Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New to Delta -- Any challenges that don't require status match?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, Marriott PM, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*

Hello,
It's been awhile since I frequented FT. Years ago I lived in DFW and attained AA Platinum flying 2-3 times a week. Since then I've moved to Athens, GA and took a job that did not require travel. Last week I accepted a new job that will have me doing 3-4 RT a month out of either ATL or GSP to IND.

I'm curious if DL has any unpublished challenges for people like me without current status on any airline but who know they have a decent amount of business coming up in the future. I faxed in a copy of my current AA status showing a half million miles without any status and they replied back with a form letter saying to mail them a copy of my card.

If there is no challenge to be had I guess I'll just do it the hard way. I'll have to start out by flying out of ATL but after awhile I can add a segment by flying out of GSP. I guess I could also sign up for the Delta Reserve card to pick up 10,000 MQMs.

Any other suggestions for someone starting out with DL?

Thanks
Old Dec 30, 2011, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
yetter,

Welcome to the DL forurm. I do not know of any outright challenges that DL partakes in (others might). Look on the boards for some of the AMEX related deals for earning MQMs and status - it varies in addition to the Reserve card.

Good luck!

robin
Old Dec 30, 2011, 6:39 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Definitely start out by getting a DL AMEX card, as you're basically a FO with Zone 2 boarding, minus the upgrades.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 9:54 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
DL offered some deals this year where pax could attain FO/GM status just by flying a couple r/t's. It may pop up again in a few months so keep your eyes open here.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
DL offered some deals this year where pax could attain FO/GM status just by flying a couple r/t's. It may pop up again in a few months so keep your eyes open here.
Weren't these offers targeted?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:01 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Weren't these offers targeted?
Maybe so. Sorry, just remember lots of posts about them here. Maybe next year targeted, maybe not(?). Maybe only for DL AmEx card holders(?). Guess we will see next year, maybe around the time DL announces the 2012 changes to the Medallion program.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, Marriott PM, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
I hope so. I already have 5 r/t's booked for 2012.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:52 am

I asked the same question and didn't get much help either..

Soon you will get a PM from someone to get a CC that will give you 10k MQm and another one for a business account 10K MQM..
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by kingrat
I asked the same question and didn't get much help either..
Unfortunately, there is not a lot of help to be had. If you do not have status on another airline there is no opportunity for challenge. You'll have to gain status the old fashioned way - earn it. As noted above, AMEX may help, however, so you may want to avail yourself of that option.

Welcome to the DL "family". Bookmark this forum and visit often - there are some very savvy frequent flyers (I don't consider myself in that number) who can teach you a lot. And even better, there is a tremendous amount of wit here!! (And I don't consider myself in that lot either!)

Last edited by Buckshot; Dec 31, 2011 at 1:39 pm
Old Dec 31, 2011, 8:10 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Amex Centurion, Delta Reserve
They will match

My friend just moved from a Continental hub city to a Delta hub city, and he was a Platinum Elite with Continental. He faxed Delta his mileage statement, and Delta agreed that if he flew 30,000 miles in 90 days, they would grant him platinum on Delta. He did fly that, and they matched his status for 2011-2012.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Fortunately, IND is a good city for Delta fliers. A shiny new Sky Club...(heck, a shiny new airport) and pretty good success rate for upgrades for lower status fliers. You'll quickly figure out which flights are PM heavy and which aren't. Also, DL flies very few RJs into IND...almost always two-cabin aircraft.

I made the jump from AA to DL when I moved to IND from DFW.
I was considering jumping back earlier this year, but decided not to.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 9:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by usrleetch3
My friend just moved from a Continental hub city to a Delta hub city, and he was a Platinum Elite with Continental. He faxed Delta his mileage statement, and Delta agreed that if he flew 30,000 miles in 90 days, they would grant him platinum on Delta. He did fly that, and they matched his status for 2011-2012.
This sounds like they offered you a status challenge on the basis of your status with a competitor, not a match. Your title is misleading.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by usrleetch3
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This sounds like they offered you a status challenge on the basis of your status with a competitor, not a match. Your title is misleading.
+1, challenge not "match".
Old Jan 1, 2012, 12:46 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Amex Centurion, Delta Reserve
Challenge yes, match I guess not

I apologize for my misleading title. I should also have explained that if you can show multiple elite memberships (one world, star alliance), they have matched in the past. With the devaluation of miles and of SM/GM status, they may even match those with just a single elite membership. If you know you're going to fly a lot, accept the "challenge." What's cool is that they gave my friend PM status in the mean time while he was attempting to fly the challenge miles. I guess I can safely call it a "temporary match, conditions apply; otherwise expect a challenge." Happy New Year
Old Jan 2, 2012, 4:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
instant DIAMOND status

Originally Posted by yetter
Hello,
It's been awhile since I frequented FT. Years ago I lived in DFW and attained AA Platinum flying 2-3 times a week. Since then I've moved to Athens, GA and took a job that did not require travel. Last week I accepted a new job that will have me doing 3-4 RT a month out of either ATL or GSP to IND.

I'm curious if DL has any unpublished challenges for people like me without current status on any airline but who know they have a decent amount of business coming up in the future. I faxed in a copy of my current AA status showing a half million miles without any status and they replied back with a form letter saying to mail them a copy of my card.

If there is no challenge to be had I guess I'll just do it the hard way. I'll have to start out by flying out of ATL but after awhile I can add a segment by flying out of GSP. I guess I could also sign up for the Delta Reserve card to pick up 10,000 MQMs.

Any other suggestions for someone starting out with DL?

Thanks
Here is how you can get instant DIAMOND status:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/deltap...siness-flyers/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.