Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Actual Miles Flown vs Distance Pt A to B

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Actual Miles Flown vs Distance Pt A to B

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2011, 8:55 pm

The distance between two airports could vary by a few miles depending on the runways used, so how do the airlines determine a single point to use in calculating the distance between two airports?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by t325
The distance between two airports could vary by a few miles depending on the runways used, so how do the airlines determine a single point to use in calculating the distance between two airports?
The serious answer to a perhaps non-serious question:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airport_reference_point
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Here is my son's flight path on a LGA-ORD flight last summer. This section is about 100 miles east of ORD. They finally had to divert to IND, refuel, and then fly to ORD.

And no, he got nothing but the standard 733 miles between LGA and ORD
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
My issue is that they should clearly state if its Pt to Pt or if its based on actual miles flown. Simply saying that its complicated and a nightmare to track is not a good reason as why it should this metric is not used. I am almost certain that the metric of actual miles flown is captured on each and every flight. The question is if the airline is using pt to pt they should clarify it clearly in the T&C. The current T&C below does not clearly state if it is based on distance travelled or distance measured.

On nonstop and direct flights, mileage credited will be calculated based upon the distance from origin to final destination, regardless of the number of stops.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by tfong007
My issue is that they should clearly state if its Pt to Pt or if its based on actual miles flown. Simply saying that its complicated and a nightmare to track is not a good reason as why it should this metric is not used. I am almost certain that the metric of actual miles flown is captured on each and every flight. The question is if the airline is using pt to pt they should clarify it clearly in the T&C. The current T&C below does not clearly state if it is based on distance travelled or distance measured.

On nonstop and direct flights, mileage credited will be calculated based upon the distance from origin to final destination, regardless of the number of stops.
I am 100% positive that until the advent of GPS and its adoption by civil aviation, there was no way to track actual mileage flown. And airline mileage programs predate civil aviation's use of GPS by at least 10 years.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:59 am

Furthermore the T&Cs are fairly clear to me. It says it is the distance from origin to destination. Baring a notation to the contrary, I wouldn't expect anything other than the distance directly from orign to destination...
Old Nov 21, 2011, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
As far as I know the odometer pre-dates the GPS and all frequent flyer programmes. I am also fairly certain that every airplane has one. Needless to say fairly airlines track this metric religiously.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
As far as I know the odometer pre-dates the GPS and all frequent flyer programmes. I am also fairly certain that every airplane has one. Needless to say fairly airlines track this metric religiously.
Land vehicles have odometers, planes don't.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 9:11 pm

Programs: AS 75k
As far as I know the odometer pre-dates the GPS and all frequent flyer programmes.
Absolutely correct!
I am also fairly certain that every airplane has one.
Sorry, but airplanes aren't cars and don't have an odometer (at least in the context that you're using the term.) They do have devices that track engine and other hours.
Needless to say fairly airlines track this metric religiously.
True, for the hours metrics.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA Gold
The current T&C below does not clearly state if it is based on distance travelled or distance measured.

It says "the distance from origin to final destination," not "the distance flown on your partucular flight" or "the distance traveled on the average trip."
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
The real fun is if you have a "direct flight" (but not non-stop) for say ATL-DAY. You get miles for the straight line between ATL-DAY..but you actually stop in CVG to switch planes but you do not get the 500 minimum miles for the CVG-DAY leg because Delya coded it as a "direct flight"

Good times
Ugggh!! Dealing with this now. LHR-DET-SEA on FL#5, but switched planes, two different tickets, had to recheck/rescreen, 2 hour layover and I get credited for LHR-SEA. The mileage is fairly minimal (@1200?) but it's the principle of the matter! I just haven't had time to call and complain. My email thread with them was useless.

Why must common sense be so uncommon?!?!?!?!?!
Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:58 pm

1. I own an airplane, and there is no odometer in it. There is a tach timer and a hobbs meter. (See here and here)

2. I've flown perhaps 30 other light aircraft. None have had odometers.

3. You could theoretically set the GPS to keep a running record of your ground track mileage. In fact, my plane may even do this. But, it is an irrelevant figure that no one cares about except as a novelty.

4. An odometer works because the wheels spin on the ground and have a known circumference. Therefore you can calculate the distance they have travelled over land. Please explain how you think this concept applies to aircraft. The rest of us are dumbfounded.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by DaDaDan
Why stop there?

Clearly we should be credited with the mileage flown through the air, including the diagonal distances for climbs and decents as well as an accounting for the fact that distances traveled at ~30,000 feet are more than the distances traveled over the ground due to the curvature of the earth.
I'd stay quiet for fear that the airlines might review the whole measurement process and use the true straight line point to point distance (through the ground). Long haul flights like LAX to SYD would lose quite a few miles!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.