Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SDC - cost?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2012, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

SDC - cost?

I've SDC'd numerous times in the past year, and did it again today to hop an early flight home. This time, I was charged $8.21. I've never been charged before. When I asked the rep what the charge was for, she said it wasn't a change fee or fare difference, but some kind of technical charge. I didn't understand it, and since I was driving to the airport in a rush to make the flight I didn't have time to query her further about it. Has anyone ever encountered this before? Is it new, or just new to me?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 5:02 pm

Some routings incur more taxes and fees than others. Sounds like you were charged the difference.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by ssk1127
I've SDC'd numerous times in the past year, and did it again today to hop an early flight home. This time, I was charged $8.21. I've never been charged before. When I asked the rep what the charge was for, she said it wasn't a change fee or fare difference, but some kind of technical charge. I didn't understand it, and since I was driving to the airport in a rush to make the flight I didn't have time to query her further about it. Has anyone ever encountered this before? Is it new, or just new to me?
Did you go from a non-stop to a connection? I've been asked to pay landing fees & any applicable taxes when going from non-stop to connection.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Did you go from a non-stop to a connection? I've been asked to pay landing fees & any applicable taxes when going from non-stop to connection.
This. Even the same routing but different time of day can cause this too.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:40 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
It's just because of different routing if I'm not mistaken. Certain hubs charge more than others.

When I SDC'ed earlier this week, I switched from going through MEM to DTW and it was a $4.50 charge. I asked why and she informed me that it was due to the change. If I had taken another flight through MEM...no change, ATL...no change. DTW? Yep, change. Not sure how that works, but not too bothered by it.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
In May'11 - was travelling FLL-ATL-MSP ... called to SDC to the FLL-MSP direct flight.

Got a refund of $12.xx which were the taxes paid for the via ATL itinerary.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stylo4444
It's just because of different routing if I'm not mistaken. Certain hubs charge more than others.

When I SDC'ed earlier this week, I switched from going through MEM to DTW and it was a $4.50 charge. I asked why and she informed me that it was due to the change. If I had taken another flight through MEM...no change, ATL...no change. DTW? Yep, change. Not sure how that works, but not too bothered by it.
That should not be the case. ATL should be treated the same as DTW. DTW, ATL, SLC, and MSP all have a $4.50 PFC (passenger facility charge). CVG's PFC is $3.00, while MEM does not have a PFC. There is also a $2.50 per segment TSA fee (with a maximum of $5.00 one way).
Old Jan 6, 2012, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I've done plenty of SDC changes in the past year. When I first started doing it I'd get charged more taxes if I added a segment, these days I don't get charged at all. ^ to DL for this, it'd be such a hassle.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 8:00 am
Original Poster

It was the same routing via ATL, earlier flight on the same day
Old Jan 6, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, BA Gold, TK Elite
Technically, it's because of the taxes/fees, but in reality, it's not always charged.

One time it was significant was when I tried to do a SDC on a ticket that was purchased last August during the time that they stopped collecting FAA taxes.... well when the agent came back she said it would cost $53.49 to do the SDC. I said no thanks and just did it at the medallion counter at SFO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.