Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Open Jaw or Stopover Question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Open Jaw or Stopover Question

I tried first to get an award ticket for LAX-LIS-YUL-LAX, but Delta said is was impossible. Then I asked for a simple open jaw: LAX-LIS-YUL, but Delta again said no. I can understand the stopover not working because YUL is not a Delta hub. But I don't understand why the open jaw doesn't work. Is the Delta agent correct, or should I try again with another agent? If the open jaw (or the stopover, for that matter) is valid, what should I say to a doubting agent to help him or her find it?

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:11 pm

The open jaw must be shorter in distance than the other two segments. Since LIS-YUL is much longer than YUL-LAX, you don't qualify for an open jaw.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick response.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:41 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by akonradi
The open jaw must be shorter in distance than the other two segments. Since LIS-YUL is much longer than YUL-LAX, you don't qualify for an open jaw.
Huh?

LAX-LIS is 5,743 miles
LIS-YUL is 3,254 miles
YUL-LAX (the "open jaw") is 2,469 miles

Hence, the open jaw IS shorter in distance than the other two segments.

Originally Posted by libraryuser
I tried first to get an award ticket for LAX-LIS-YUL-LAX, but Delta said is was impossible. Then I asked for a simple open jaw: LAX-LIS-YUL, but Delta again said no.
What was the routing you found for these flights? My guess is that it is the routing. Also, you might not be able to start in one country (USA) and end in another (Canada), though I am not sure about that. Perhaps you could stop in YYZ or DTW instead of YUL? For sure you can have a stopover and an open jaw. I just haven't crunched through the possibilities on delta.com to see what might work. Use one-way award search, find low level for each segment of your itinerary. Then once you find what you want, plug it into multi-city to see what it gives you. Check the sticky on the first page about award bookings, which will help whether you are looking for J or Y awards.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
As fti notes, the OP has a valid open jaw LAX-LIS-YUL. Try another agent, and ask specifically for an Air France routing LIS-CDG-YUL. It fits under the MPM for Delta's published LIS-YUL. LIS-AMS-YUL is a problem.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both! It worked like a charm. I had the flight numbers and the "Air France routing" command ready. Also, I had a most charming and patient agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.