Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Insignificant Schedule Change on Award-Tips on cancelling or modifying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE

I booked a 32.5K award. (inbound was 12.5 outbound 20)
I have already used the inbound portion and the return is scheduled for the sunday after thanksgiving.
The sunday return flight DTW-ATL-LIT went from 850AM departure to 9AM departure. And the arrival went from 228pm to 237pm.
Is their anyway to either get the 20K miles refunded, or change the flight to a later date? I am not quite sure what to say and any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Stallion

Last edited by stallion114; Nov 17, 2011 at 2:23 pm
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:54 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I don't understand why you think you can get 20K miles refunded. The absolute lowest award level within the US is 25K so the most you would ever dream of getting back is 7,500 miles.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Well the flight was 32.5K roundtrip. 12.5K was for the segment I used in Aug and this segment was the 20K one.
I just realized where you came up with 7500. I initially said 20K if I could get the segment completely cancelled, I didnt even consider switching to a low level reward and getting the 7500 back and still flying.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 1:13 pm

Programs: Delta Ballast Medallion, Card Carrying Honorary KM
In a word, No. And your bag will go all the way to DTW if you check it.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
One way award flights cost the same as round trip. Best you could do is rebook somehow the round trip at the 25K level. No such thing as a one way award ticket on Delta.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

I guess my initial post was not clear.

I had an award flight booked on DL and have already flown the first segment.
The 2nd segment was booked at a 20K level and recently had a 10 minute schedule change.

Can I do any of the following:
-Cancel the flight and recieve a refund on the unused segment due to schedule change?
-Push the flight to a much later date?
-Push the flight back to the next day?
-Push the flight back to the late evening flight?

I am also fishing for tips as to how to plead my case to Delta.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 1:35 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by mnbp
One way award flights cost the same as round trip. Best you could do is rebook somehow the round trip at the 25K level. No such thing as a one way award ticket on Delta.
Yes there are one-way award tickets with Delta, but as you said in your first sentence, they cost the same as a round-trip award.

Originally Posted by stallion114
I guess my initial post was not clear.

I had an award flight booked on DL and have already flown the first segment.
The 2nd segment was booked at a 20K level and recently had a 10 minute schedule change.

Can I do any of the following:
-Cancel the flight and recieve a refund on the unused segment due to schedule change?
-Push the flight to a much later date?
-Push the flight back to the next day?
-Push the flight back to the late evening flight?

I am also fishing for tips as to how to plead my case to Delta.
Without a more significant delay, there is not much you can do. In any case, the least you would pay is 25K miles even if you don't take the return trip.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 2:03 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
I booked a 32.5K award in in August for LIT-DTW with the departure in Aug and return sunday after thanksgiving.
We had a change of venue and thanksgiving is now in DEN.
I was able to reroute my inbound on CO LIT-DEN-DTW and will just skip the last segment.
My Sunday Delta flight DTW-ATL-LIT went from 850AM departure to 9AM departure. And the return went from 228pm to 237pm.
Is their anyway to either get the 20K miles refunded, or change the flight to a later date? I am not quite sure what to say and any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Stallion
If you skipped the last segment of your inbound flight, the rest of your itinerary (ie, the outbound portion) was likely cancelled.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
A violation of Minimum Connect Time entitles you to rebooking. A change of 90+ minutes to departure or arrival time allows you to cancel - but DL one-way award pricing will not be helpful.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

I already flew the inbound portion of the award in August.
So all I have left on the flight is the return.

I would rather not fly the return on the date that is booked and I am looking for a way to either cancel or push back the date.
I am also looking for the wording or excuse as to why a 10 minute delay will not work for me. I thought of saying that I am catching a bus.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
I already flew the inbound portion of the award in August.
So all I have left on the flight is the return.

I would rather not fly the return on the date that is booked and I am looking for a way to either cancel or push back the date.
I am also looking for the wording or excuse as to why a 10 minute delay will not work for me. I thought of saying that I am catching a bus.
For a 10 minute change, I doubt they'd really buy the bus story.. Have you tried calling and asking what they may/may not do to help you?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

No I have not called yet, I was hoping to get a suggestion of what to say from someone here.
I understand it is minor which is why I am asking for help. If it was a 2 hour change I would have already called or changed it online.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
No I have not called yet, I was hoping to get a suggestion of what to say from someone here.
I understand it is minor which is why I am asking for help. If it was a 2 hour change I would have already called or changed it online.
Given the craziness of flying the Sunday after Thanksgiving, you could try to Same Day Confirm to a different flight...

Other than a last minute family emergency, I'm not sure they're going to be flexible with whatever "excuses" we could suggest on here.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

I am silver to SDC is not an option.
Ideally I want to bump the flight back to January or get a refund of my miles but it doesnt sound like that is possible.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 3:02 pm

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
sorry for asking, I don't want to sound rude or harsh, I just would like to understand... what is the problem in 10 minute delay? you risk losing another flight? or is it just the principle?

thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.