Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I sponsored 3.75% of a SkyClub in DEN

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL DM/Marriott Plat
Being a DEN based DL flyer, I wish they still had the club room that used to be there, although thankfully flying out of Denver tends to painless enough that I can't say I have missed it too much.

At one point after they closed the CR, I was hoping that DL and AA might join forces and open some sort of joint club, but then AA had to go and jump ship to the A concourse. The only good thing about sharing concourse C with WN is that I occasionally poach one of those comfy leather chairs with power outlets they have in each gate area.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
It would be nice if they would open *something* in DEN. Even if it were one of the mini-SC type setups (e.g. MKE).
Old Dec 15, 2011, 1:37 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by milehighflyer
Being a DEN based DL flyer, I wish they still had the club room that used to be there, although thankfully flying out of Denver tends to painless enough that I can't say I have missed it too much.

At one point after they closed the CR, I was hoping that DL and AA might join forces and open some sort of joint club, but then AA had to go and jump ship to the A concourse. The only good thing about sharing concourse C with WN is that I occasionally poach one of those comfy leather chairs with power outlets they have in each gate area.
I usually still go up to the second level where the club was and sit in the chairs or along the wall (there are power outlets). It usually isn't as crowded as the main terminal.

Funny story: I was sitting up there after getting food from McDonalds. There was a family sitting across the open area with a small kid (2 or 3 years old). I was working on my computer and had my drink sitting on the floor. Next thing I know I see this kid run towards me, pick up my drink and take a big slurp through the straw. Dad then quickly ran over, grabbed the kid, whacked him on the bottom and took him back across the way without saying a word to me. I just had to laugh - and then go buy myself a new drink.

Last edited by TTT; Dec 15, 2011 at 1:55 pm
Old Dec 15, 2011, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GBadger
It would be nice if they would open *something* in DEN. Even if it were one of the mini-SC type setups (e.g. MKE).
Speaking of which... did anyone else get that survey some time ago (a year?) asking about mini clubs at non-hub locations?

I thought it was a great idea, until I read the part about them not serving alcohol...
Old Dec 15, 2011, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA (new!) Silver, AA Hater, Marriott Down to Gold, Hilton grunt
Those alcohol licenses are expensive in many states. Insurance can be a big deal too. More lawsuits against the license holders resulting from drunk drivers leaving the airport system and killing random people. Once again, a few morons are mucking up the system.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by javabytes
Silly airline pricing though... of the 75% margin they make on you, 70% probably goes to subsidize LUT flyers.
For this statement to have any meaning (i.e., 75% margin on high fares and loss that needs to be subsidized on LUT fares), you have to assume variable-cost costing for the high fares, and total-cost costing for the LUT fares, which makes absolutely no sense.

High-fare flyers provide most of the margin for the airlines, but low(er)-fare flyers provide the flight frequency business travelers want. Without the kettles, you'd probably have a couple of mainline flights a day to MSP, one to DTW, and one or two to ATL. Alternatively, to get today's flight frequencies in a one-fare environment, it would be RJ's for everyone (CRJ-200LR flying SEA-JFK anyone?).
Old Dec 15, 2011, 6:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
DEN Had a Crown Room

I haven't been to Denver in 5 years, but there was a Crown Room in the new DIA (I think there is an Admiral's Club on the same mezzanine) when I was there in 2006. Sadly, it got closed; I haven't read on FT that the space has been leased out to someone else.

Always a shame when a perfectly good club bites the dust, as has also happened at BWI, SMF, LAS, PHX, BHM, MCI, LGW, FRA and IAD (at least at IAD the club has been reopened by AF/KL).
Old Dec 15, 2011, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Detroiter
For this statement to have any meaning (i.e., 75% margin on high fares and loss that needs to be subsidized on LUT fares), you have to assume variable-cost costing for the high fares, and total-cost costing for the LUT fares, which makes absolutely no sense.
???

Why can't my cost model be the same? Two behinds parked on the same plane (taken to extremes: booked through the same channel, checked the same amount of luggage, weigh the same, eat the same amount of peanuts on the plane) cost me pretty much the same, and one passenger is profitable and the other isn't. You can have different kinds of margin. If you work in professional services like I do, it's a similar concept to project margin vs. business margin. One project can be profitable and another not, just like customers for airlines.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 8:03 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ND76
I haven't been to Denver in 5 years, but there was a Crown Room in the new DIA (I think there is an Admiral's Club on the same mezzanine) when I was there in 2006. Sadly, it got closed; I haven't read on FT that the space has been leased out to someone else.
Nothing in the space now. The whole mezzanine level is empty save for a few chairs and some back office type rooms. The AA club moved to A.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 4:08 am

Programs: Delta PM, HiltonHonors Gold
I'm not up to 3.75%, but probably 1-2%.... Hell, i"ll volunteer to work a shift behind the bar in your proposed Denver Sky Club every once and a while to help the cause!
Old Dec 16, 2011, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CrotonFlyer
I'm not up to 3.75%, but probably 1-2%.... Hell, i"ll volunteer to work a shift behind the bar in your proposed Denver Sky Club every once and a while to help the cause!
I'm planning to have a luxury bar in my new SkyClub...would you consider yourself to be a trained mixologist?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 7:02 am

Programs: DL DM/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TTT
I usually still go up to the second level where the club was and sit in the chairs or along the wall (there are power outlets). It usually isn't as crowded as the main terminal.

Funny story: I was sitting up there after getting food from McDonalds. There was a family sitting across the open area with a small kid (2 or 3 years old). I was working on my computer and had my drink sitting on the floor. Next thing I know I see this kid run towards me, pick up my drink and take a big slurp through the straw. Dad then quickly ran over, grabbed the kid, whacked him on the bottom and took him back across the way without saying a word to me. I just had to laugh - and then go buy myself a new drink.
I know exactly where you are talking about on the mezzanine level. One of my favorite places as well when I've got a while before my plane departs.

And as far as your story, at least the dad could have OFFERED to buy you a new drink?! To funny though!
Old Dec 16, 2011, 8:03 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA (new!) Silver, AA Hater, Marriott Down to Gold, Hilton grunt
Originally Posted by CrotonFlyer
You just want to meet chicks . . . Having played that card in college, I can say it "absolutely" works
Old Dec 17, 2011, 3:57 am

Programs: Delta PM, HiltonHonors Gold
Originally Posted by keloutwest
I'm planning to have a luxury bar in my new SkyClub...would you consider yourself to be a trained mixologist?
Lol...I was trained well enough to serve the free drinks, but hate having to work a register for the new paid luxury bar drinks. In my bar, just comps!
Old Dec 17, 2011, 9:07 am

For those of you that are too young to remember the good old days, DL once upon a time had a Crown Room in virtually every mainline city. Many of these were not staffed. You would show your card to an agent and they would give you the combination to the door. Then it was self service. The problem was that some people left quite a mess and others stole full bottles of booze. (Mrs. P, while waiting for me to arrive, would often clean up the MCI Crown Room, back when it was unattended.) Thus, over time, these smaller Crown Rooms were closed. (3 that come to mind were CLE, PIT, & STL.). Others were upgraded to full service, MCI being one of them, but that was susequently closed.

I don't recall the exact history of the Denver Club. At the old airport, Western had a very nice Horizon Club. The Crown Room at the new airport was very nice, but I have to confess that half of the time I was there, I wasn't flying DL. I really can't blame DL for phasing out CRC's at non hub cities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.