Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL-DFW, roundtrip is over $700...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
ATL-DFW, roundtrip is over $700...

Subject says it all... why is ATL-DFW over $700 roundtrip? I looked in February and out in April... still the same thing.

I figured with AA competing on this, it'll be lower. Any idea why? This sucks.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL - Platinum SPG - Gold, Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Platinum, IHG - Platinum
Southwest will start flights to DAL (Dallas love-field) starting Feb.. that should be a cheaper option
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
I imagine this is the impact of FL being booted out of DFW. Sure, WN may be a cheaper option once they start service. But the Wright Amendment keeps them from flying non-stop between ATL and DAL. Thus, DL is likely to charge a premium for non-stop ATL-DFW service.

I have a trip to Dallas planned in March and I went ahead and used miles.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sunnydel
Southwest will start flights to DAL (Dallas love-field) starting Feb.. that should be a cheaper option
Those flights are required to stop in a wright amendment city on the way to dallas.

Truth is, it costs that much because DL believes someone will pay that much. I've paid (or rather, the client has paid) nearly $400 to fly DFW-MCI with 2 airlines on the route. Keep watching the fares, they'll probably change three times in the time it takes you to read this...
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: United 1k ; SW A+ Preferred; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Because they can. It's only AA and DL now N/S and with each having a major population hub at either DFW or ATL, the O&D traffic is probabaly 80% of the seats. This is a gravy train for them right now. They can probbaly raise fares even higher and still be full.

There are however, multiple fares in the $250-350 range on other airlines, with stops.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by ryerflyer
There are however, multiple fares in the $250-350 range on other airlines, with stops.
Not for what I need. I need to fly to DFW in the morning, work all day, and fly back to ATL that evening.

Both DL and AA provide the flights, but both charge over $700 to do it...

The poster above that mentioned AirTran's pull-out propobably hit the nail on the head... ugh, this hurts my chances of profitability.

The client wants a low fee for the work, but they want me to include expenses in the fee... Tough to do when the flight is so expensive.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Not for what I need. I need to fly to DFW in the morning, work all day, and fly back to ATL that evening.

Both DL and AA provide the flights, but both charge over $700 to do it...

The poster above that mentioned AirTran's pull-out propobably hit the nail on the head... ugh, this hurts my chances of profitability.

The client wants a low fee for the work, but they want me to include expenses in the fee... Tough to do when the flight is so expensive.
No offense, but I wish $700 was expensive for my day trips.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Wow...and to think I spent $719.40 on LHR-MIA-ATL-DFW-LHR (on AA) for my trip this past weekend...and it would've been the same had I gone through DFW on the flight to ATL...
Old Jan 17, 2012, 1:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If it is not pricing as two one ways, the problem could be that the same day turnaround violates minimum stay rules for the cheaper fare codes. What happens if you try to book two RTs with longer stays?
Old Jan 17, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: Former AA EXP; 2M Lifetime PLT member-
fly to HOU from DFW on AA and then get a flight on DL or southwest to ATL

or go DAL-AUS (or HOU)-ATL on Southwest-- a lot cheaper!!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 1:47 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Subject says it all... why is ATL-DFW over $700 roundtrip? I looked in February and out in April... still the same thing.

I figured with AA competing on this, it'll be lower. Any idea why? This sucks.
Take another look at it -- they reset the buckets for a trip I'm planning.

Bob H
Old Jan 17, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Seams like this would be a good candidate to spend 25k miles on as the route does not pay many MQMs anyway.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
ATL-JAN used to be $900 RT no matter when you booked it. Day trips a lot of times seem to cost a good bit more too. There are just some cities that cost a lot.... on certain routes... especially if Air Tran does not have a matching NS...

In fact, I bet there are 30 cities priced like that out of ATL that are under 1500 miles...
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Try LGA-DTW (weekdays only) or LGA-DFW on AA. I routinely see these routes $900-1200 for round-trip coach fares. Planes are full, and people will pay a premium for nonstop routes.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by Tower18
Planes are full, and people will pay a premium for nonstop routes.
It's economics people!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.