FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta GOGO 1 Year Subscription $399 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1288596-delta-gogo-1-year-subscription-399-a.html)

Ti22 Dec 7, 2011 3:26 pm

Gogo pricing structure is offensive enough and now this inbox insult?

Delta, stop talking and try to think what it's like to actually use the offered products, okay?

Diamondkellen Dec 7, 2011 3:32 pm

I will pay 399 when the speed is faster then 1997 AOL dial up

GRALISTAIR Dec 7, 2011 3:35 pm

Agree with all. Got the e-mail - very poor value IMHO. Free access in SkyClub anyway cant get it on a Transatlanti.c, so not for me.

GRALISTAIR Dec 7, 2011 3:37 pm

Free Gogo should be a choice perk for PM or DM.

Hear Hear

3Cforme Dec 7, 2011 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Diamondkellen (Post 17585252)
I will pay 399 when the speed is faster then 1997 AOL dial up

Have you actually measured speeds?

nabco Dec 7, 2011 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by nukchebi0 (Post 17584545)
Free Gogo should be a choice perk for PM or DM.

BIG +1....even if DMs could buy the Travelers Pass at a discount would be a plus...and for at matter PMs too!!!

mnredfox Dec 8, 2011 1:04 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 17586142)

When I tried the page just sat there and spun and spun...

nfg05 Dec 8, 2011 1:46 am

on par with the value of 670,000 mile J round trips to JNB

mooper Dec 8, 2011 4:51 am

Originally Posted by hoosiereph (Post 17583278)
The only value I can see is for corporate/client reimbursements -- If you are in a setting/relationship where you know that your travel will continue for the entire year, submitting the receipt once is way more convenient than doing so every month. :rolleyes:

+1 Also, you can take the full $399 as a deduction in the current year. If you have higher taxes this year than you expect next, that can be a good thing.

Originally Posted by delanet (Post 17584716)
What garbage, I got this offer this moring. Im honestly offended that they would even propose such a paultry offering its an insult to my intellegence. A discount of $1.62 a month or less than 5% while locking in for a year?!?!? Give me a break and stop spaming me worhtless crap Delta!

I agree that the discount is paltry and may not be worth it because by locking in, you pass up various freebies and promotions that could surpass the savings through the year. However, the talk about being "insulted" by "garbage" blows my mind. No one is forced to take the discount... pay the monthly rate if a couple bucks off per month isn't worth locking in for you, but why be insulted by something that is merely an option, nor requirement?

cxxviii Dec 8, 2011 7:19 am

RIPOFF

I see several folks beat me to the punch on this "deal" from Delta. I had my assistant go back and check out what I spent in 2011 (actually, she looked at several people who fly Delta all year long and charge internet to our corporate AmEx) - not one of us spent $399. I only purchased 9 monthly packages (and one flight at $5). Keep in mind that sometimes you buy yourself a week (or more) when one month ends and your next flight on Delta is not for another week (or more), so that during the "gap" your are not paying Delta for internet you can't use. This would depend on your flight patterns, of course.

Also, since internet was "broken" on my last 2 Delta flights, I've also yet to renew in December... on a yearly plan you'd be screwed in this case as well.

Terrible offer.

FishH2O Dec 8, 2011 7:36 am

seems like they have not found their price point:

should be:
-free for ALL medallion
-free for FC cabin
-no more than a cocktail in steerage

I would guess free internet access would be a selling point for airlines at virtually no cost to them?

jeff30189 Dec 8, 2011 7:50 am

Price vs. Value

Gogo should be complimentary in FC or at the very least a choice perk for Medallions.

Until the reliability of Gogo connectivity improves, its not worth what they are attempting to charge. I only buy when I know I have multiple flights in a month, and the pitiful 5% price break for the annual isnt worth it.

baccarat0809 Dec 8, 2011 7:55 am

Even though the dog has already been beaten down, I'll pour it on as well.

That amount is crazy. As others have mentioned the way my flight patters work out I only paid for 10 months of service during the year, even though I flew the entire year, as my flights don't come nice and orderly but tend to group together.

The only way I'd do this is if the discount was much, much greater. Nowhere near a bargain at what they want for it - unless, of course, they're planning to hike the monthly fees up.

mooper Dec 8, 2011 8:21 am

Originally Posted by cxxviii (Post 17588714)
I see several folks beat me to the punch on this "deal" from Delta. I had my assistant go back and check out what I spent in 2011 (actually, she looked at several people who fly Delta all year long and charge internet to our corporate AmEx) - not one of us spent $399.

Terrible offer.

Can you conceive of the possibility that others use it much more often and that spending $399 (maybe $250 after tax deduction) as an annual expense for corporate use could be a no-brainer? Sure, it saves only a couple of dollars per month over the monthly subscription, but it may be paid for at once and could be logical for those who know they'd be paying monthly otherwise.

Originally Posted by jeff30189 (Post 17588888)
Gogo should be complimentary in FC or at the very least a choice perk for Medallions.

Originally Posted by FishH2O (Post 17588790)
seems like they have not found their price point:

should be:
-free for ALL medallion
-free for FC cabin
-no more than a cocktail in steerage

I would guess free internet access would be a selling point for airlines at virtually no cost to them?

What basis do you have for saying it should be free, and where do you get the information that the airlines have no costs associated with the service? Even if the cost was very low, shouldn't they be charging for it if they believe it will increase net revenues (as might be indicated if people are paying for it now)?

I wonder why people often treat airlines like they are charities or public services. They are profit-seeking enterprises that should try to maximize profits. This can be done by pricing products and services in an appealing manner to attract more customers, but it doesn't entail offering everything possible free.

Originally Posted by baccarat0809 (Post 17588917)
That amount is crazy. As others have mentioned the way my flight patters work out I only paid for 10 months of service during the year, even though I flew the entire year, as my flights don't come nice and orderly but tend to group together.

What would be "not crazy", in your opinion? Do you remember a decade ago when per-minute charges for phone service would eclipse this annual cost in just a couple of business calls? I can understand you deeming it crazy *for you*, but do you think it is crazy if some business owners see this as a trivial cost in exchange for being able to do business on most flights without thinking twice?

This is a pricing *option*, people. You need not pay for internet whatsoever, and if you do, you can still buy per-flight or per-month if you deem this annual rate unappealing. I just don't get the accusations of an *option* being a "rip off" or "crazy".

blug Dec 8, 2011 8:40 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 17586142)

The speed of GoGo is OK in my experiences. The speed of ATL SkyClub WiFi is a totally different story though. :o