Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How often should I call about KE award?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2012, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM

I am in the process of putting together a trip to asia for next fall. I want to go on KE because of the A380 and the 120k biz redemption. I am having a tough time on putting it all together cuz of the lack of transoceanic availability. the Dl reps say keep calling. How often should I call? Weekly? Daily? Twice a week? Thanks for insights!
Old Jan 8, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, Alaska Gold MVP, Expedia Elite Plus, Amex Reserve.
That is a very interesting question I am in the same boat as you. I was told the same thing as well, I just don't know the meaning of the word often as per the DL agent. The only reason I want to fly K Air is for the A380 nothing else. Or perhaps I will just settle for a trip to Europe on AF A380 out of LAX. I will call to again and see f I vet lucky.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 3:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Plat.
I guess I was lucky. In one phone call, I found 2 separate tickets to Southeast Asia (via KE18/17) in late March. Unfortunately, i couldn't find any two Prestige awards together for the transpacific segments.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: dl diamond, spg plat
Not sure if this is a new development, but you can check award availability online at koreanair.com. Note that, for me, the international award search only worked correctly with IE (not Firefox).

Call Delta once to get the blackout dates around the time that you're looking to travel (which are different than the blackout dates listed on KE.com) and then keep checking online until the flights that you want open up.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
Originally Posted by JustinMSP
I guess I was lucky. In one phone call, I found 2 separate tickets to Southeast Asia (via KE18/17) in late March. Unfortunately, i couldn't find any two Prestige awards together for the transpacific segments.
Me too. I called to book some tickets for my wife, son, and sister-in-law from ATL to ICN. I was all ready to concede and route them through DTW, but on a lark I asked to agent to look on KE and she found three tickets for 70K each on the dates I wanted (I already knew the blackout dates ahead of time). Through the whole process I was waiting for her to come back and tell me that it had been rejected or whatever, but in less than an hour o was able to book three KE tickets at the low level. Quite a jackpot from my experience. Maybe things are getting better.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by thebaron
Not sure if this is a new development, but you can check award availability online at koreanair.com. Note that, for me, the international award search only worked correctly with IE (not Firefox).

Call Delta once to get the blackout dates around the time that you're looking to travel (which are different than the blackout dates listed on KE.com) and then keep checking online until the flights that you want open up.
That inventory doesn't match the inventory KE makes available to DL members. If there's no inventory using SkyPass miles, you won't find it using SkyMiles, but just because it shows available there (and is outside the dates DL blacks out KE) doesn't mean you can get it with SkyMiles. As to blackout dates, there's a thread around here that contains them, so no need to call.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
well depends when you want to fly because of the huge blackout windows.

I got 3 KE J class seats, but not on the A380.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM
Update

Well I made my booking and it turned out to be OK! I was looking at making JFK my starting and ending point but switched to LAX. So get this. LAX-ICN-PEK-ICN-HKT-ICN-LAX. All biz with an A380 in there for 165K miles and 88$ in taxes! Not bad; DL miles are great as long as you use them on a partner carrier!

Last edited by sectflyer; Jan 8, 2012 at 9:49 pm
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:31 pm

I got a great agent and was able to book lax-nrt on KE President's day weekend. A330 on the way there and A380 on the way back conntecting through ICN. Had much better availability than Delta. 120k miles. Had luck with AF to europe as well. You just have to play around with it and find a good agent.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 1:33 am

Programs: A3 *G, fmr DL PM
Originally Posted by sectflyer
DL miles are great as long as you use them on a partner carrier!
True dat.

Here are the blackouts:

ANY KE FLIGHT
10SEP 11 THROUGH 14SEP 11
01OCT 11 THROUGH 03OCT 11
09DEC 11 THROUGH 31DEC 11
01JAN 12 THROUGH 08JAN 12
20JAN 12 THROUGH 25JAN 12
01MAR 12 THROUGH 04MAR 12
04MAY 12 THROUGH 06MAY 12
18MAY 12 THROUGH 01JUL 12
14JUL 12 THROUGH 26AUG 12
28SEP 12 THROUGH 03OCT 12
07DEC 12 THROUGH 31DEC 12

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.