Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Which family members should be gifted gold?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which family members should be gifted gold?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond
Question Which family members should be gifted gold?

I am Diamond again, of course, and cannot decide what to do with my two gifts. I am married and have two tween daughters. Who becomes gold and who stays silver between wife, daughter one and daughter two?
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by senordiamante
I am Diamond again, of course, and cannot decide what to do with my two gifts. I am married and have two tween daughters. Who becomes gold and who stays silver between wife, daughter one and daughter two?
Welcome to flyertalk!

What are the family travel patterns? For example, does your wife travel without you and the rest of the family? Then it would make sense to gift her gold.

I am assuming your tween daughters are not travelling on their own. If this isn't the case, it might be beneficial to gift the status to them.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:59 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
:-:Welcome to FT OP!:-:

The one who flies more should get Gold because of miles.

But if you still can't decide, seniority is usually a good way to go.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA PS, MR Plt, A-Club Plt, HH G, Avis First
Always default to the Mrs.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
Welcome to FT,
I will lean towards golding either the one that travels more without you (so she has no 'DM' backup), or the one that does more international travel.

I.e. given W1,D1,D2. I assume W1 travels alot with DM. So, there is a DM (SC, priority access, etc.) backup. But, if she travels alone international flights, GM would be valuable to her.

If both D1 and D2 travel alone (but together), just randomly pick (or the one who does more travel alone), so that they would both have ST+ defense.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Are they all Silver already? If so, you won't be able to gift Gold to any of them.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by a7800
Welcome to flyertalk!

What are the family travel patterns? For example, does your wife travel without you and the rest of the family? Then it would make sense to gift her gold.

I am assuming your tween daughters are not travelling on their own. If this isn't the case, it might be beneficial to gift the status to them.
They travel equally (not much). It is more a question of status. My 8 year old really likes being gold. She would prefer my metal Diamond tag and the associated delightful clinking noise, naturally, but I don't see that happening.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, MM
Definitely do not gift it to the wifey and just pick whichever kid is your favorite.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
They travel equally (not much). It is more a question of status. My 8 year old really likes being gold. She would prefer my metal Diamond tag and the associated delightful clinking noise, naturally, but I don't see that happening.
In that case, it sounds pretty clear where the answer goes-
Actual status- to the wife.
bag tags to the girls.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by DLroads
In that case, it sounds pretty clear where the answer goes-
Actual status- to the wife.
bag tags to the girls.
This

If for some reason the wife doesn't want it, I would make a different selection from the DM choices.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM
Originally Posted by DLroads
Welcome to FT,
I will lean towards golding either the one that travels more without you (so she has no 'DM' backup), or the one that does more international travel.

I.e. given W1,D1,D2. I assume W1 travels alot with DM. So, there is a DM (SC, priority access, etc.) backup. But, if she travels alone international flights, GM would be valuable to her.
I disagree. Unless you always buy J, you should gift gold to whomever you travel with the most (not the least). This is because when you are travelling on one PNR with someone else, lower status prevails, not only in things like domestic UGs, but also the waiting list for Z upgrades into BE, op-ups into BE, etc. Travelling with a non-status or even FO travelling companiion will drag you, as a DM, way down in priority.

That said, I agree that if someone else is planning a LOT of separate travel this year, then that should take precedence.

Of course, if your wife would be annoyed if she didn't get it, that takes highest precedence of all.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:04 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
To keep the kids from fighting, neither. Gift the Wife gold and take the $200 for the Platinum benefit.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
My wife flies hardly at all but I gift her gold where on those rare occasions work takes her out of the country, she has access to the ST lounges (which she doesn't have otherwise). I then gift silver to my college-aged son which covers his checked bag fees and gains him an occasional UG.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:17 pm
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Can it be gifted to anyone you want? In that case might I suggest you gift it to whoever provided you with the best advice in this thread?

FWIW, I think this was some pretty sound advice; and I don't need luggage tags either.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
OP, you confused yet?

LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.