Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta's Holiday Military Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2004, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Delta has extended this very noble program for the duration of Operation Iraqi Freedom R&R Program. Again, kudos to DL for this!

Edited to add the R&R Program qualifier.

[This message has been edited by DLfan (edited Jan 20, 2004).]
Old Jan 22, 2004, 4:47 am

Location: Mesa, AZ., USA, DL Gold,CRC,WN whatever,AA nobody,HHonors Diamond,Starwood Gold, could careless about Rental Car Co's.
Didn't DL or other airlines do this same thing post 9/11 for Police and Fire employees? Sure would be nice if they still did.....'never forget.'
Old Jan 22, 2004, 7:18 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AIRcop:
Didn't DL or other airlines do this same thing post 9/11 for Police and Fire employees? Sure would be nice if they still did.....'never forget.'</font>
Delta is making this offer only for soldiers on leave or on transfer from the Afghanistan and Iraq wars (presumably as long as they last). What would the corresponding restrictions for policemen and firemen be? Do you mean access to Crown Rooms forever?
Old Dec 26, 2005, 12:51 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
CRC access for military

Saw this referenced in a local newspaper and looked up the press release:

http://news.delta.com/article_displa...ticle_id=10014

Delta is providing a "military lounge" during the holidays, very cool...and apprently, nothing new, as it appears they do this each year at ATL.

But the article goes on to say that they will also allow access to active military to all CRC locations. I'm not a CRC member, but didn't this issue cause a lot of overcrowding and other issues when it was last done a couple of years back, or am I thinking of another airline?
Old Dec 26, 2005, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold
I visited the lounge 2 weeks ago and it was rather nice. It is funded by DL and other businesses (Chik-Fil-A, etc.) Anyway, I had no idea that they are allowing CRC access to active duty personnel. That press release, which I saw last week, is the only mention of it that I have seen. They are keeping it very quiet, it would seem. The signs in the middle of the ATL concourses don't allude to the fact that one can enter a CRC w/ a mil ID. I also have not noticed anyone in uniform in a CRC lately, but others may have.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
If Delta is allowing active military into CRCs, I think it's a great gesture! ^
Old Dec 26, 2005, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Here we go again ... why not active cops, or firefighters, or office workers? We are all doing jobs we are paid to do.

If we had a draft my response would be different.

Flame away ...

[Edited to add:] I hope mikey1003 doesn't see this!

Last edited by vasantn; Dec 26, 2005 at 3:03 pm
Old Dec 26, 2005, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
Here we go again ... why not active cops, or firefighters, or office workers? We are all doing jobs we are paid to do.

If we had a draft my response would be different.

Flame away ...

[Edited to add:] I hope mikey1003 doesn't see this!

Yes, they are doing the job they are paid to do. Here is the difference. Firefighters are not getting shot at everyday, office workers aren't either, even a cops job is 1000% safer than what our soldiers are doing. These VERY BRAVE men and women have chosen to serve their country. They are protecting your freedom and helping to ensure our safety.

Is it not fair that they get to have lounge access and other professions do not? Yes, it probably isn't fair (for those with other professions), however life isn't fair sometimes. We all should go out of our way to thank a soldier and that is exactly what Delta is doing. Semper Fi (AJ)!
Old Dec 26, 2005, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by HawaiiDave
I also have not noticed anyone in uniform in a CRC lately, but others may have.

Unless they're straight off the plane going to or from Iraq/Afghanistan, you won't see large numbers of active duty military traveling in uniform. The military encourages personnel to wear civies when traveling now, especially when traveling on leave. This is the result of the 1985 hijacking of a TWA flight out of Greece carrying 153 passengers. Of those 153, one - a young petty officer - was in uniform. The terrorists singled him out for special treatment -beat him, tortured him, killed him, and then threw his body out onto the tarmac.

So, a military person may well be using the CRC today, but you might not know it unless you happened to see him/her show the receptionist a military ID.

I, for one, applaud Delta for making CRC facilities available to the military, and I don't mind one bit sharing the space with them. Even crowded space. I only wish other airlines would be as generous.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 3:22 pm

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Aug 1, 2007 at 12:53 pm
Old Dec 26, 2005, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Flyingmama
Unless they're straight off the plane going to or from Iraq/Afghanistan, you won't see large numbers of active duty military traveling in uniform. The military encourages personnel to wear civies when traveling now, especially when traveling on leave. This is the result of the 1985 hijacking of a TWA flight out of Greece carrying 153 passengers. Of those 153, one - a young petty officer - was in uniform. The terrorists singled him out for special treatment -beat him, tortured him, killed him, and then threw his body out onto the tarmac.

So, a military person may well be using the CRC today, but you might not know it unless you happened to see him/her show the receptionist a military ID.
Actually, many of the younger guys travel in uniform within the US when on holiday leave, as I saw this year in JAX. I haven't traveled in uniform since the late 80's, mainly due to the incident you cited. We have a ship named after that brave Sailor, USS Stethem (DDG-63). In fact, our "friends" in Germany just released his killer, Mohammed Ali Hamadi, as you may have seen in the news. So from an active duty Navy Chief, thanks for all of your support. It's nice to know we are appreciated when spending holidays away from family and friends in places all over the world.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by HawaiiDave
Actually, many of the younger guys travel in uniform within the US when on holiday leave, as I saw this year in JAX. I haven't traveled in uniform since the late 80's, mainly due to the incident you cited. We have a ship named after that brave Sailor, USS Stethem (DDG-63). In fact, our "friends" in Germany just released his killer, Mohammed Ali Hamadi, as you may have seen in the news. So from an active duty Navy Chief, thanks for all of your support. It's nice to know we are appreciated when spending holidays away from family and friends in places all over the world.
I don't know about the other military branches, but my son - a Marine - says they've been told in no uncertain terms never to travel in uniform. Except, of course, when boarding those World Airways charters in their cammies and battle gear - LOL.

Thank you for your service to our country, HawaiiDave. It is much appreciated.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 9:50 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K; Delta Silver Medallion (1MM); Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; National Executive
I was in the SLC CRC on December 17, and three young men came into the TV Room. They were dressed like ski bums heading home from Park City or Snowbird, casual clothes, knit caps, etc.

A CRC staffer came into the TV room and said something like, "I'm sorry guys, only those traveling to and from Iraq are allowed in here." Then he asked to see their orders. I didn't follow the full conversation, but the guys said something about the fact that they had returned from Iraq two weeks before and had to attend "school" prior to returning home.

So it appears that the CRC privelege for the military might be limited in some fashion. But I didn't hear the conversation well enough to provide more detailed info.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 10:07 pm

Programs: DL, SPG, UA
very cool of dl to do this for the troops, a nice break from military/combat life for a while during a trip to or from home, kudos
Old Dec 27, 2005, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I wish to make this very clear to everyone that the moderators will not allow this thread to turn into any type of political debate. Please stay on topic and refrain from turning this into an OMNI type of discussion.

Rssrsvp - Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.