in how battlefield upgrades are handled has been a MAJOR source of discomfort for DL frequent flyers. I think most of us would accept the protocol if only we knew what that was. For some GAs checked in full means boarded full. For some the list remains unchanged no matter who has already boarded, for others once you board you're off the list. I believe the official policy is that once you board you are off the list but application of this policy is so inconsistent who knows?? If I'm on the battlefield and have a good chance for victory I wait 'til the end to board.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 8:14 am

Programs: Delta
Had an interesting experience just this past week end at TPA. When the upgrade list got down to 2 or 3 seats and I was number 2 on the list. The gate agent announce that (three of us) should hold up boarding for possible upgrade... and got it!

This was the first time I remember that announcement occuring and held up boarding a few minutes and there was the upgrade. Having been upgraded once or twice before after boarding (I didn't refuse) but was a little akward, so I appreciated this way of dealing with last minute "on the bubble" upgrades. Has it been like this for some time and just didn't notice? Or is this a fluke at this specific gate and agent? It was a great way to handle it in any case.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: DL EOS...
Originally Posted by cruise2006
Had an interesting experience just this past week end at TPA. When the upgrade list got down to 2 or 3 seats and I was number 2 on the list. The gate agent announce that (three of us) should hold up boarding for possible upgrade... and got it!

This was the first time I remember that announcement occuring and held up boarding a few minutes and there was the upgrade. Having been upgraded once or twice before after boarding (I didn't refuse) but was a little akward, so I appreciated this way of dealing with last minute "on the bubble" upgrades. Has it been like this for some time and just didn't notice? Or is this a fluke at this specific gate and agent? It was a great way to handle it in any case.
Some GA's do it that way and I appreciate it. When on the bubble I always just try to check with GA during a slow moment and get a feel for how they'll handle bfug's.

I enjoy getting pulled up after boarding though. Especially after dealing with a difficult seat mate!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: Starwood
Originally Posted by Diamondkellen
Diamond pool is enourmous right now becuase of all of last years promotions, should shrink this year as delta did not do as many promos, now if only we can get it back to BIS Miles/ segments then we would really see some good numbers i'm 5/6 on flights with FC this year as a DM. Upgrade may have went to a SDC. I once SDC to a flight at the gate and stole someone's upgrade, turn out to be a FO in line behind me (he was sporting his FO tags) I felt bad so I gave him my seat..........See FO all DM are not evil
awww...arent DMs the nicest?....we all know those PMs are the evil ones
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: Starwood
Originally Posted by Krankenfaren
How strict is the list? I was 2 out of 6 earlier today and went to the gate.i asked the GA if the upgrades had cleared. He asked my name, looked at his computer and said it will be my lucky day. They started boarding and i notice another passeneger talking with a different GA and he got a new slip when he handed the boarding pass. I begin to board with rest of zone one, and both gate agents are there. I ask my guy if i should wait, or board. He is about to say I have FC and looks at the computer and then his mouth opens wide in a little shock. He confers, quietly, with the other GA and then she says, the last FC pax checked in, but if he doesn't show, they will come get me. My question, if i had gone to the front before the other passenger ( who i think got my upgrade), would i have been given the FC seat?
the other passenger got your upgrade??? uhmmm, arent you a GM? It could have been a PM or DM, or non-medallion with paid F, that SDC'd to your flight.

I often do SDC 1hr to 15mins before a flight or show up late, and will encounter some medallions waiting for that battlefield. Its always a sad day when the GA advises them to board as the passenger has arrived .
Old Jan 26, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM; AS MVP-G
I've had a major issue with this (as many others have), but I have yet to truly test the 'policy'.

If (and from what I understand, it is) truly POLICY...hard and fast RULE... that you lose your spot on the upgrade list once you board... then I would have a seriously hard time if there was 1 F seat available, I was the only person who hadn't boarded, and a GA told me to board because he/she was going by the 'original list'.

What would you do in this situation? In a perfect world, I would demand to see a redcoat. The problem is, by the time this all happens, they are moments away from dispatching the flight and could easily shut the door without me on the aircraft.

I suppose if I were really testing this system, I would ask the gate agent from the beginning what they intended to do if they ended up with a no-show... and if they said they would go by the original list, I would seek a redcoat.

Has anyone else actually tested the policy this way?

Additionally, I am one who believes in the ORIGINAL UPGRADE LIST and not the ridiculous policy now in place.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 1:06 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Krankenfaren
the last FC pax checked in, but if he doesn't show, they will come get me. My question, if i had gone to the front before the other passenger ( who i think got my upgrade), would i have been given the FC seat?
If you hadn't boarded, you should have received the UG. Once you board, all bets are off.

Originally Posted by ciao114
I strongly hope that DL process upgrade according to UG list regardless of PAX is still out there at boarding gate or already on board.
At this point, the policy is to process UG's based on those pax who have not boarded. A couple of us have EMails from DL to show it. I have no problem with DL pulling people up front once they boarded, but only if that is their stated policy. State a policy and stick to it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.